• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

You have to wonder about some of the local HS coaches?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  292
  • Days Won:  0

Andreas Shields was right here in our back yard at Wharton High and when he committed to USF, the only thing his coach can say is "what if Florida wants to come in?":

I had a number of schools that were really interested in me – Kansas, FAU, FIU, The Citadel – and they knew how solid I was on USF. They pretty much just said, well, if anything changes with South Florida, let us know so we can get back involved. But I never had any second thoughts at all. I realized it was the best for me and I want to stay in Tampa. My high school coaches were mad. They'd say, 'What if Florida wants to come in?' but that didn't mean anything to me. I wanted to be at USF. That's cool.

There are way to many coaches who want to make sure that their kids go to Big Name programs instead of supporting them to make a decision that is best for them.  I saw this way to much even at my HS growing up when our coaches would only push the big schools just so that could say they sent X number of kids to UF, FSU, etc. 

http://usf.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=816502

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

You wont be ******** in a few years when/if USF becomes a college football powerhouse

• Content Count:  37

A few months ago on the FlaVarsity.com the rivals Florida High School site there was a long thread about how local coaches were pissed about USF and UCF being originally scheduled for Friday night. This might have some bearing on why some local coaches have kind of been upset with USF. Quite a few of these people talking are on the staff of local teams.

http://flavarsity.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=326&mid=111368256&sid=957&tid=111368256&style=1

• Content Count:  1,433

There's just a bias that's been built over a long period.  We are breaking through...we have an advantage with the kids because we are hot right now....maybe we weren't 15 years ago but going into schools and looking around did you ever think the Bulls logo would be so visible?  It's everywhere....

• Content Count:  398

Both my brothers are still in high school, and for their birthdays/Christmas I always give them Bulls stuff. They wear them all the time.

• Content Count:  292

You wont be ******** in a few years when/if USF becomes a college football powerhouse

Bull Martin...I'm not really ******** about the coach saying something specific about another team other than USF.  What I was trying to get across is that too many coaches don't understand that by saying something as simple as "well what if so and so starts to call?" can have an huge impact on how that kid thinks and directly impact their decision.

Obviously all coaches have a fiduciary responsibility to look out for the student/athletes they coach and to make sure they provide them the best opportunity to continue their education.  However, when a coach's bias comes into play I think that is wrong. 

My high school baseball coach, who I respect more than anyone when it comes to the game of baseball, always seemed to push our players to the big named schools.  Even though I'm sure he knew that perhaps they would have more success playing for a smaller school (i.e. not a traditional powerhouse).  Some of them should be more concerned with how many in general they send to the next level, not how many they send to the big name traditional schools just so they have that on their resume.

And yes I'm sure in 5 - 10 years a coach will probably be saying to a kid..."why not wait until USF gives you a call", still won't change my view that coaches should support the kids decision the best he/she can.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

i wonder if leavitt warm personality had anything to do with it

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Nothing a little email from CJL to the HS coach couldn't straighten out (email is cc'd to the HS AD, HS Principal and school district superintendent of course).

"Dear Coach _________,

Recently, while recruiting one of your players and offering the player an opportunity to improve his life both athletically and academically at USF while on full athletic scholarship, it came to my attention that you marginalized USF to the player while complementing another program.  Such a statement is an insult to USF, albeit indirectly.

While it is difficult to recruit in an atmosphere where opposing NCAA coaches make insulting comments about opponents programs, it is near impossible to recruit in an atmosphere where high school coaches lob the insults.

Coach ___________, if I ever hear of another instance where you disparage USF either directly or indirectly, I will deem recruitment at _______________ High School to be virtually impossible and will cease all future recruiting efforts with regard to players that play at your high school.  Furthermore, if I am ever contacted by a player at your high school or a parent of a player that plays at your high school, I will inform that person that I do not recruit players from that high school because you have been their coach.

Well, I'm off to "crush film".

Sincerely,

Jim"

Bull Martin...I'm not really ******** about the coach saying something specific about another team other than USF.  What I was trying to get across is that too many coaches don't understand that by saying something as simple as "well what if so and so starts to call?" can have an huge impact on how that kid thinks and directly impact their decision.

Obviously all coaches have a fiduciary responsibility to look out for the student/athletes they coach and to make sure they provide them the best opportunity to continue their education.  However, when a coach's bias comes into play I think that is wrong. 

My high school baseball coach, who I respect more than anyone when it comes to the game of baseball, always seemed to push our players to the big named schools.  Even though I'm sure he knew that perhaps they would have more success playing for a smaller school (i.e. not a traditional powerhouse).  Some of them should be more concerned with how many in general they send to the next level, not how many they send to the big name traditional schools just so they have that on their resume.

And yes I'm sure in 5 - 10 years a coach will probably be saying to a kid..."why not wait until USF gives you a call", still won't change my view that coaches should support the kids decision the best he/she can.

Well, then I'm glad you stand on the moral high ground.

I'm all for coaches pushing players to go to USF.  If we have to battle against it now and we are winning then I am happy.  If we are losing then I'm sad, but I know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

And what makes you think that it's best for the kid to go to USF rather than UF.

Maybe the coach really IS looking out for the kid’s best interest.

Nothing a little email from CJL to the HS coach couldn't straighten out (email is cc'd to the HS AD, HS Principal and school district superintendent of course).

"Dear Coach _________,

Recently, while recruiting one of your players and offering the player an opportunity to improve his life both athletically and academically at USF while on full athletic scholarship, it came to my attention that you marginalized USF to the player while complementing another program.  Such a statement is an insult to USF, albeit indirectly.

While it is difficult to recruit in an atmosphere where opposing NCAA coaches make insulting comments about opponents programs, it is near impossible to recruit in an atmosphere where high school coaches lob the insults.

Coach ___________, if I ever hear of another instance where you disparage USF either directly or indirectly, I will deem recruitment at _______________ High School to be virtually impossible and will cease all future recruiting efforts with regard to players that play at your high school.  Furthermore, if I am ever contacted by a player at your high school or a parent of a player that plays at your high school, I will inform that person that I do not recruit players from that high school because you have been their coach.

Well, I'm off to "crush film".

Sincerely,

Jim"

Cut off your nose despite your face.

An idle threat would get USF no where.  We'd either lose credibility or talent.

USF isn't the only school offering the kid opportunity and scholarships.

I still argue who’s to say that USF is any better than any other opportunity?

Archived