• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Discussion: Most/Least relevant sports cities

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

Thsi was in another discussion forum I'm in, and thought it would be worth talking up over here:

"What cities in the US do you think are relevant across the country? Which cities do you think are least? I think the criteria for both would be that the city would have at least one major league sports team (MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL etc.)."

And while I think they should have at least one pro team, I think that the discussion can and should absolutely include college teams. So what do you think?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,363

My thoughts (specifically on cities with which I have personal experience):

On the not-relevant front, I'd like to add Baltimore to the discussion. B-more's lost more teams than they currently have, and of those that remain, the Ravens are in disrepair, and let's not talk about the O's who, if Toronto steps it up, may actually get the basement of the AL East they've been campaigning so hard for for so long, only to have their efforts thwarted by the Rays. And there's not even fan support to lean back on, as Camden Yards becomes Fenway or Yankee Stadium South whenever one of those teams comes to town. How the presumptive capital of lacrosse can't hold onto an MLL team (the Bayhawks flew the coop to DC) is still beyond me, and despite the sheer volume of colleges and universities in the immediate area, the only one with a culture of winning at the DI level is Hopkins lacrosse.

Where to classify Philly still perplexes me. The lack of championships in the 4 major sports for the past 100 seasons combined would point towards the "not relevant" pile, but yet they are always somehow in the hunt and in the discussion. 3 of the 4 went to the playoffs this past year, while the other has been a mainstay not only in the postseason but in their conference championship game, making the Super Bowl just a few years ago. And the fan support is never lacking.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Boston has to lead the charge... 2 world series in the past 5 years, 3 superbowls in the past 7, an NBA championship, plus the success of BC.  Fan support throughout the entire region is rabid, regardless of the kind of year the team is having.  All they need is to dump the Jacobs Family and get real owners to turn the Bruins around.

Least relevant?  Hmm... that's a tough one.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Least Relevent - Houston?  nothing to brag about since the hakeem. 

Baltimore - very good suggestion from above

KC - Royals and Chiefs ... need i say more

• Content Count:  2,923

Most-Bean Town, second-NY City

Least- Oakland-Radiers are terrible, A's are good but will never win the AL, Warriors are ho-hum as in who cares, Philly and Seattle are tied for second.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,374
  • Days Won:  13

Boston has to lead the charge... 2 world series in the past 5 years, 3 superbowls in the past 7, an NBA championship, plus the success of BC.  Fan support throughout the entire region is rabid, regardless of the kind of year the team is having.  All they need is to dump the Jacobs Family and get real owners to turn the Bruins around.

Least relevant?  Hmm... that's a tough one.

least relevant.

Orlando. What have the Magic ever done? Not to mention that is the only major Sports team that city has. Honestly that team should be in Tampa.

Orlando cant even suport minor league baseball.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,374
  • Days Won:  13

Most-Bean Town, second-NY City

Least- Oakland-Radiers are terrible, A's are good but will never win the AL, Warriors are ho-hum as in who cares, Philly and Seattle are tied for second.

Philly are you kidding me? I hate that city, but they have the 76ers, Flyers, Phillies, and Eagles. All the teams are usually good, and the fans actually care there.

• Content Count:  3,078

Sadly, Nashville has to be up there for least relevant... The Titans are usually good, but the Predators are only average usually and they are about out of town.  The sum of Vanderbilt, Belmont, Lipscomb, etc that are in Nashville are not even discussion worthy almost

• Content Count:  5,241

i wouldnt consider places like orlando and nashvile sports cities. nashville needs more than a nfl team and a irrelevant nhl team to get considered. I will give it props for being just a cool city.

• Content Count:  3,307

Most relevant: Boston

Least relevant: Atlanta

Archived