• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zack Hansen 6'8-330lbs.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

330 seems a bit light for a 6'8 OT

That guy that never played for us, Martin Towe Truck, wasn't he 6'8 and 365 or so?

We have guys that are over 300 that are much closer to 6 feet.

I like the height, but he actually sounds kinda slim for his height and position.

We need depth but i'm not sure this would do much other than add height to the practice squad.  Is this guy any good?  I haven't read that much positive yet, other than height.

We need guys who are big, athletic and can move.  Also, more and more OTs are "slimmer" in the mold of a Tony Boselli. 

2007 NFL AllPro O-Linemen

Walter Jones(T)   6'5" 325

Matt Light(T),    6'4" 305

Alan Faneca(G), 6'5" 307

Steve Hutchinson(G),    6'5" 313

Jeff Saturday©,   6'2" 295

Thanks... you make a compelling case, and i'm almost sold.. except i just have bad memories of monster arkansas players bullying our linemen.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Velcro, and I have nightmares of Oregon's Samoans bullying our linemen.  The reality is that the linemen we used to recruit tended to be shorter (ex. listed at 6'2" but actually 6') and less athletic.  I remember S.Miss having some huge lines which towered over our guys also.  However, 6'4"+ and 300-330 are huge guys and if they can move and employ good technique our lines will be ok.  Better than ok, they will be dominant.

Hanson is a JUCO and would be eligible to come in right away.  Even if he backed up for a year he might be ready next season when we have 4 starters on the OL to replace.

True, having 3 years (and a red shirt too?) would certainly make this a more valuable pickup if we get him.

Hopefully it works out better than our last two 6'8 monsters (towe / springfield)

and just to backup your point... Jared Carnes = 6'7... and slimmer, and he was a million fold more effective than our other talls.

• Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

330 is 330 you have to move it out of the way either way.  At 6'8" and fast he can pull, pass protection should be good.  

• Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

As with all QB's, they need Passing Lanes, height is over-rated many times.

especially if you dont have it

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I'm not sure where the 330 pound number is coming from:

Greg Auman May 30, 2008 reports Hanson 6'8 315

Josh Newberg June 25, 2008 reports Hanson 6'7 315

Older articles and recruiting profiles report him anywhere from 6'7-6'9 and between 295-305 pounds.

Anyway, Hanson (if he comes),  (Fr) Popek 6'7 310 and (Fr) Edwards 6'6 320 will all be battling each other for playing time, so there will be plenty of motivation for one of them to step it up and outshine the others. At least, we will have some young talent here at OT and that bodes well for the future. 

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

According to Greg, it's between USF and Kansas State. 

Are there other guys we are still trying to bring in this year?  I ask, because I think we have 3 spots open for the 2008 class, right?  J Green is out.  Engram to PRCC.  Sheilds will grayshirt and count towards 2009.

So why grayshirt Sheilds and take a spot away from 2009 class when we are already getting loaded up with committs?  Why not make him count towards 2008 when we have room available? 

Am I missing something? 

• Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

Man, he sure has grown up since the MMMBop days...

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

According to Greg, it's between USF and Kansas State. 

Are there other guys we are still trying to bring in this year?  I ask, because I think we have 3 spots open for the 2008 class, right?  J Green is out.  Engram to PRCC.  Sheilds will grayshirt and count towards 2009.

So why grayshirt Sheilds and take a spot away from 2009 class when we are already getting loaded up with committs?  Why not make him count towards 2008 when we have room available? 

Am I missing something? 

I think Shields could still be counted towards the 2008 class if we don't fill it up this year. Having him enroll in Jan gives us a chance to get another player this year. If we do, fine. If not, we can always count him towards 2008. At least, that's my understanding on how it works. I believe you can count up to two scholarships from the previous year for spring enrollees. Someone else may know better.

Archived