• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Unexpected Contributors for 08?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Responding to the RB thread got me thinking about a couple of players that I think will be difference makers this year that may be slightly overlooked in the grand scheme of things. Does anyone else have ideas about who they think will contribute more this year than others may expect? We're all expecting big things out of Selvie, McKenzie, Grothe, etc., but who do you see either filling a gap, or stepping up big time?

For me...

Cedric Hill - I think this guy is the best TE in the BEAST. Great hands, great focus, seems to run good routes. I saw a lot of faith in him from Grothe last season, and I think Matt continues to get him the ball. I am not quite as sold on TJ being the phenom WR that a lot of people seem to be, he is good, but I don't know if he will be our best receiver this year (stats or perception). Hester is solid, and Mitchell is a burner, however, I think that Hill will get a lot of looks this year as a possession guy, and could be in the top 3 in receptions. My only fear is that he kind of reminds me of Randy McMichael in that he fights so hard for every yard that he will be prone to getting stripped. I think this will be a big year for Ced though.

Chris Robinson - This one isn't so much of a stretch, but after 2006, I had higher hopes for Chris than I did for Selvie. This guy was all over the place his freshman season, and I am hoping that he comes back strong, earns a spot in the LB corps, and returns to dominant form. I think he has extremely good instincts on the field, and that is why he was such a presence his first year even though he was slightly undersized for a DE. I think he is the guy that will really open things up on the defense though if he is rushing from the opposite side as Selvie. Mix in Bedford at end on that side as well, and the OL for opposing teams is going to be nervous for the entire week leading up to the game. Who do you focus on? Even showing blitz and backing out of it will make a difference as the QB and OL are going to have to respect his ability to wreak havoc.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Good selections.

However, my choice for breakout player is J Buie on the other end from Selvie. He knows that there will be guys like Robinson and Bedford breathing down his neck and he's not going to let them beat him out. I saw in the Spring game that he's really focused and hungry this year.

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

I'd like to see some of those big banks in Tampa and St. Pete contribute more.  We would have most of our facilities built if they contributed more in 08.

Normal

• Content Count:  1,777

Orlando Bull I would have to disagree with you. I would like to Cedic Hill to be more involved with the offense and I think if he puts up the right number he could be considered for the NFL because he does have the right size. But Taurus  Johnson has good hands and speed and I would like to see him have a breakout year. If you watch  some of the footage of Taurus when he can get the ball and make moves he is pretty tough to stop.

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

SAMPSON GENUS!!!!!  This kid had an awesome spring game and we all know how former centers have done on our D-Line.

Alonso McQueen!!!!  No one talks about him, while he's the frontrunner for the starting LB spot while Kion may actually be held out for a while.  This one is more of a reach but it's definitely possible.

Last one....  if he doesnt redshirt.....  George Baker.  The kid is a legit 4.3-40 and can wreak havoc in the return game.  I hope this kid sees the field in '08

Guest BasketBull.

On offense, I think Hill, T.J., and Bogan will step up; Bogan has great hands. And hopefully Erskin will make a strong comeback.

I also expect Jessie Hester to have a big year --that catch at Auburn gave him a lot of confidence.

• Content Count:  919

I agree with Mama on Jarriet Buie.  With all the attention on Selvie, and RB's probably helping blocking out on Selvie's side, I see big numbers for Buie.

I think Jerome Murphy is a stud.  I think he makes a name for himself nationally this year.

I agree with Robinson too.  Looking forward to him being healthy.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I agree with Jake_Ryan on Murphy.  Two years a go the coaches were talking about him the same way they were talking about Nate Allen going into last year.  Lots of upside with Murphy.

I expect big things from Carlton Williams this year.  He has been a 4 year starter. 

On offense I am expecting a good year from pretty much everyone on the OL.  Especially Schmidt. 

I hope Cedric Hill comes along.  He worries me.  He has dropped so many key passes over the past few years.  If he catches it he is almost unstoppable.  He's ge's great once he catches the ball, but his hands have been suspect.  The encouraging sign is that he was better the second half of last year.

• Content Count:  4,016

man, some great posts, everyone!

Although I think people should really remember to emphasize "UNEXPECTED" when considering the contribution part.

For example, I love Orlando's write-up on Ced Hill, but Cedric Hill is a two year returning starter with almost 50 catches and around 800 yards receiving at TE.  There is nothing unexpected about him since he's the BE's top returning TE in catches and yards.  Many publications have him in the all-conference pre-seasont teams, some even as first team.  I expect him to exceed his 28 catch 350+ yard catch average last season.

Another great one is Buie, mama bull is spot on about Buie, but he's another two year starter.  Remember he's the guy that got to Pat White and was dragging him down when he threw that ill-advised pass to Ben Moffitt.  Jarriette's battled consistency issues, and intensity issues but he's always been a solid contributor.

There are so few open spots for players to make a name, but I am with Orlando that I think Chris Robinson is going to rise from the depths and become a havoc wrecker next season.  The spring game showed his potential once again, he had an INT, TWO PBD (could have had a 2nd INT there and both were pure instinctive plays on his part), 2 TFL, 1 sack, and 8 tackles....yeah Robinson can play he just needs to dedicate himself and he really could be put into that Selvie mold as an all-american potential player at OLB.

I've also got a toss up between Murphy and McClain.  The interior must get better play then it had in spurts last year.  We cant be gauged for big yards up the middle, and McClain is a nimble big man with good hands.  Murphy has been waiting and showing promise for three years.  Now is his time.  Both are going to get their shots and up to this point have been mainly waiting as contributors.

• Content Count:  1,757

I agree on Buie and Genus.  They both look like monsters, and with all the attention (double and triple teams) that Selvie will demand, these two have to step up and take advantage.  We could be looking at a monster D-line if everyone stays healthy.  

As for the secondary, Murphy has the talent to step up and be one of the best DBs in the Big East.  However, he needs to step it up and be a leader this year.  He got in trouble last year before the RU game, and arguably his lack of focus got him burnt on a couple of plays in that game.  The position is his, but he needs to show the maturity.

Archived