• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Riding it Out with DE Julius Forte

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Article about DE Julius Forte who has been offered by USF and attended the SuperBull camp. He wants to wait until very late to verbal.

I hate to break it to him, but if he expects to end up at USF he better verbal pretty soon, or we'll get someone else for his slot. He shouldn't hold his breath for an Ohio St offer as they already have 24 verbals.

With so many more players giving early verbals, waiting until signing day is really no longer the best option. It's not like it was before, except for a very few top  prospects, such as DE Ryne Giddens who we also offered. Giddens can afford to wait until signing day, if he wants, and he'll still have his choice of top schools. I can't say that about Forte. Sometimes you ride it out and run out of gas.

Riding it Out 

By Allen Wallace

National Recruiting Editor

Posted Jun 25, 2008 

"I really want to take my trips," Julius Forte said. "That's the best part about recruiting. I think I'll take one or two trips during the season. I think we have a bye week or two. Then I'll visit the others after the season is over…probably in December. I'm open right now and I plan on riding this thing out until signing day. I want to see how many offers I get and just enjoy the whole..."   

Julius Forte, the 6-foot-2, 235-pound three-star defensive end from Boca Ciega High School in Gulfport, Fla., has about a dozen offers and continues to deny any favorites.

"I love all 12 of them," Forte says with a laugh. "I don't have any favorites. I'm really looking into anybody that talks to me. Right now the only two schools I've actually seen are USF and Florida International, so I can't really compare anyone and say I have a favorite."

The schools that have offered Forte are South Florida, Florida International, North Carolina State (first to offer), North Carolina, Indiana, Iowa, Troy, Cincinnati, Tulane, Kentucky, Purdue and Hofstra.

"North Carolina State offered me during my sophomore year," Forte said. "They've been after me for a long time and I like the coaches. They seem like a good program and a team that is on the rise. I could probably play early there."

Forte, ranked as the No. 54 defensive end in the country by Scout.com, attended a camp at Florida International on June 7 and USF on June 21.

"USF is only about 30 minutes away," he said. "But distance isn't an issue. I'll go anywhere.

"The camp (at USF) was very unique," Forte said. "It was at night and in the stadium. They share a stadium with the Tampa Bay Bucs and it was a great environment. They have the JumboTron going and all the lights were on. It was a lot of fun being on a pro field. It was probably the most different camp I've ever been to."

Forte doesn't have any other camps planned for the summer, but says he'd like to take a few unofficial visits. "I'd like to visit some schools if I can," he said. "It's hard getting to these schools though because most of them are out of state."

Even if Forte doesn't get to visit any other programs this summer he says that's okay because he plans on taking all five official visits. "I really want to take my trips," he said. "That's the best part about recruiting. I think I'll take one or two trips during the season. I think we have a bye week or two. Then I'll visit the others after the season is over…probably in December.

"I'm open right now and I plan on riding this thing out until signing day," he said. "I want to see how many offers I get and just enjoy the whole process."

Forte says the most important elements in his decision will be the coaches and the academics. "I want to play for coaches with a good background," he said. "I want coaches with a history of winning and where I feel a good vibe with them and the players.

"I also want a coach that has passion for the game, but is also a fun loving person," he said.

One school which Forte says he plans to learn a lot more about is Iowa. "I know a guy from this area (running back Jeff Brinson from Northeast High School in St. Petersburgh, Fla.) who just signed with them," he said. "I plan on talking with him and seeing what he thinks of Iowa."

Forte is also friends with another prospect who left the south for the midwest. "I'm really good friends with Orhian Johnson (defensive back from Gulfport). He just signed with Ohio State this year.

"We talk all the time and he told me to take my time and to do a lot of research on all the schools," Forte said. "He'd like me to go to Ohio State like he did, but he says to make sure that it's a good fit for me."

The Buckeyes haven't offered Forte yet, but he says they seem very interested. "I'm getting a lot of mail from them," he said. "I've talked with (cornerbacks) coach Taver Johnson and he's a good guy. I got to know him real well last year when he was recruiting Orhian, so we have a good relationship.

"He says they talk about me a lot and that they plan on offering me," Forte said. "I just don't know when."Another school that Forte says he's interested in learning more about is Clemson. The Tigers also haven't offered yet. "I'm really curious about Clemson," he said. "They always put out great defensive ends and I like that a lot. I just want to see how they do next season."

Growing up, Forte says he never followed any college programs.

Forte finished his junior season with 50 tackles, 11 sacks, four fumbles caused, three fumbles recovered and one blocked field goal for a touchdown. His team went 8-3 for the year.

He says he can bench 315-pounds, squat 415 and has a 35-inch vertical jump.

"I have good speed and agility," Forte said. "Also I'm really aggressive. I'm also a good finesse player and am very humble. I want to become a better athlete overall. You can never be too good and one thing I'm really working on is getting stronger."

Forte wants to major in physical training and reports a 3.5 core GPA and an 18 ACT.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/764970.html

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I'm also a good finesse player and am very humble.

I'm not quite so sure I believe that

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm also a good finesse player and am very humble.

I'm not quite so sure I believe that

I'm quite sure that I don't believe that.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

When a player has to tell people he is "humble," it's a dead giveaway, that he's really not.  ;D

Frankly, I don't care if he's humble or not, I just want him NOT to jerk us around like his good buddy Orhian did, who put on a USF hat on signing day only to take it off and put one on for Ohio State. I really hope we can land Giddens and not have to deal with Forte for the next eight months.

• Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  0

We have Thompson, have a good shot at Sager and a possibility of Giddins.  Don't much care what he does I guess.  If he wants to take his visits, I believe that's what he should do.  All of his current options may not be there for him in the end, but that's the chance he will have to take.

• Content Count:  21,234
  • Days Won:  10

Humble not.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Ohrian picked the hat up.  It was immature we'll all live.  Some kids will inevitably wait too long and lose their offers, but they know that.

A different perspective on some of these bigger recruits that do not commit early and wait.  How much exposure did USF get with media, parents and recruits when Ohrian Johnson sits there wth an Ohio State hat and a USF hat on the same table, or when Corey Liuget sits there with an Illinois, LSU and USF hat?  Yeah they did not pick us last year, but there are other recruits at their schools that think "Hey, USF is right there with OSU, or LSU or Illinois.  USF is bigtime.  USF is an option."  We will lose some, lose them this year too.  But to me the exposure it is drawing is e benefit.

• Content Count:  4,016

When a player has to tell people he is "humble," it's a dead giveaway, that he's really not.  ;D

Frankly, I don't care if he's humble or not, I just want him NOT to jerk us around like his good buddy Orhian did, who put on a USF hat on signing day only to take it off and put one on for Ohio State. I really hope we can land Giddens and not have to deal with Forte for the next eight months.

Yeah but even with Giddens I still believe the staff takes another DE.  But if you land Thompson and Giddens then you don't mind riding it out, but USF might land Sager and Giddens...then Forte will be heading out of state.  Besides he's fom Boca Ciega...dude has to prove he'll get eligible before taking that risk.

• Content Count:  1,911

Forte is a guy who thrives off of competition. I've been told if he went to Armwood he'd be a top notch national recruit. I think he's a kid worth spending some time on.

• Content Count:  4,016

Forte is a guy who thrives off of competition. I've been told if he went to Armwood he'd be a top notch national recruit. I think he's a kid worth spending some time on.

Agreed!  Internet fans are sometimes not fair to kids who rightly want to, and deserve to, bask in a bit of the limelight and glory of the recruiting process.  I mean they did earn that right, and it's only fair they take the opportunity, particularly if they're not completely sure on the where's and who's of the schools recruiting them, to take trips and enjoy the process.  After all it only happens once.  Most of these kids have never experienced anything like this, and probably never will again.  Why are they always belittled if they don't bow down to a coach and accept immediately?

It's all good, Forte is a good one, and schools are smart enough to wait on his decision.

Archived