• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hey Bulliever, an idea to provide content....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Brad,

I had an idea.  As a former subscriber to the USF Bullseye paper (Dave Glaser) and occaisional poster on the USF Rivals site, I had an idea.

You clearly run the better Bulletin board.

Dave did and still does some writing on the bulls and always had a great paper when he had one.

What if you had a two level site (or a one level site) where a person could only get the top paragraph on important stuff but had to pay for the details.  And you could use Dave Glaser as a writer for it?  You know, combine the best of both worlds.

Just looking for a way to get teh best of everything in one place, and also to help you with the cost thing.... 

Maybe a crazy idea, but the rivals free message board kind of sucks.  Too many nasty UCF fans (sorry to those UCF fans who are nice, but you guys have a lot of trolls on the other site).    I'd like some decent content and analysis here beyond what is posted sometimes, and would be willing to pay, and I miss Dave's paper.  I met him a few times and he is very nice. 

IMHO, would like to see the rivals site go away if the good stuff were posted here (even at a cost)...... 

Also, rather than a monthly charge, can you offer a quarterly or yearly charge that is lower for the current donations?  I do not know about 10 monthly, but would be willing to pay 40 or 50 per year.  Maybe in a few years would be willing to pay more, but just expressing my opinion.  I'd like to donate something....

Sorry for the rambling...

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

part of why this site has been so successful is because it IS a FAN SITE started by a SUPER FAN.

starting those teezers wont cut it.

this is more of a grassroots site.  in my opinion, but im not the one spending 240 a month on it. 

but id rather donate cash to someone then suscribe to a service...even if the donation was more than the subscription

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I believe that Glaser has approached Brad in the past about joining forces, and I believe that Brad has chosen to not go that route.  I think that Brad prefers to be an independent, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.  Working with groups like Rivals and Scout places a number of restrictions and requirements on you, and I think this site benefits from not having to deal with that regulatory environment.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

Dave and I have spoken a couple of times about combining operations.  The only problem is he wanted our stuff here folded into the Rivals network - the boards at Rivals weren't very functional back then, and ours was simply better.  I couldn't just see sending everybody to a poorly designed board and feeling right about it.  I thought we could do something better independently.  You wouldn't have the Rivals database of recruiting for what that's worth, but you also wouldn't have their limitations on design, features, etc.

I'd like to be able to offer a more content-driven  site some time in the future, but I do not have the capital to get it off the ground.  We're an all-volunteer group here.  I've had volunteers write for SouthFloridaBulls.com.  Volunteers usually don't last real long.  I hope by the time I relocate to Florida, I will have a solid business model to offer folks another alternative.  As many oldtimers remember, the official site of USF was very weak, that is one reason I started SouthFloridaBulls.com in '99.  The official site stunk.  Our (Bulls) web presence was poor is probably a better way to say it.  Now the official site is greatly improved and other sources report on the Bulls with greater diligence.

I appreciate the ideas.  We usually folllow the requests made from our member community and it impacts how the site is run and designed.  We're in a position to be more responsive.  We try to build a community and not a revenue stream.  Keep in mind this site was built in 1999 after another independent site folded, the first generation of Rivals failed, and there wasn't a whole lot out there for Bulls fans that had any stability.  That is when I decided I would fund it myself, but there was no way SFB/TBP was going to fold and leave USF fans out in the cold.  The commitment continues, so regardless of what we have the funding to do or not, TheBullsPen.com will be here until there is no longer a need.  It doesn't appear that is anytime soon.  Hopefully we'll grow our community of Bulls fans much, much larger.

Thanks for the reply, Brad.

My post was in no way a slam on the bulls pen.  I think I have been on here since 99 or 2000 and have watched it evolve.

I have watched the rivals USF message board decline during that same period.

I like this board and the ease and layuot much better, and obviously usf fans agree.

Was looking for a method to improve the writing/content while also helping to fund the board as I have always liked Dave Glaser's passion for the bulls and writing ability. 

Thought that by combining forces, it would become a single piont of USF information and one that provided great value.  Also one where by contributing we could maybe even make it a break even or for profit venture....

I would like to make a contribution to the site.  Is there a way to do that as a single instance rather than a monthly withdraw?

I understand, I didn't take it as a slam.

It would be great to consolidate the effort, but while Dave and I share a passion for the Bulls, I don't think we agree on the best way to showcase that in a website. 

Single donations can be made with the donate button in the sort of upper right area above the Countdown.

And like I said, I appreciate the ideas, criticism and support.

All I can say is thank you for having the vision and tenacity for creating and keeping this site active.  It is enjoyed by the growing USF faithful, and will only grow larger with time.  We all owe you a sincere round of applause.

The only thing I would criticise on is that during football and mbb season, I find it distracting.  It is easy to get lost in the bulls pen and forget about the little things like: doing work at the office, getting the kids at soccer, picking up milk or groceries, giong to bed at a reasonable hour during the work week, etc...    To a USF bull, this is as addictive as crack..... 

Seriously, though, thank you for all that you do.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Bulliever,

Did you ever approach the USF athletics department for funding?  This is clearly the best heaven for USF fans.  I couldn't see a reason they wouldn't throw $100 a month as a donation for spreading the brand.

No, their funding needs to go to Athletics.  This is a fans site.  They do enough for me and the rest of us already.  This is our way of spreading the branding and the community interest, especially online.

To clarify, we're not actively seeking funds to stay afloat or anything.  I'm committed to the success of TheBullsPen.com. 

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

No, their funding needs to go to Athletics.  This is a fans site.  They do enough for me and the rest of us already.  This is our way of spreading the branding and the community interest, especially online.

To clarify, we're not actively seeking funds to stay afloat or anything.  I'm committed to the success of TheBullsPen.com. 

Just thinking of ways to make it easier on you.

and thanks for what you're doing!

Archived