• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCiF will not sniff Top 25 because of OCC schedule....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

June 23, 2008

Looking for this year's 'BCS buster'

YOU KNOW what we need in college football this fall?

By Doug Smock

Staff writer

Faster games? From a selfish deadline standpoint, I'm on board, but I'm not sure that many fans really want the clock to start after the ball is reset from out-of-bounds plays.

A playoff? Yes, but as I've stated before, we've lost that battle. The 12-game season and hyperexpansion of the bowls have assured us that we will never, ever live to see a legitimate playoff. Fight for a "plus-one" and be happy to get it.

A good "BCS buster" team? Ahhhhh, there we go. We always need one of those. Can't let the six "BCS automatic qualifier" conferences and Notre Dame have all the fun, right?

We thought we had something in Hawaii last season, but the Warriors were exposed as pretenders by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Expect them to fade back into the middle of the WAC pack after quarterback Colt Brennan left for the pros and coach June Jones bolted for Southern Methodist.

We need another team like Boise State in 2006. Or better yet, the 2004 Utah Utes.

As you may recall, that 12-0 campaign was Urban Meyer's last act before taking Florida by storm. The Utes pelted three unranked BCS teams and pillaged the Mountain West - they even routed Brigham Young in the "Holy War," where lopsided games are as rare as alcohol at the tailgates.

They became the first team to crash the BCS party, when access for the "non-BCS" leagues was nearly impossible. Unfortunately, they were rewarded with a Fiesta Bowl game against the worst Big East representative in the BCS era, Walt Harris' last Pitt team. I predicted in print that the Utes would pound Pitt by five touchdowns, but I was wrong - Pitt scored to lose 35-7.

It's a shame Utah couldn't get a better game. Those Utes were much better than the '06 Boise State Broncos, in my humble opinion.

Four years later, the Utes may be the best bet to harass the BCS cartel, under coach Kyle Whittingham. A slew of starters return, including efficient quarterback Brian Johnson.

I project this team to give Rich Rodriguez a fitting start at the "Big House" in Michigan, laying a big, fat "L" on the Wolverines. The Utes should also beat Oregon State at home in a Thursday nighter in early October, and they get TCU and BYU at home.

There are a few other teams with legitimate BCS-busting aspirations, but each have major questions.

Boise State - Is Ian Johnson still in college? Good grief, I think he not only played in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, he played in the 1994 I-AA playoffs against Marshall, as well.

The concern here is the Broncos are breaking in a new quarterback to replace Tyler Tharp, not to mention the tight end and four starters on the offensive line. But Johnson headlines a deep backfield and the wide receiving corps is even deeper, with Fiesta Bowl hero Vinny Perretta back from injury. (He threw the overtime touchdown pass against Oklahoma.)

The Broncos travel to Southern Mississippi, but get Hawaii and Fresno State at home. Big, big game: Sept. 20 at Oregon.

Central Florida, East Carolina - These teams won't even break the Top 25 because (a) they both lost their star running back to the NFL and (B) they play manly nonconference schedules.

Even without Kevin Smith, UCF could take another Conference USA title. The Knights will have a better pitch-and-catch game with receivers Kamar Aiken and Rocky Ross, and I really like the defense. The secondary of Johnell Neal, Joe Burnett, Sha'reff Rashad and Jason Venson will be the Knights' best since Asante Samuel and Atari Bigby patrolled the passing lanes in 2002.

Until someone proves otherwise, ECU is the only other team in the C-USA East who can prevent a UCF dynasty. Coach Skip Holtz did a fair job of juggling the Patrick Pinkney-Rob Kass duo last year, and he has both back. Look for the receiving corps to improve, if they can put the 2007 dropsies behind them. Most defenders return, including end Marcus Hands and free safety Van Eskridge.

Tulsa, Houston - At least one preseason magazine, Phil Steele, absolutely loves Tulsa. I would too, if Paul Smith were back at quarterback. If you're going to be a Cinderella story, you need a slick, smart, elusive passer and Smith really fit the mold.

But the Golden Hurricane has most of its line and all of its top runners and receivers back. If David Johnson (or whoever) can run the mad-scientist offense of coordinators Gus Malzahn and Herb Hand, Tulsa will score 40-plus a game again.

And with a porous defense, it might need to. That's why I might project Houston to win its second division title in three years, even with a coaching change. Case Keenum looks like the next Paul Smith at QB, and his offensive line is intact. Defensively, Phillip Hunt and Ell Ash lead a three-man front on a defense I expect to improve.

Both these teams have nonconference schedules built for success - interesting but not impossible. Houston has Oklahoma State, Air Force and Colorado State, while Tulsa has North Texas, New Mexico and Arkansas.

Mid-American Conference - Nobody. If you saw Tulsa emasculate Bowling Green in the GMAC Bowl last season, you know this league is down. Temple won four games in the league last year, if that tells you anything.

Florida Atlantic - Quit laughing. Howard Schnellenberger is still large and very much in charge. It has taken him seven years, but his magic has taken root in Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale or wherever they call home.

After the Owls stuck it to Memphis 44-27 in the New Orleans Bowl last December, Schnellenberger reportedly declared, "Advanced training is over ... when we go to Texas next season, we're going there to win the game."

I don't expect that to happen, but if it does, brace for an Appalachian State-style earthquake. This is a veteran team with a capable quarterback in Rusty Smith, and it will go on to annoy Michigan State and Minnesota. The Owls will paste Alabama-Birmingham at home.

nn

Marshall fans, particularly those in the online community, showed what they are made of this week.

After Johnathan Goddard's fatal motorcycle accident in Florida, some of those fans launched a bereavement fund to defray the $13,000 funeral tab for his family. The initial goal was to raise $5,000.

As Herd fan Mike Gwinn told me Sunday morning, the fund has raised almost $6,000 in online donations alone. The organizers now believe they can reach the $13,000, with any excess going to the Big Green Scholarship Foundation in Goddard's name.

And Marshall fans haven't been alone. "We've had Mountaineers, Wolverines, Golden Eagles, Knights, Gators, Crimson Tide, Seminoles and UGa Bulldawgs to donate so far," Gwinn said. "Michigan and Alabama fans have responded in a big way. It's really heartwarming."

Again, the PayPal donation address is goddardbereavementf...@suddenlink.net, and regular mailing address is The Johnathan Goddard Bereavement Fund c/o Chase Bank, 1000 Fifth Ave., Huntington, WV 25701.

This takes the phrase "coming through in the clutch" to an entirely new level. God bless all who contribute.

Reach Doug Smock at 348-5130 or dougsm...@wvgazette.com.

Faster games? From a selfish deadline standpoint, I'm on board, but I'm not sure that many fans really want the clock to start after the ball is reset from out-of-bounds plays.

A playoff? Yes, but as I've stated before, we've lost that battle. The 12-game season and hyperexpansion of the bowls have assured us that we will never, ever live to see a legitimate playoff. Fight for a "plus-one" and be happy to get it.

A good "BCS buster" team? Ahhhhh, there we go. We always need one of those. Can't let the six "BCS automatic qualifier" conferences and Notre Dame have all the fun, right?

We thought we had something in Hawaii last season, but the Warriors were exposed as pretenders by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Expect them to fade back into the middle of the WAC pack after quarterback Colt Brennan left for the pros and coach June Jones bolted for Southern Methodist.

We need another team like Boise State in 2006. Or better yet, the 2004 Utah Utes.

As you may recall, that 12-0 campaign was Urban Meyer's last act before taking Florida by storm. The Utes pelted three unranked BCS teams and pillaged the Mountain West - they even routed Brigham Young in the "Holy War," where lopsided games are as rare as alcohol at the tailgates.

They became the first team to crash the BCS party, when access for the "non-BCS" leagues was nearly impossible. Unfortunately, they were rewarded with a Fiesta Bowl game against the worst Big East representative in the BCS era, Walt Harris' last Pitt team. I predicted in print that the Utes would pound Pitt by five touchdowns, but I was wrong - Pitt scored to lose 35-7.

It's a shame Utah couldn't get a better game. Those Utes were much better than the '06 Boise State Broncos, in my humble opinion.

Four years later, the Utes may be the best bet to harass the BCS cartel, under coach Kyle Whittingham. A slew of starters return, including efficient quarterback Brian Johnson.

I project this team to give Rich Rodriguez a fitting start at the "Big House" in Michigan, laying a big, fat "L" on the Wolverines. The Utes should also beat Oregon State at home in a Thursday nighter in early October, and they get TCU and BYU at home.

There are a few other teams with legitimate BCS-busting aspirations, but each have major questions.

Boise State - Is Ian Johnson still in college? Good grief, I think he not only played in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, he played in the 1994 I-AA playoffs against Marshall, as well.

The concern here is the Broncos are breaking in a new quarterback to replace Tyler Tharp, not to mention the tight end and four starters on the offensive line. But Johnson headlines a deep backfield and the wide receiving corps is even deeper, with Fiesta Bowl hero Vinny Perretta back from injury. (He threw the overtime touchdown pass against Oklahoma.)

The Broncos travel to Southern Mississippi, but get Hawaii and Fresno State at home. Big, big game: Sept. 20 at Oregon.

Central Florida, East Carolina - These teams won't even break the Top 25 because (a) they both lost their star running back to the NFL and (B) they play manly nonconference schedules.

Even without Kevin Smith, UCF could take another Conference USA title. The Knights will have a better pitch-and-catch game with receivers Kamar Aiken and Rocky Ross, and I really like the defense. The secondary of Johnell Neal, Joe Burnett, Sha'reff Rashad and Jason Venson will be the Knights' best since Asante Samuel and Atari Bigby patrolled the passing lanes in 2002.

Until someone proves otherwise, ECU is the only other team in the C-USA East who can prevent a UCF dynasty. Coach Skip Holtz did a fair job of juggling the Patrick Pinkney-Rob Kass duo last year, and he has both back. Look for the receiving corps to improve, if they can put the 2007 dropsies behind them. Most defenders return, including end Marcus Hands and free safety Van Eskridge.

Tulsa, Houston - At least one preseason magazine, Phil Steele, absolutely loves Tulsa. I would too, if Paul Smith were back at quarterback. If you're going to be a Cinderella story, you need a slick, smart, elusive passer and Smith really fit the mold.

But the Golden Hurricane has most of its line and all of its top runners and receivers back. If David Johnson (or whoever) can run the mad-scientist offense of coordinators Gus Malzahn and Herb Hand, Tulsa will score 40-plus a game again.

And with a porous defense, it might need to. That's why I might project Houston to win its second division title in three years, even with a coaching change. Case Keenum looks like the next Paul Smith at QB, and his offensive line is intact. Defensively, Phillip Hunt and Ell Ash lead a three-man front on a defense I expect to improve.

Both these teams have nonconference schedules built for success - interesting but not impossible. Houston has Oklahoma State, Air Force and Colorado State, while Tulsa has North Texas, New Mexico and Arkansas.

Mid-American Conference - Nobody. If you saw Tulsa emasculate Bowling Green in the GMAC Bowl last season, you know this league is down. Temple won four games in the league last year, if that tells you anything.

Florida Atlantic - Quit laughing. Howard Schnellenberger is still large and very much in charge. It has taken him seven years, but his magic has taken root in Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale or wherever they call home.

After the Owls stuck it to Memphis 44-27 in the New Orleans Bowl last December, Schnellenberger reportedly declared, "Advanced training is over ... when we go to Texas next season, we're going there to win the game."

I don't expect that to happen, but if it does, brace for an Appalachian State-style earthquake. This is a veteran team with a capable quarterback in Rusty Smith, and it will go on to annoy Michigan State and Minnesota. The Owls will paste Alabama-Birmingham at home.

nn

Marshall fans, particularly those in the online community, showed what they are made of this week.

After Johnathan Goddard's fatal motorcycle accident in Florida, some of those fans launched a bereavement fund to defray the $13,000 funeral tab for his family. The initial goal was to raise $5,000.

As Herd fan Mike Gwinn told me Sunday morning, the fund has raised almost $6,000 in online donations alone. The organizers now believe they can reach the $13,000, with any excess going to the Big Green Scholarship Foundation in Goddard's name.

And Marshall fans haven't been alone. "We've had Mountaineers, Wolverines, Golden Eagles, Knights, Gators, Crimson Tide, Seminoles and UGa Bulldawgs to donate so far," Gwinn said. "Michigan and Alabama fans have responded in a big way. It's really heartwarming."

Again, the PayPal donation address is goddardbereavementf...@suddenlink.net, and regular mailing address is The Johnathan Goddard Bereavement Fund c/o Chase Bank, 1000 Fifth Ave., Huntington, WV 25701.

This takes the phrase "coming through in the clutch" to an entirely new level. God bless all who contribute.

Reach Doug Smock at 348-5130 or dougsm...@wvgazette.com.

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/Marshall/200806220318

• Content Count:  2,239

Is it me or did I see this copied twice in the same post?

I don't really disagree(oooo double negative) with the article as it pertains to UCF.  We have some ? floating around with a new QB and RB stepping in.

While it could end up making this a very fo

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,963
  • Days Won:  469

I think the C-USA Divisional crown is the goal anyway.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Yep... then they can make their cool signature banners that say "CUSA 2008 EAST DIVISION CHAMPS!" and tout how UCF is "Where Champions Come to Play!"

I know that as I raise my son in this world, I'm going to teach him that it's not about achieving immortality, it's not about dedication and devotion at the highest level... playing the best, beating the best, and taking on the toughest competitors to become the best you can be.  No no no... actually, it's all about winning a divisional championship in the 9th rated Division I conference in football! 

Yay UCF!  Where champions come to set off fire sprinklers and lose to BCS schools by 52 points!  Wooo hooo!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,444
  • Days Won:  13

Yep... then they can make their cool signature banners that say "CUSA 2008 EAST DIVISION CHAMPS!" and tout how UCF is "Where Champions Come to Play!"

I know that as I raise my son in this world, I'm going to teach him that it's not about achieving immortality, it's not about dedication and devotion at the highest level... playing the best, beating the best, and taking on the toughest competitors to become the best you can be.  No no no... actually, it's all about winning a divisional championship in the 9th rated Division I conference in football! 

Yay UCF!  Where champions come to set off fire sprinklers and lose to BCS schools by 52 points!  Wooo hooo!

LOL, I love this guy

• Content Count:  88

Ridiculous article. This writer apparently is not aware that Johnell Neal was shot multiple times during the offseason and that there is no report that he will be in a football uniform again. He also seems unaware that USM hired a BCS coach and annihilated us and ECU in recruiting this year.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Ridiculous article. This writer apparently is not aware that Johnell Neal was shot multiple times during the offseason and that there is no report that he will be in a football uniform again. He also seems unaware that USM hired a BCS coach and annihilated us and ECU in recruiting this year.

But he's KEENLY aware that you're C-USA, one small step above the Sunbelt in prestige.  Therefore, all other considerations are null and void.

Thanks for playing, please pick up your commemorative "C-USA Championship Game:  Like The Special Olympics But With Better Helmets" plate on the way out.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

He also seems unaware that USM hired a BCS coach

A BCS assistant coach ..... and why do you say he's unaware?

and annihilated us and ECU in recruiting this year.

He, like most rational human beings, doesn't put any weight into recruiting until things are proven ON the field ...

• Content Count:  2,239

He, like most rational human beings, don't put any weight into recruiting until things are proven ON the field ...

Like the two star gems Joe Burnett and Kevin Smith.  I don't put too much stock in recruiting rankings cause there are plenty of 5 star duds.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,963
  • Days Won:  469

Like the two star gems Joe Burnett and Kevin Smith.  I don't put too much stock in recruiting rankings cause there are plenty of 5 star duds.

I came to that realization about 7 years ago.  We agree on this.

Archived