• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's bbal: how do you feel about the new roster?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

Former Bulls

1 Kentrell Gransberry C 6-9 270

22 Solomon Bozeman G 6-0 165

15 Orane Chin F 6-7 195

10 Dante Curry PG 6-4 175

34 Mohamed Esseghir F 6-10 225 (walk-on) 

20 Aaron Holmes G 6-5 185

20 Eddie Lovett G 6-0 180 (walk-on)

21 Adamu Saaka G 6-6 195

New Bulls

Belardo, Gabriel G 6-2 180

Mercer, Mike G 6-4 190 Jr.

Akol, Teeng  F 6-11  225 

Gilchrist, Gus F/C 6-10 235

Rivas Sanchez, Alex C 6-10 230 Jr.

Teague, Eugene C/F 6-8 290

Espinosa, Eladio F 6-7 220

Emory, Mitch F  6-7 (walk-on)

Daniels, B.J. G  6-1 200 (football scholarship)

Q: Where did we improve and where did we lose out?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

Time will tell but based on early commentary the only place we will feel a dent is down low without Big Kentrell.  If commentary holds true, it won't be noticeable.  I'm pretty excited about this class...followed Bulls Basketball for years and never felt better actually.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Just look at the height of the front court players; 6-7, 6-7, 6-8, 6-10, 6-10, 6-11

• Content Count:  1,797

We will be better in the long run even though we will start out pretty thin on playing experience.  We still need a jet quick PG.  That should be a priority for Coach Heath in the early signing period.  I would also like to see a 6'7" or so athletic wing that can really score.  Espinosa doesn't sound like much of a scorer and Dumars sounds more like a stand and shoot kind of player.  But overall I am pleased with what Stan has done.  I feel like Gilchrist, Akol, DoJo and perhaps Mercer (I have not really seen him play) are BE quality players.  I am very pleased that Heath went after some shooters.  We have been killed by outside shooting over the past 10 years.  Maybe we can start to match teams on the perimeter in the future.

Things are definitely looking up (see Apis' post above ;D).

Normal

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

M Basketball - 2008-09 Roster & Bios  Season 2008-09    

Howard, Chris  G  6-3  200  Jr.  Lorton, Va. (Friendly HS, Md.)  

Jones, Dominique  G  6-4  205  So.  Lake Wales, Fla. (Lake Wales HS)  

Verdejo, Jesus  G  6-4  205  Sr.  Carolina, Puerto Rico (Arizona) (The Winchendon School, Mass.)  

Williams, Aris  F  6-9  235  Sr.  Columbia, Md. (Valparaiso) (Georgetown Prep)  

Ajayi, Mobolaji  F  6-9  225  Sr.  Kano, Nigeria (Palm Beach CC, Fla.) (Standard Comprehensive)  

Akol, Teeng  F  6-11  225  Fr.  Wian, Sudan (IMG Academy, Fla.))  

Belardo, Gabriel  G  6-2  180  Fr.  San Juan, Puerto Rico (Notre Dame Prep, Mass.)  

Daniels, B.J.  G  6-1  200  Fr.  Tallahassee, Fla. (Lincoln)  

Espinosa, Eladio  F  6-7  220  Fr.  Norlina, N.C. (Hargrave Military Academy, Va.)  

Gilchrist, Gus  F/C  6-10  235  Fr.  Clinton, Md. (Maryland) (Progressive Christian Academy)  

Mercer, Mike  G  6-4  190  Jr.  Snellville, Ga. (Georgia) (South Gwinnett)  

Rivas Sanchez, Alejandro  C  6-10  230  Jr.  Santiago, Dominican Republic (Pratt CC, Kan.) (Laurinburg Prep, N.C.)  

Teague, Jr., Eugene  C/F  6-8  290  Fr.  Vineland, N.J. (Living Faith Christian Academy)

http://www.gousfbulls.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&KEY=&SPID=2923&SPSID=36689

Much more size and depth, even without Gilchrist getting a waiver to play in 2008.

We should do much better just based on that alone.

In 2008, With Gilchrist, I think we are a lock for the NIT. Without him, we still have a better than 50% chance of getting there.

In 2009, we should be battling to the end as a bubble team in the big dance, but probably won't get an invite.

In 2010, USF should probably have a better than 50% chance of making it to the NCAA tourney.

In 2011, USF should be getting votes in the preseason Top 25.

In 2012, USF Should be in the Top 25 preseason

In 2013. USF contends for Big East title.

In 2014. USF Wins Big East title.

In 2015, USF make it to sweet 16

In 2016 USF makes it to final 8

In 2017 USF makes it to final 4

Im 2018 Heath leaves and USF doesn't make the NIT, and we are back where we are now.

I'm not sure what happens after that as just then I woke up.  ;D

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I don't think we are a lock for anything this year... i have no idea what to expect.

But I at least like what I see on paper.

• Content Count:  919

I would have liked to see what McMillan could do at PG.  I am not sold on Belardo because of that awful You Tube video. 

I do like the size that Heath added.  That was much needed, and a big improvement.

• Content Count:  387

I was impressed with Ajayi's play toward the end of last season. He may very well be the next Sol Jones. With the addition of Akol and Gilchrist our big man play should be better than last year. Our guards were very solid and will be much improved this year.

Next season should prove to be a very big step in the right direction. I'm even more impressed with the 2009 commits.

We're looking good!

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

The talent level has obviously been upgraded from McCullum's days. Heath's recruiting has been purposeful and brought height into the program. All these kids are power conference players, something you couldn't say during the previous regime.

I'm with Normal, in that we need that pain in the @$$ lightning bug point guard and a couple of swing players to complete the roster.

The class of 2009 is shaping up nicely as we added a couple dead-on shooters. you can really start to see what CSH is building. It is just not a scattered scramble for bodies to fill the roster.

The future is  looking bright.....

Guest BasketBull.

Regarding the PG, did you know that Mercer was a 4-star PG coming out of HS and was one of the best freshmen PGs in the SEC?

I think we'll be all right for now (using the last scholarship). We need to hold off until we get someone really good.

C'mon, Mr. Waiver! WE NEED 'Ya! --with Gus playing, we'll have a nice year.

Archived