• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Faith in Whittaker pays off for Blaze

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Nice to see Huey doing well. If Amarri sticks with it, he'll also have a career in pro football somewhere.

Faith in Whittaker pays off for Blaze

By Loren Jorgensen

Deseret News

Published: Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:02 a.m. MDT

Utah Blaze coach Danny White liked what he had seen late last season from practice-team wide receiver Huey Whittaker. Entering the 2008 campaign, White thought the lanky, 6-foot-5 player out of South Florida could help the Blaze replace star Siaha Burley, who had signed a free agent deal with the Arizona Rattlers.

Turns out, White was right  even if Whittaker had few credentials to show from his first two years in the AFL.

On Wednesday Whittaker was named a member of the 17-man All-Arena first team, the only player on the 2008 Blaze to earn such a distinction. Blaze quarterback Joe Germaine was named to the second team.

Utah opened the season 0-9, but turned the season around during the final two months. The Blaze won six of their final seven games to earn not only a playoff spot, but a home game on Saturday against the Colorado Crush.

Whittaker was one of three Blaze receivers to finish in the top 10 in the league in yardage this season. He had 126 catches for 1,541 yards and 32 touchdowns. Two other Blaze pass catchers  J.J. McKelvey (1,529 yards) and Aaron Boone (1,527 yards) also had big seasons.

"This is a team game in every sense of the word, especially here," said Whittaker. "We all just tried to get open as best as we could for Joe and he got it to us and we've all made it happen Whittaker's big year was surprising to many in the league. After all, he had a grand total of six catches in 2006 and 2007 while spending the most of his time on the practice squads for the Tampa Bay Storm and Blaze. Neither McKelvey nor Boone had breakout years in '07, either. But the trio became the first teammates in any pro football league to all gain more than 1,500 yards with 100-plus catches each during the same season.

"We are so lucky to have those guys," said Germaine of his receivers. "They really have done a nice job of just making plays out there and they all play for one another. They are all right at 15-hundred yards and it's pretty incredible."

McKelvey and Germaine weren't the only Blaze players to be honored by the AFL this week. Defensive lineman Maurice Fountain was named to the league's All-Rookie team.

"Huey Whittaker called me to congratulate me and I didn't know what he was congratulating me for," said Fountain. "He said he saw on the Web that I'd made the All-Rookie team. I feel really good about it."

Fountain, who played his college ball at Clemson, finished the regular season with 13.5 total tackles, one forced fumble and one pass breakup in just nine games. He finished second on the team with four sacks. Fountain, who had been on the practice squad, didn't make his debut with the team until nearly halfway through the year. But an injury to E.J. Burt gave him the opportunity to play and he made the most of it.

"Everybody around here is referring to E.J. as Wally Pipp," joked White, referring to the guy who sat out the day Yankee great Lou Gehrig started his long consecutive games played streak. "Maurice has come in and done a great job. He's all energy. He just goes and goes and goes. And on the defensive line when you play with that kind of a mentality, sometimes things just fall in you lap  just because you are hustling."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700238027,00.html

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

The dolphins need to bring all 3 receivers and the QB in for a tryout. Those seem like ridiculous stats. I don't really follow the AFL, so maybe that is normal, but the QB threw for +/- 4600 yards to just three receivers and Huey had 32 TDs?

The fins need some help, and Orande Gadsden worked out pretty well from the AFL. Maybe they could work out a trade...Derek Hagan and a second round draft pick for Huey. It would still go down as a better move than when they brought in "the next Dan Marino" AJ Feely.

Good to hear that Huey is doing well, and great find Mama (as usual).

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,973
  • Days Won:  469

Great find Mama, I was just thinking about Huey yesterday - I've been remiss in tracking him - I had no idea what he was doing.  So this obviously comes as great news to me.

• Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

Nice

Anyone know whats going on with DeAndrew Rubin?

Nice

He's playing for the Orlando Predators.

Nevertheless Jay Gruden has retooled his team and has them prepared for the game. He went out and signed Kevin Nickerson and DeAndrew Rubin to lineup next to T.T. Toliver at wide receiver and signed a veteran kicker in Todd France. The addition of Nickerson and Rubin to Toliver provides the Predators offense with plenty speed on offense as each player averages over 12 yards a reception.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3653948

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,973
  • Days Won:  469

Nice

He was playing for the New Orleans Voo Doo Arena Football Team.  Was able to talk to him when he came out here and played the Rattlers.  He hooked up with the Sheriff for a dinner the eve of the game.  He's not listed on their roster now however.  Maybe a free agent?

Nice

He was playing for the New Orleans Voo Doo Arena Football Team.  Was able to talk to him when he came out here and played the Rattlers.  He hooked up with the Sheriff for a dinner the eve of the game.  He's not listed on their roster now however.  Maybe a free agent?

He played against Tampa recently in the War on I-4.

On the Predators' opening possession of the second half, Rachal forced a turnover by stripping the ball away from DeAndrew Rubin. Tampa Bay's offense converted on the ensuing play, with Dietz hitting Edwards on a 22-yard scoring strike.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jun/08/sp-tampa-bay-stays-alive-in-playoff-hunt/

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

Whittaker > all USF receivers

I'm still looking for a Whittaker jersey if anyone knows where i can get one!

Archived