• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

rutgers report july

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

2 questions..

why would you make a completely new thread for this...

why do you swing from RUs nuts so hard, whats your infatuation with their program?

are you from jersey or something?

i am posting rutgers info

i have 10 or so friends that went to rutgers but i always root for usf to beat rutgers

i think schiano has done a great job at rutgers

i am from forest hills,queens,ny

thanks for asking

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2008CF1.jpg

Former Rutgers RB Ray Rice returns to Rutgers for autograph signing - but it'll cost ya

by Frank Della Femina/NJ.com

Thursday July 10, 2008, 9:35 AM

Star-Ledger Photo

Ray Rice in his Rutgers days.Sunday July 13, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Ray Rice returns to New Jersey for an autograph signing session at Scarlet Fever, Rutgers' sports apparel store.

However - it's going to cost you.

For $25 (per autograph, per item), the Baltimore Ravens' 2008 second round draft pick will make his mark on your memorabilia of choice.

Former center Darnell Stapleton will also be on hand for the signing. You can get his autograph for $10.

But wait - there's more!

Combine the two autographs and receive an 8x10 photo of each in a package deal valued at $40.

Did anyone think Ray Rice would return to Rutgers with an open money bag in hand?

Additional information on the signing is available at Sportsfanpromotions.com.

• Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

South Jersey WR switches to Rutgers

Thursday, June 26, 2008

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

Rutgers football commitment fever is apparently contagious now.

Wide receiver Shawney Kersey, who told Allen Wallace of SuperPrep Magazine two days ago that West Virginia was solidly entrenched as his leading college choice, abruptly changed his mind and gave Rutgers a verbal commitment last night, becoming the 18th player in the Scarlet Knights' class of 2009, according to Scout.com.

Advertisement

The 6-2, 185-pound Kersey, who also stars in track at Woodbury High School, told Scout.com that he had a change of heart after meeting Rutgers coach Greg Schiano. Kersey is rated a three-star recruit by both Rivals.com and Scout.com and is the 49th ranked wide receiver in the country according to both.

"I like Greg Schiano and everything about him," Kersey said. "He is a real person and he is looking to help me succeed. When I talked to him it seemed like he wanted me as a person as much as a player."

Kersey is the fourth player from South Jersey in the class and said fellow wide receiver Aaron Hayward of Penns Grove High, who committed to Rutgers last week, convinced him to join the fold.

"It's a shock," said Donald Forbes of Scout.com, who thought Kersey was West Virginia-bound.

Kersey told Scout.com he feels he fits better into Rutgers' offense than the Mountaineers' spread.

I grew up in South Jersey, which is why I live in Tampa now.  But, we used to love playing Woodbury, it was the "everyone gets to play" game.  Hell, I went to a Quaker school for two years and our Quaker Wrestling team used to beat them. 

• Content Count:  827
  • Days Won:  0

2 questions..

why would you make a completely new thread for this...

why do you swing from RUs nuts so hard, whats your infatuation with their program?

are you from jersey or something?

i am posting rutgers info

i have 10 or so friends that went to rutgers but i always root for usf to beat rutgers

i think schiano has done a great job at rutgers

i am from forest hills,queens,ny

thanks for asking

Just out of curiosity. You say Schiano has done a great job at Rutgers yet you bash Leavitt every chance you get. What has he done so extra ordinary that Leavitt hasn't?

• 3 weeks later...

SNY to be TV home of Scarlet Knights football

Thursday, July 24, 2008

BY BRENDAN PRUNTY

Star-Ledger Staff

Rutgers football has found its home. Its television home, that is.

As part of a conference-wide agreement between the Big East and cable outlet SNY, the Scarlet Knights will finally have an exclusive television home beginning this season. The deal, which was announced yesterday at SNY's studios in Manhattan, includes full coverage of Rutgers football, as well as head coach Greg Schiano's show, "Inside Rutgers Football."

Advertisement

In addition to carrying Rutgers football, the network will become the official television home for Big East football and college basketball. In all it will feature more than 800 hours of conference programming, including a Big East Game of the Week.

For the college basketball season, SNY will air a men's and women's Game of the Week and will partner with Rutgers, Seton Hall and St. Johns to feature games.

But for Rutgers football, it seems to be a win/win situation. Previously, the Scarlet Knights had been scattered in their non-national television coverage. The past two seasons, games that did not air on the ESPN family of networks were spread across stations like MSG and CSTV.

This deal centralizes the team's place in the New York market. In addition, the deal means that all of SNY's Rutgers programming will air in the Philadelphia/South Jersey market on its sister station, Comcast SportsNet.

Rutgers' Schiano says he's staying focused on 2008 season

by Josh Margolin and Ted Sherman/The Star-Ledger

Wednesday July 23, 2008, 9:52 PM

William Perlman/The Star-Ledger

Rutgers Head football coach Greg Schiano speaks to media at the SNY Big East Conference Press Conference at the SNY Studios in Manhattan Wednesday.After two days of revelations detailing a series of secret deals that enhanced his contract, Rutgers head football coach Greg Schiano said Wednesday his only focus is on the 2008 football season.

Schiano, at a New York news conference announcing a new television home for the Scarlet Knights, would not discuss any of the terms of his $2 million contract now under increasing scrutiny.

"What's important to me is my family and my football team," he said. "Thank God both of those groups are doing well."

Meanwhile the university refused to release a document spelling out one of several undisclosed changes to Schiano's employment agreement -- allowing the coach to walk away from his contract without penalty if the $102 million Rutgers football stadium expansion project is not completed on time.

University president Richard L. McCormick, who approved the agreement with Schiano last year, outlined on Tuesday the terms of the deal that would release Schiano from $500,000 in penalties if he broke his contract, should the stadium project falter.

Schiano, in New York for the announcement of a television deal between the Big East Conference and cable sports channel SNY, said the disclosures about his contract with the state university have not been a distraction.

"I don't worry about that stuff," Schiano told reporters following the SNY news conference.

The disclosures about the stadium guarantee and a separate arrangement by the university to pay Schiano an additional $250,000 a year in compensation through a vendor came after The Star-Ledger began examining the cost of athletics at Rutgers University.

Neither change in his contract had ever been publicly disclosed.

State Sen. Loretta Weinberg (D-Bergen) has called on the state comptroller's office and the state inspector general to investigate the hidden contract deals with Schiano.

Asked about any concerns he might have about the stadium project or the university's current financial situation, Schiano said he has no anxiety. "Collectively the university has a vision that I'm part of," he added.

The coach referred all contract-related questions to athletic director Robert Mulcahy, who was standing next to him.

"Our athletic director has addressed that and he probably will continue to address that. My focus really is the 2008 season," said Schiano, adding that he was a believer in the "chain of command" and that he, like the rest of the university's coaches, agrees with the policy that only Mulcahy can discuss contract and compensation details.

Mulcahy declined to speak with reporters.

McCormick, in a telephone interview Tuesday from San Francisco, said he has asked his staff to determine exactly how the side-letter agreements were reached and whether that process ought to be changed.

"There's no reason to think anything was done wrong," McCormick said. "But this is an opportunity to say can we do better here."

Senate President Richard Codey (D-Essex) said he "appreciates" the university's decision to open the compensation process to public scrutiny, but stressed Schiano is worth every penny Rutgers is paying him.

"What he's done to Rutgers University has been tremendous," Codey said. "The number of applicants is way up. The quality of students has always been good, but it's better. It's been great."

Codey described Schiano's salary as a bargain.

"When you compare what he's done to other coaches, he could be making millions some other place. I'm happy and I'm thrilled that he stayed," Codey said. "I think that Bob Mulcahy needs a lot of credit for selecting someone who's done so much for Rutgers University, making it a great brand name in both academics and athletics."

Gov. Jon Corzine, on a trade mission to Israel, also said Schiano has done an outstanding job, but added that he expects public business to be done in the open.

"I have a preference for full disclosure," he said.

medium_greg24

Former Rutgers lineman Zuttah signs with Buccaneers

by The Star-Ledger Sports Desk

Wednesday July 23, 2008, 6:30 PM

Chris Faytok/The Star-Ledger

Former Rutgers lineman Jeremy Zuttah, the 83rd pick overall in the 2008 NFL Draft, signed a contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Wednesday.Former Rutgers offensive lineman Jeremy Zuttah signed his first NFL contract Wednesday, according to the team's website. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Zuttah, taken by the Bucs at No. 83 in the NFL Draft in April, played in 44 games with 40 starts during his Rutgers career, starting his final 28 games. According to the Scarlet Knights staff, he did not allow a single sack during the 2006-07 seasons.

RUTGERS UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL COVERAGE

• Rutgers Football Home

Categories

• Practice reports

• Tom's take

• Politi's perspective

• Around the Web

• Frosh/soph report

• Recruiting

• Awards update

• Newspaper articles

• Campus buzz

• 2007 game coverage

Browse by week posted:

Select a date July 20, 2008 - July 26, 2008 July 13, 2008 - July 19, 2008 July 6, 2008 - July 12, 2008 June 29, 2008 - July 5, 2008 June 22, 2008 - June 28, 2008 June 15, 2008 - June 21, 2008 June 8, 2008 - June 14, 2008 June 1, 2008 - June 7, 2008 May 18, 2008 - May 24, 2008 May 11, 2008 - May 17, 2008 May 4, 2008 - May 10, 2008 April 27, 2008 - May 3, 2008 April 20, 2008 - April 26, 2008 April 13, 2008 - April 19, 2008 April 6, 2008 - April 12, 2008 March 30, 2008 - April 5, 2008 March 23, 2008 - March 29, 2008 March 16, 2008 - March 22, 2008 March 9, 2008 - March 15, 2008 March 2, 2008 - March 8, 2008 February 24, 2008 - March 1, 2008 February 10, 2008 - February 16, 2008 February 3, 2008 - February 9, 2008 January 27, 2008 - February 2, 2008 January 20, 2008 - January 26, 2008 January 13, 2008 - January 19, 2008 January 6, 2008 - January 12, 2008 December 30, 2007 - January 5, 2008 December 23, 2007 - December 29, 2007 December 16, 2007 - December 22, 2007 December 9, 2007 - December 15, 2007 December 2, 2007 - December 8, 2007 November 25, 2007 - December 1, 2007 November 18, 2007 - November 24, 2007 November 11, 2007 - November 17, 2007 November 4, 2007 - November 10, 2007 October 28, 2007 - November 3, 2007 October 21, 2007 - October 27, 2007 October 14, 2007 - October 20, 2007 October 7, 2007 - October 13, 2007 September 30, 2007 - October 6, 2007 September 23, 2007 - September 29, 2007 September 16, 2007 - September 22, 2007 September 9, 2007 - September 15, 2007 September 2, 2007 - September 8, 2007 August 26, 2007 - September 1, 2007 August 19, 2007 - August 25, 2007 August 12, 2007 - August 18, 2007 August 5, 2007 - August 11, 2007 July 29, 2007 - August 4, 2007 July 15, 2007 - July 21, 2007 December 31, 2006 - January 6, 2007

STAR-LEDGER From the print edition

• Rutgers' Schiano says he's staying focused on 2008 season 9:52 p.m. ET

• SNY the new TV home of Rutgers football 5:32 p.m. ET

• Rutgers gave Schiano secret escape clause 10:16 p.m. ET

MORE »PHOTOS • Scarlet-White Spring Game

• International Bowl Second Half

• International Bowl First Half

ALL PHOTOS »MULTIMEDIA

• Spring revelations for Scarlet Knights

• Rutgers' Ray Rice forgoes his senior season

• Rutgers vs Ball State Battle of the Bands

• Rutgers Bowl Preview

• The Rutgers football team visits the CN Tower

• Highlights of Rutgers' Ray Rice

MORE VIDEOS »RU REMEMBERING The archive blog

Remember the last two seasons with full coverage of every game - plus RU records & stats.

Highlights

• Rutgers record book

• 2006: RU vs Louisville

• 2006: RU @ WVU

• 2006: Texas Bowl vs. KSU

ARCHIVE BLOG »ADVERTISEMENT

• New Jersey’s Ultimate Baby Destination•  Search Foreclosures • Fishing Fever. Catch it at Efinger Sporting Goods.• First class business information programs from NRBPBloggers, fans react to Rutgers' hush-hush deals with football coach Greg Schiano

by Frank Della Femina/NJ.com

Wednesday July 23, 2008, 11:57 AM

The articles written by The Star-Ledger's Josh Margolin and Ted Sherman exposing Rutgers' secret financial deals with head coach Greg Schiano are making their way around the web and there are some interesting reactions to what the reporters uncovered.

Rutgers 100 has been an outspoken critic of the school's commitment to big time college sports. From its blog:

More newspapers are piling on the hidden payments and concealed clauses scandal and, as the coverage multiplies, so does the damage to Rutgers' reputation, for both academics and ethics.

Not only is football coach Greg Schiano paid in excess of $2 million -- on the basis of a lifetime losing record and in a time of draconian cutbacks in funding for education at Rutgers -- but the school administrators who approved these deals (Slick McCormick and Mulcahy III) were apparently so ashamed of what they had done that they hid the terms from the public, the university Board of Governors, and the state legislature.

George Washington University professor Margaret Soltan posted the headline 'Rutgers getting rancid' on her blog and the wrote:

Like Alabama and Michigan, Rutgers has fouled its nest with a greedy coach. And like Alabama and Michigan, the university's president seems to have the brain of a bird.

An editorial in The Daily Record asks:

Why does a college football coach deserve to be treated like the emperor of a small country?

The Star-Ledger's Drew Sheneman pokes fun at the situation in his cartoon.

The stories have generated hundreds of comments on NJ.com including this from OopsNJ

If Schiano is a public employee, are there rules about accepting gifts from vendors? this is clearly a scam. I am a Rutgers Football fan and season ticket holder, but this is clearly way out of line. This should no doubt be investigated by the the AG. after all we all complain that taxes are to high, and we do pay Schiano's salary.

RutgersPhil commented

Trenton needs to fire the current bunch of clowns running Rutgers, make clear that its primary job is educating students, not laundering money to football coaches, and then fund Rutgers properly.

A lot of Rutgers football fans both on NJ.com and on other sites say they think deals like this are the cost of having a big-time football program. Peter comments on the Rutgers sports blog Scarlet Knights Newzer:

I attribute much of this to growing pains for the program. As you say, this is common practice for many BCS coaches. It's new to us so it's a big deal for some...and makes great headlines regardless. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

NJ.commer Allamerica23 wrote:

Rutgers made a deal to keep a key employee based on their dedication to the program that began college football. This is no different than agreements made with key professors at Universities, or key individuals in corporate america.

If the University promides Coach stadium upgrades, good-for-him for keeping their feet to the fire to deliver......... imagine if politicians had to deliver on their promises?

Use the comments below to share links to other sites on the web where the Schiano story is being discussed.

Archived