• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Question For Members Of H.O.T.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

First of all, yes D. Rob is gone, but - as much as he did for the USF Athletic Band program - it is currently a well-oiled machine and is in the capable hands of the Assistant Director of Athletic Bands(Schnetty) as well as logistics coordinator/Band Manager(Mary Dooley), for one year until the University hires a new Director of Athletic Bands in 2009.  Not to mention the start of the USF HOT Alumni Association!!!  We will be there in Full Force this year at the homecoming game playing alongside HOT for the first time. 

Lets face it...once this budget fiasco gets back to normal and we learn how to divey up the band stipends(freshman should not get paid), the numbers will go up.  My understanding was that they were going to cap the band at 300 and hold auditions for the next couple of years - BECAUSE OF THE BUDGET.  They are going to get about 450-500 kids that want to be in the band.  So they are going to take returning members from last year (about 225), and Audition for the remaining 75-100 spots.  This will make the band get much better MUCH FASTER!!!  Then when the time/budget is right, they will be able to expand to 350 and beyond.  Can we have a 400+ member band? Absolutely!  But can the school afford to send that band to every close away game?  Without splitting it up?  nope!

Personally, I say that the school is full of crap and should think of a cost efficient way to have the band reach 400+  like it would this year.  However, in the long run, the current option will be much more beneficial to the band and will make HOT a privilege, as opposed to just something you do.  People want to be in HOT now, so an audition process will allow people to actually fight to keep their spots in the band.  In a couple of years we will be ready to add some more.  However, there is always the obstacle of Uniforms, HOT only owns 400.  Not enough to field a band of more than 350(size differences and such).  I estimate that if the budget scare goes away, then the HOT will reach a number of 350 auditioned members that will rock your FREAKIN' FACE OFF!!!  As it is, 300 member is twice as big as any other band in the Conference.  WVU is the only band that can hold a candle to HOT, they are in the 300's as well. 

Don't worry guys,

Listen, I'm one of HOT's biggest fans(those who know me can chime in), and I trust the HOT staff with whatever decision they make.  The only reason they are held back sometimes is because of the athletic department/University. 

GO BULLS!!!

QFT

He's right about the auditions... I will quickly turn HOT from a band of some that live it and some that just want to be there to 300 of the loudest SOB's you've ever seen. HOT already has the attitude that bands of note have (FSU ect) and the talent is there. Force the situation and turn it into something you have to tryout for and make? Watch the heck out... The surrounding counties have some of the best high school bands in the state and recruiting will become key.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  296
  • Days Won:  0

D'Rob mentioned there was some ~250 new people interested in joining HOT for next year in addition to the returning members a couple months ago

• Content Count:  809

There's absolutely nothin with a cap bein put on H.O.T.

All it's gonna do is build tradition. Once it hits that cap, it's gonna stay at the cap, and traditions will hopefully form.

ex: FSU marches 400 (which is too many people imho) and they do the SAME pre-game show year after year, and everyone who's actually IN the stadium during pre-game knows when to yell and cheer.

Think about the future.

• Content Count:  398

No one has mentioned yet that this coming season is HOT's 10 year anniversary. :D It will be amazing.

Archived