• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New pro soccer team and stadium coming to Tampa....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  398
  • Days Won:  0

I agree that soccer is and probably never will be popular in the US. We're far too interested in baseball and football.

If it were on campus, I would go watch it though.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,985

first of all professional soccer sucks and will not make it here. second of all why would usf push them to build their stadium on campus? its a 6000 seat stadium. big deal. high school football stadiums are bigger

Have you ever watched professional soccer in the English Premier League?  The sport moves fast and people get hurt at times much worse than American football.  Why is soccer the worlds most popular sport? Don't answer that question I know.

The defining point to the excitement level is the severity of injuries?

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

first of all professional soccer sucks and will not make it here. second of all why would usf push them to build their stadium on campus? its a 6000 seat stadium. big deal. high school football stadiums are bigger

Have you ever watched professional soccer in the English Premier League?  The sport moves fast and people get hurt at times much worse than American football.  Why is soccer the worlds most popular sport? Don't answer that question I know.

I don't necessarily agree that professional soccer sucks, but he's dead on with it not making it here. Simply put, soccer is just not popular in America.

Add in the fact that the league thats coming is about as low on the pro soccer food chain that you can go and i would not be surprised if this failed in a few years.  Soccer is unwatchable if the players are of poor quality. 

That's an even better reason to try and get the stadium built on USF property, as we would have it all to ourselves after the team failed.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

The defining point to the excitement level is the severity of injuries?

People watch Nascar for some silly reason

• Content Count:  98

When the owners say they want to build "their own stadium" why on earth would they want to deal with a Florida State institution?

Also, northwest Tampa, if I am to read into that correctly that does not equal Temple Terrace but more Westchase and Town and Country.  If it was your investment, where would you choose?

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

When the owners say they want to build "their own stadium" why on earth would they want to deal with a Florida State institution?

Also, northwest Tampa, if I am to read into that correctly that does not equal Temple Terrace but more Westchase and Town and Country.  If it was your investment, where would you choose?

They are looking at the town and country area.  Waters/Veterans or the general vicinity...

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

6000 seat stadium sounds like a a stadium for kids not a pro team

bring back the rowdies

• Content Count:  809

West Tampa would be good, there's a big hispanic population over there. I used to go to the Mutiny games back in the day, and Rowdie games as a child, there was ALWAYS a large hispanic crowd at those games.

• Content Count:  883

I live in Town and Country and believe me, pro soccer would be huge in this area.  If they're gonna put it anywhere, this would be the right part of town.  Matter of fact, put it in the middle of Timberlane, my neighborhood. 

Bull Martin, NASCAR is freaking awesome!  Go to a race (if you haven't) before you condemn it.

• Content Count:  2,661

Add in the fact that the league thats coming is about as low on the pro soccer food chain

USL First Division is the top American league other than MLS. It's still a tough sell, though, especially in a major market like Tampa Bay is. And I don't think 6000 works for a capacity either. It won't be big enough to host an MLS team or any US national team events. A city the size of Tampa should build the thing to major-league specs or not bother.

BTW I live in Omaha where Creighton University has a great soccer-specific stadium. Hopefully this project will be as nice.

Archived