• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Nice Q&A With CJL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

I think that's great, but that doesn't mean he should impose religion on his players.

where'd you get the idea this was being "imposed" on the players?

• Content Count:  5,691

SRQ re-read the last line of the article.

it is something that often happens in sports and in our country in general. those that are religious and or believe in god seem not to notice it as much as it is something they agree with. I have no issues with it as in our country the great thing is you have a choice to believe or not.  However, I don't think one of the things that needs to be taught to young people is the importance of a relationship with the lord.

Well, I guess coach and I would disagree with you.  But, I still don't see anything about CJL's beliefs being "imposed" on anyone. 

Geez, if its so clear to you that belief in Jesus is a farce, what is the harm in letting a player know how you feel about it?

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I think that's great, but that doesn't mean he should impose religion on his players.

we are in the minority on this one

Get over it

Well, I guess coach and I would disagree with you.  But, I still don't see anything about CJL's beliefs being "imposed" on anyone. 

Geez, if its so clear to you that belief in Jesus is a farce, what is the harm in letting a player know how you feel about it?

i don't feel i need to tell anyone whether they should believe or not. it's up to them no matter how strongly i believe if there is a god or not. just my opinion...

Get over it

maybe you should be the one to get over it.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Get over it

by responding, wouldn't that mean that YOU, in fact, are not "over it" either?

i personally have no problem with a coach leading prayers before games or providing religious guidance to players who seek it, but i don't necessarily see how personal relationships with "the Lord" should be a primary goal or responsibility of a coach.

we all come to terms with our God or god/s in our own way and on our own time, i don't see why a football coach should proactively be seeking to instill that in his players... and i certainly hope that's not what CJL was implying with that statement.

USF is still a public institution, and CJL an employee of the state... there's a little thing called the separations clause that needs to be respected.

i don't feel i need to tell anyone whether they should believe or not. it's up to them no matter how strongly i believe if there is a god or not. just my opinion...

I understand your position.  However, if one believes The Bible is the Word of God, and that Jesus is God, and that He said that belief in Him is the only way to God, and that we will all live on in eternity and there are only two locations; one with God and one separate from God, and that the one separate from God is hell, well then, that person tells people he cares about the Truth as he understands it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

I understand your position.  However, if one believes The Bible is the Word of God, and that Jesus is God, and that He said that belief in Him is the only way to God, and that we will all live on in eternity and there are only two locations; one with God and one separate from God, and that the one separate from God is hell, well then, that person tells people he cares about the Truth as he understands it.

I don't think he said all of that-- he simply mentioned the Lord. I'm not religious (not a fan of organized religion itself) but I can tolerate and even be encouraged by others believing in something positive. The Lord, imo, can mean anyones version of god.

Anyway-- I doubt we care if a player is part of the fold when we are recruiting them and I seriously doubt we try to push beliefs onto them once they join the team. That seems pretty far fetched-- no matter how you evaluate that single quote.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

last year was the year to make noise with so many returning players

it will be tough for this group to duplicate what last year's group did

first-- I thought we made quite a bit of noise last season, although we could have made more of course with a few more wins.

but every year, we lose a few great players while current players get better and new players make a splash. Overall-- we kept many more impact players on the team than we lost. IF we can reload, this could be a pretty big year for USF-- we may even exceed last years results.

Archived