• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Morse Advances at Olympic Trials

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Goood luck to him!

Morse Advances at Olympic Trials 

Courtesy: USF

Release: 06/28/2008

Long Jump Event Results

EUGENE, Ore. - - University of South Florida sophomore long jumper Mikese Morse traveled roughly 3100 miles to compete in this weekend’s USA Olympic Trials in Eugene, Ore., but after Friday night’s performance, the long trek was well worth it.

Morse, participating among the very best in the entire nation, propelled his way through the qualifying stage by placing in the top 12 and moves one step closer to being a member of the United States Olympic track and field team.

“I was just trying to go out there and have fun,†said Morse. “It was the biggest sports competition that I have been in during my entire life and I was really excited to go out there and compete.â€Â

After fouling on his first attempt, Morse came back strong with a leap of 7.79m (25’6.75â€Â), which ended up being the jump that moved him into the finals.

“I thought the big stage gave me a little extra adrenaline boost that I felt helped me jumped today,†Morse added. “Even on the ones I fouled on, I felt great during them.â€Â

“He jumped well, especially on a stage as big as this,†said USF head track and field coach Warren Bye.

Of the 12 that qualified, Morse was just one of three that are current collegiate student-athletes. O’Darien Bassett of Troy and Reindell Cole of Cal St. Northridge also are moving on.

This accomplishment adds to a year that will go down in school history as one of the best ever. Morse became the all-time school record holder in the long jump at 7.90m (25'11"), while also garnering a BIG EAST Championship, and then earned an All-American status at the NCAA Outdoor Championships a few weeks later.

Despite all the previous accomplishments this spring season, Morse pointed out that so far, this is the peak.

“This is without a doubt the biggest moment in my career,†said Morse. “I am in the final event with a chance to make the Olympic Team, so it is definitely at the top of my achievements in my sports career.â€Â

On Sunday at 6:15 p.m. eastern standard time, Morse will take part in the finals for the opportunity to represent USA in the 2008 Beijing Olympics this upcoming August.

For more information, log on to http://www.usatf.org/

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=1504347

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Do we have any other Olympians? Is Anthony Wallace playing on the US Soccer team?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Do we have any other Olympians? Is Anthony Wallace playing on the US Soccer team?

Anthony might be picked. It hasn't been decided yet.

Soccer, On the men's side, the United States will be represented by its under-23 national team. Coach Peter Nowak will name the 18-player roster in July. Two players with Tampa Bay area connections are in the mix, former Lakewood and USF player Anthony Wallace and Tampa native Blake Wagner, who are with Dallas of MLS.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/olympics/article612123.ece

Archived