• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Won and done for woods

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

Woods set to have season-ending knee surgery

Tiger Woods has decided to have surgery on his left knee, which will end his 2008 season.

Woods said on his Web site that he will have surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament. He also wrote that he needs time to rehabilitate a double stress fracture of his left tibia, which he said was discovered just before the Memorial Tournament in late May.

And he revealed that he originally ruptured the ACL in 2007 while running at his home in Orlando after the British Open. He said he decided not to have surgery at that point, and he went on to win five of the next six events he entered (through his Target World Challenge in December).

Woods said no date has been determined for the surgery.

"I know much was made of my knee throughout the last week, and it was important to me that I disclose my condition publicly at an appropriate time. I wanted to be very respectful of the USGA and their incredibly hard work, and make sure the focus was on the U.S. Open," Woods said on his Web site. "Now, it is clear that the right thing to do is to listen to my doctors, follow through with this surgery, and focus my attention on rehabilitating my knee."

Woods was last seen at Torrey Pines with the U.S. Open championship trophy in hand. He played 91 holes last week, finally beating Rocco Mediate in a playoff to win his 14th major, four behind Jack Nicklaus' record of 18.

"While I am obviously disappointed to have to miss the remainder of the season, I have to do the right thing for my long-term health and look forward to returning to competitive golf when my doctors agree that my knee is sufficiently healthy," Woods wrote on his Web site. "My doctors assure me with the proper rehabilitation and training, the knee will be strong and there will be no long-term effects."

Woods had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee on April 15, two days after he finished second in The Masters in April.

Woods had committed to playing in next week's Buick Invitational. He hosts the AT&T National the week after that, at Congressional Country Club in Washington, D.C.

Woods played only seven times worldwide this year and won five of them. He had been scheduled to play in the British Open in July and defend his PGA Championship title in August. He had never missed a major championship in his career.

Woods also will not be available for the Ryder Cup in September at Valhalla, just outside Louisville, Ky. According to the PGA of America, the ninth player in the U.S. standings through the PGA Championship will qualify for the U.S. team. By winning the U.S. Open, Woods mathematically clinched a spot on the team.

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

should read "Won and done"

• Content Count:  7,890

Fixed

• Content Count:  883

Glad I used a fantasy start on him this past weekend and got my bonus points.  The only reason I didn't start him in round 1 was because he was injured and I wasn't sure how he was gonna hold up.  Also, I really thought Phil was gonna make a run at the title.

• Content Count:  3,307

So the guy walked 30 miles and played golf for five days on a torn ACL and a cracked leg? That's some guts, even if golf isn't a contact sport.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

So the guy walked 30 miles and played golf for five days on a torn ACL and a cracked leg? That's some guts, even if golf isn't a contact sport.

Tiger is the most ridiculous athlete any of us will prolly see in our lifetime.  There needs to be a word with a greater meaning than dominant to describe him. 

• Content Count:  3,307

Tiger is the most ridiculous athlete any of us will prolly see in our lifetime.  There needs to be a word with a greater meaning than dominant to describe him. 

ferrellaslipton.jpg

"Scrum-trilescent!"

Archived