• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Men's bbal: how do you feel about the new roster?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

maybe Stan can teach them how to shoot free throws.  We were horrible last year.  Would like to see our stats compared with teh beast on Free Throws cause I think we must have been at the bottom.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Regarding the PG, did you know that Mercer was a 4-star PG coming out of HS and was one of the best freshmen PGs in the SEC?

I think we'll be all right for now (using the last scholarship). We need to hold off until we get someone really good.

C'mon, Mr. Waiver! WE NEED 'Ya! --with Gus playing, we'll have a nice year.

Mercer was a 5 star top 25 player and rated 5th best PG in the 2005 class.He was Georgia's best player in his sophmore season until the ACL injury stop him.That team would have won the SEC East if they didn't suffer a couple of key injuries.Thank goodness for that because we would be watching Mercer in the NBA right now instead of anticipating his debut with USF this fall.

It amazes me how this guy gets overlooked by these so called experts and some fans.All we see is what all these Big East teams has coming in and how highly rated they are.Well we that's right we at USF have the best newcomer in the Big East in Mike Mercer.There are a lot of 4 and 5 star rated players coming into the league and some will make it to the NBA, but they are unproven and and untested.There is no guarantee these players will be everything they are projected to be in college by some so-called expert.Well Mercer was projected to be a first round NBA draft selection, he is the most accomplished and the most proven of any new player.That is not me over hyping him but those are the facts as he has shown what he can do on the high D-1 level.

Now Mercer hasn't played in a while and coming in this December will be tough on him, but once he gets going and he will, we are going to see a guy that will be among our team leaders in points, steals, assists, getting to the line, and offensive rebounding.He can be our version of Ronnie or Corey Brewer.All I ask is that Mercer at least be what he was and we will have some kind of trio in he, Jones, and Verdejo.Now sitting out may have made Mercer better as he could use some improvement in his long range shooting, all I ask is he be what he was, if he is better the Big East is in big trouble.

BTW that is not a prediction on our record but an indication of what we could be getting if Mercer is the same explosive player he was and I haven't heard or seen anything that suggest he has lost any athleticism.That is his only question mark, because it sure isn't his skill set.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

With the addition of Akol and Gilchrist our big man play should be better than last year.

By "big man play" I assume you mean center AND forwards, which will hopefully be better, as a whole, than last year ....

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think we are a lock for anything this year... i have no idea what to expect.

But I at least like what I see on paper.

Agreed.  The McMillan loss hurts because Heath is still void of a pressing style of PG that is more conducive for his style offense.  Some people see names but ignore that very relevant fact. 

I like the upgrades brought in from Gilchrist, and Mercer...although we've added excellent four star transfers before in Gransberry, and Verdejo and it didn't translate into much.  The other players are nice pieces but I'll need to see them play and integrate over the following season before getting to excited.

But adding Gilchrist and Mercer alone is a very nice step, but if both are gone after next year then what do we really have?  But this class is a nice building block, but let's see where it takes us.  Dumars seems nice but he's not even ranked.  I keep saying that a few three stars here and there doesn't get you very far in the BE, you need a Gilchrist type sprinkled in over every year or so to bring the necessary fire power.

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

With the addition of Akol and Gilchrist our big man play should be better than last year.

By "big man play" I assume you mean center AND forwards, which will hopefully be better, as a whole, than last year ....

Well we didn't have a single PF last season which was just stunning.We now have 4 in Akol, Gilchrist, Teague, and Espinosa.Eventually Akol and Espinosa will see some time at SF as well.Rivas-Sanchez and Ajayi will hold down the Center positions as they are strickly rebounders and defenders.I also can see that Teague redshirts if Gilchrist is granted his full eligibility.

• Content Count:  30

Mike Mercer is the balls.

Serious athlete and great defender.

• Content Count:  387

Triple B and Vega, I should have said "Front court" instead of big man but you got the point.

Speaking of point, I think we'll be fine there too. Assists will go up when the front court guys start making buckets.

As much as I like Kentrell, he sure missed some easy ones last year.

• Content Count:  4,016

Triple B and Vega, I should have said "Front court" instead of big man but you got the point.

Speaking of point, I think we'll be fine there too. Assists will go up when the front court guys start making buckets.

Kentrell missed easy ones?  Well yeah when he has no help from the PF position, and has 2-3 guys draped over him it's easy to miss what some would perceive as easy.

It will definitely be a work-in-progress the first part of the year as all these new faces, and bodies try to mesh.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Kentrell missed easy ones?  Well yeah when he has no help from the PF position, and has 2-3 guys draped over him it's easy to miss what some would perceive as easy.

It will definitely be a work-in-progress the first part of the year as all these new faces, and bodies try to mesh.

[/quote

yea he missed the easy ones, he wasnt as good as all you think he is

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

He was first team all big east... he was pretty **** good.  Geez.  If the big east conference thinks he's one of the best players in one of the best conference... i think that holds more weight.

Archived