• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

You have to wonder about some of the local HS coaches?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  760
  • Days Won:  0

Im sure most coaches are looking out for their athletes, but what I think exbull means is that when coaches say "hold out for UF", they arent basing it on the kids best intrest but merely on getting them into the "bigtime school". So lets say UF, FSU, UM, and USF are all recruiting one athlete. Where do you think the coach wants him to go? When its quite possible that it may be better for the kid to stay at home close to his family, or maybe he'll get more playing time and make a better impact at USF, or some other factor that can get overlooked because a coach pushes you to go where he sees best.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Nothing a little email from CJL to the HS coach couldn't straighten out (email is cc'd to the HS AD, HS Principal and school district superintendent of course).

"Dear Coach _________,

Recently, while recruiting one of your players and offering the player an opportunity to improve his life both athletically and academically at USF while on full athletic scholarship, it came to my attention that you marginalized USF to the player while complementing another program.  Such a statement is an insult to USF, albeit indirectly.

While it is difficult to recruit in an atmosphere where opposing NCAA coaches make insulting comments about opponents programs, it is near impossible to recruit in an atmosphere where high school coaches lob the insults.

Coach ___________, if I ever hear of another instance where you disparage USF either directly or indirectly, I will deem recruitment at _______________ High School to be virtually impossible and will cease all future recruiting efforts with regard to players that play at your high school.  Furthermore, if I am ever contacted by a player at your high school or a parent of a player that plays at your high school, I will inform that person that I do not recruit players from that high school because you have been their coach.

Well, I'm off to "crush film".

Sincerely,

Jim"

Cut off your nose despite your face.

An idle threat would get USF no where.  We'd either lose credibility or talent.

USF isn't the only school offering the kid opportunity and scholarships.

I still argue who’s to say that USF is any better than any other opportunity?

Sounds like these coaches in particular need to be set straight.  I mean support the kid first and advise him second if, AND ONLY IF, the kid seeks your advice.  Getting "mad" and asking a kid about UF after the kid HAS ALREADY MADE A LIFE CHANGING DECISION is neither support nor advice . . . . . its actually pretty cruel especially when you consider the age disparity and the position the coach (an educator first and foremost) has in the young man's life.

The easy thing for CJL to do would be to kiss their butt, which is what their looking for and offer them a bunch of perks that are tantamount to a fu**ing bribe (extra tickets, extra sideline passes, tours of facilities, use of facilities, career advice, coaching advice, speaking engaements to their players.  Fu*k that, CJL needs to lay it out for them straigt: (1) USF is a successful D-1 program, (2) these guys are high school coaches and not bodyguards or agents, and (3) when they have a good player enrolled at the school we want to take a look and not worry about wasting our time because the coach is spewing ******** about USF because Urban Meyer (while scooping a player the year before) told him that UF will have a low level assistant job opening up in the future and he hopes the high school coach submits a resume.

• Content Count:  113
  • Days Won:  0

I know a coach(that i don't think very highly of) at a local high school in Pinellas and recently he said that he and the other coaches hate CJL.  He said one reason is because CJL and USF's other coaches put down the other schools too much instead of just talking up USF. This is probably why we lost kids like the Johnson's and why we will fail to land Mike Marry. Very unfortunate for USF.

I know a few other coaches at this school and to tell you the truth it's a disgrace that people of their character are supposedly looking out for the future of these kids. I'm sure this is the case at a lot of schools.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I know a coach(that i don't think very highly of) at a local high school in Pinellas and recently he said that he and the other coaches hate CJL.  He said one reason is because CJL and USF's other coaches put down the other schools too much instead of just talking up USF. This is probably why we lost kids like the Johnson's and why we will fail to land Mike Marry. Very unfortunate for USF.

I know a few other coaches at this school and to tell you the truth it's a disgrace that people of their character are supposedly looking out for the future of these kids. I'm sure this is the case at a lot of schools.

Well, thats a shame . . . . seriously.

With that said the public claims to hate negative campaign ads, but they are too successful not to employ.  Negative recruiting is similar.  And like negative campaign ads, negative recruiting is here to stay.

USF will stop talking crap about UF and FSU and UM when they don't need to talk crap about them.  Until that time, a little mud must be flung.

You know, I bet before last year Tommy Tuberville probably told players that had USF on the radar something folksy like, "Well shucks, if you like USF you need to come to the game and watch us beat them in 2007."

. . . . . after the 2007 game and the Baker commitment to USF . . . . .

Tubby probably says, "You know they don't play on campus and I hear their coach is a bit of a jerk."

To be the man, you got to beat the man!!!

Archived