• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

The land of big and tall

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

SO true Gary, but to win consistently in the BE we'll still need to sprinkle in a blue chipper here or there.  Guys like Gransberry, Gilchrist, and maybe Mercer fit the bill.  The hows, and why's they come here is secondary like those three, but we'll need those guys to match fire power in a conference that is seemingly getting stronger by the minute.

Did you realize that of the pre-senior top 150 list for 2009 the Big East schools already have 16 commitments, more than any other conference by a long shot.  The funny thing is looking at what a school like Gtown has accomplished under junior recently.  It has been amazing, especially when you consider Junior's teams for the most part have achieved that with great but not elite talent, and got a little lucky with a guy like Roy Hibbert (who was a three star non-top 150 type player when he signed).  Since that time Junior has signed or has committed 5 five star players.  If you thought Gtown was good now, imagine a line-up with Summers, Greg Monroe, Austin Freeman, Braswell, and Chris Wright- that will be a team of 4 five star athletes, and the four star, Wright, was like the 5th best PG coming out of any ranks.

Grab those overachievers like Jones, find one or two fine athletes like an Akol, and add 1-2 blue chippers and now you're talking about a good mix of players.  With the right coaching, and Heath's pressure transition offense, and you're talking about a team that can win 9-12 BE games maybe year in and year out.  That gets you post season each year, and keeps the blue chippers interested.  It just takes one catalyst, one great year, and then things can start rolling.  Then we won't need Gtown, UL (Pitino is another scary guy when it comes to assembling talent- he could have five five star athletes on his squad next year), or Uconn type classes to keep up.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Speaking of "big and tall," John Riek has withdrawn his name from the draft. I know he was seriously considering USF and is a good friend of Akol, but I don't know if he is qualified. Maybe he can walk-on. LOL 

John Riek is headed back to IMG Academy for another year...

Muraisi said the plan was for Riek to "learn and relax" at IMG, while taking SAT prep classes and likely taking the SAT "in the fall semester."

Many schools had shied away from Riek because of his limited English, althogh Winchendon coach Mike Byrnes said Riek has come a long way.

"He articulated 75-80 percent of the stuff that he wanted to in English," Byrnes said. "I think he really came a long way articulating himself in the English language. Obviously, in that short a bit of time, it's going to be difficult to pass an SAT test."

"It's open recruitment for him," Muraisi said. "I'm not calling any schools. Everybody's waiting to see what happens to him. Nobody's ahead of anybody right now (school-wise)."

http://blog.zagsblog.net/2008/06/19/riek-head-back-to-img.aspx

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Probably a wise move for Riek.  One more year of experience, plus some additional learning in the classroom... he certainly had zero chance of getting drafted, and the same holds true next year too.  One more year of prep should get him noticed by colleges a bit more.  We could use his height now, but his scouting report lists him as kinda slow, and we need the tall gazelle types like Solomon Jones was for us.

Don't get me wrong... i'd take him... but I'd prefer to have more time with him on the team AFTER he gets a little better, as the chances are he won't stay all 4 years wherever he goes.  He wants NBA and the only reason he isn't going now is because he has no chance yet.

Archived