• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New 2009 BB verbal: Jordan Dumars

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Maybe the next Stephen Curry?

I'm going to assume you mean impact from a son of an nba player, rather than playing style. 

I just hope he has the swagger that his dad had (has)...  if he has that trait, then it is a good pickup.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  261
  • Days Won:  0

Jordan Dumars not Joe Dumars

I recently received an email from Paul who runs a website called NextGenerationSports.net. The site is based around ranking local area High School athletes and does a great job profiling them.

I don't know if many of you know that Joe Dumars son Jordan plays basketball for Detroit Country Day, the same high school that Chris Webber graduated from. Well I was looking over his player page and I noticed something that I had to bring to your attention. Jordan lists his mother and father as his biggest influences but when asked who is NBA player was he answered.....

Ron Artest

Back to The Class of 2009

Jordan Dumars

j_dumars150.jpg

Height: 6'4" Weight: 215 Age: 15 Birth Date: 2.25.91

Position 3,4

High School Country Day

AAU Team Michigan Hurricanes

Achievements N/A

Biggest Influence Dad and Mom

Greatest Attribute Shooting

Needs to Improve Handling the Ball

Best Player Played With Darnell Brown

Best Player Played Against Ramar Smith

Favorite Player Ron Artest

Favorite Team (College or Pro) Detroit Pistons

Favorite Food Chicken

Favorite Movie How High

Favorite Musical Artist Young Jeezy

I would have guessed that he would have named Joe or at least one of the current Pistons. You have to give it up to Jordan for speaking the truth and stating that the one player that started "The Brawl," that tarnished The Pistons, The Palace, the City of Detroit and the NBA is his favorite player. Maybe he named Artest to get a rise out of his father.

http://www.need4sheed.com/2007/03/jordan-dumars-not-joe-dumars.html

As a former Detroiter I just wanted to inform you that Joe D named his son after Jordan because of the tremendous respect they had for each other's game. "The Brawl" had nothing to do with the city of Detroit. You're talking about an isolated incident, an idiot and his mental issues. Indiana was up by 15 points during that game. It was RON ARTEST who fouled Ben Wallace. It was Ron Artest who decided to lie on the scorer's table as if he was in San Cabo with a Pina Colada in his hand. OK, someone threw a cup of beer (waste of beer IMO), but is this any different than what happens at any other U.S. sporting event? No at all. Yes, the fight was over the top, but these were Indiana players fighting Detroit fans....Artest and Stepehn Jackson. On top of that, The Palace is located 50+ miles from the actual city of Detroit. Might I add that Auburn Hills has an average income of 90k+. Be careful of the assumptions you make. Yes, Detroit has issues, but it's unfair to relate it to a professional basketball game that took place in the suburbs of Michigan.

By the way, Country Day is a basketball powerhouse in Michigan. Along with Chris Webber, Shane Battier attended CD.

Guest BasketBull.

Names aside, when was the last time that we had early commits (we now have 2!)? NEVER!

I'm starting to get that warm and fuzzy feeling again. It could be "hope" coming back into my bball heart.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

VeryBullish, those were NOT my words. That was written on the page at the link I provided. Maybe you should address your comments to the guy who wrote the article.  ;)

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Names aside, when was the last time that we had early commits (we now have 2!)? NEVER!

I'm starting to get that warm and fuzzy feeling again. It could be "hope" coming back into my bball heart.

GO BULLS!

When was the last time we had this much pure shooting? Both Noriega and Dumars not only can shoot the 3 pointer but both can shoot it from a few feet behind the line.If I'm not mistaken the arc is going to be moved back making it a must to have guys that can knock it down.Considering what our potential will be for the 09-2010 season, this is the right direction to go with our recruiting.

CSH is trying to build a team the right way not just getting a guy because the slick recruiting sites have a bunch of stars attached to his name.We are getting guys that fill a role and are high character guys that come from a winning program.

Now hopefully we will go hard after Dago Pena as he is getting his release from FAU tomorrow.He fills a need for us this coming season as a SF that can also shoot the ball.Hopefully there is still interest from our side and Pena so he to will be welcome in the USF family. :)

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Bret has an article on his verbal to USF:

Ex-NBA Star Joe Dumars' Son Orally Commits To USF

By BRETT McMURPHY | The Tampa Tribune

Published: June 23, 2008

TAMPA - Jordan Dumars, the son of former NBA all-star Joe Dumars, verbally committed to the University of South Florida's men's basketball program Sunday.

A 6-foot-5, 230-pound shooting guard at Detroit's Country Day High School, Dumars said he chose USF over Duquesne, Dayton and Michigan. Duquesne was the only other school that offered him a scholarship, he said. A senior at Country Day this fall, Dumars will join the Bulls in the 2009-10 school year.

"I really liked South Florida, and I was comfortable with [Coach] Stan Heath," Dumars said. "Next to being comfortable with Coach Heath, I chose USF because it's in the Big East.

"They don't have the history of a Georgetown or Syracuse, but I wanted to go to a big-time conference like the Big East."

Both Dumars and his high school coach, Kurt Keener, said Dumars' strength is his shooting ability.

"He's a big, strong kid that's capable of playing the 2-guard or small forward," Keener said. "His greatest asset is his ability to shoot the ball. He's really a deep, long-range shooter."

As a junior last season, Dumars missed 10 games with a knee sprain but averaged 14 points a game. Keener set Dumars set a school record, making nine 3-pointers in a game. As a sophomore, Dumars was the sixth man on Country Day's state championship team.

"At about 6-6, 230, his body is very similar to his father's," Keener said. "I think his best basketball is still ahead of him. He's still developing athleticism with that big body. When he learns to attack the basket, he can be a really good player."

Being the son of Joe Dumars has been a big asset for the younger Dumars, Keener said.

"He's been around basketball all his life," Keener said. "He has a very high basketball IQ."

Added Dumars: "My dad taught me a lot."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jun/23/former-nba-stars-son-verbally-commits-usf/?sports-colleges-bulls

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Bret has an article on his verbal to USF:

Ex-NBA Star Joe Dumars' Son Orally Commits To USF

By BRETT McMURPHY | The Tampa Tribune

Published: June 23, 2008

TAMPA - Jordan Dumars, the son of former NBA all-star Joe Dumars, verbally committed to the University of South Florida's men's basketball program Sunday.

A 6-foot-5, 230-pound shooting guard at Detroit's Country Day High School, Dumars said he chose USF over Duquesne, Dayton and Michigan. Duquesne was the only other school that offered him a scholarship, he said. A senior at Country Day this fall, Dumars will join the Bulls in the 2009-10 school year.

"I really liked South Florida, and I was comfortable with [Coach] Stan Heath," Dumars said. "Next to being comfortable with Coach Heath, I chose USF because it's in the Big East.

"They don't have the history of a Georgetown or Syracuse, but I wanted to go to a big-time conference like the Big East."

Both Dumars and his high school coach, Kurt Keener, said Dumars' strength is his shooting ability.

"He's a big, strong kid that's capable of playing the 2-guard or small forward," Keener said. "His greatest asset is his ability to shoot the ball. He's really a deep, long-range shooter."

As a junior last season, Dumars missed 10 games with a knee sprain but averaged 14 points a game. Keener set Dumars set a school record, making nine 3-pointers in a game. As a sophomore, Dumars was the sixth man on Country Day's state championship team.

"At about 6-6, 230, his body is very similar to his father's," Keener said. "I think his best basketball is still ahead of him. He's still developing athleticism with that big body. When he learns to attack the basket, he can be a really good player."

Being the son of Joe Dumars has been a big asset for the younger Dumars, Keener said.

"He's been around basketball all his life," Keener said. "He has a very high basketball IQ."

Added Dumars: "My dad taught me a lot."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jun/23/former-nba-stars-son-verbally-commits-usf/?sports-colleges-bulls

have we ever had a 6'6 230 pound shooting guard?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Now hopefully we will go hard after Dago Pena as he is getting his release from FAU tomorrow.He fills a need for us this coming season as a SF that can also shoot the ball.Hopefully there is still interest from our side and Pena so he to will be welcome in the USF family. :)

Do we have room for him? Official site shows 11 bb scholarship players (BJ is on a football schollie). Gilchrist would be 12th if granted waiver ...... That's all we can have, correct?

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Yes... we have..

Zaronn Cann was 6'6 275 SG... although we played him at SF and PF because he was slowed by his injuries and the weight he gained due to not being in condition due to those injuries.  When he was in HS, he was 6'6 230 and one of the best players in the country as a junior.... such a shame.

Archived