• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why Notre Dame will never join the Big East...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think ND ever had good season since 1991 with NBC contract. I know there is no better than .600 record since 1996..

In 1993 they beat FSU in the first "Game of the Century" match-up at ND.  At the time, and for future years, that was one of the most highly rated regular season college football games ever.  They've had some good seasons since 1991, but have not been consistent since then.

Dang, you beat me to that one... Later that year ND lost to BC on a last second field goal and FSU "won" the national title even though they barely squeaked by Nebraska in the Orange bowl.  If I remember right, ND smacked the crapola out of someone in their bowl game and beat the "National Champions".

A playoff would put an end to all this BS and none of it would matter.  ND would be forced to join a conference.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I don't think ND ever had good season since 1991 with NBC contract. I know there is no better than .600 record since 1996..

Weis' first two years they were 9-2 and 10-2 before losing in the bowl games.  Guess you don't follow the Irish too closely or aren't that good at math.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

In 1993 they beat FSU in the first "Game of the Century" match-up at ND.  At the time, and for future years, that was one of the most highly rated regular season college football games ever.  They've had some good seasons since 1991, but have not been consistent since then.

thanks for putting your two cents in

• Content Count:  4,016

Dang, you beat me to that one... Later that year ND lost to BC on a last second field goal and FSU "won" the national title even though they barely squeaked by Nebraska in the Orange bowl.  If I remember right, ND smacked the crapola out of someone in their bowl game and beat the "National Champions".

A playoff would put an end to all this BS and none of it would matter.  ND would be forced to join a conference.

They smacked a top 10 TAMU team that year in the Cotton Bowl I believe.  DT Bryant Young told 49er teammate William Floyd when he was showing off his NC ring, "ND is on that ring" and Floyd said "How", Bryant said "See that 12-1 record, we're that one loss on your ring."  Floyd didn't find it funny.

Other conferences have tried to broker a deal with ND wherein ND would keep their tv revenue but their BOT is made up of many oldtimers, and football relics that love being independent and would never hear of a conference.

You are right that a playoff would force them to make a move, but my biggest fear is they'd do something rash and stupid and pick a BE, or ACC tie-in over the BE.  Again, damaging the BE overall prestige.

• Content Count:  2,363

why is NBC stupid?  ND football is still a huge TV draw ALL over the nation...not just regionally like 95% of college football

Exactly. It's not NBC that's dumb, just the millions who are still snowed by the "Irish mystique"

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

per fannation.com...

"Ken Schanzer, the president of NBC Sports. Schanzer has a son and a daughter at Notre Dame. The eldest son of **** Ebersol, the chairman of NBC Sports, is a graduate."

Archived