• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will there be a big 4 in Florida Football?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

apparently you guys have forgotten the bowl game already.  if you thought Oregon's "unconventional" offense gave us fits, just imagine what an unconventional offense with a heisman QB could do...

Was I the only one to notice that during that game our star senior LB (also the team capt) was nowhere to be seen?  By that time he was going through a separation from his wife.  If Moffitt's head was really in that game, well I'll eat my favorite Bulls visor for lunch.  He was invisible that entire game.  I don't even remeber hearing his name once.  He was out of place (and so was everyone else that depended on him making calls) all day.  Not to say I can blame him... I think a football game is much less important than family.

Do not judge the defense on one lousy performance. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  193

apparently you guys have forgotten the bowl game already.  if you thought Oregon's "unconventional" offense gave us fits, just imagine what an unconventional offense with a heisman QB could do...

Was I the only one to notice that during that game our star senior LB (also the team capt) was nowhere to be seen?  By that time he was going through a separation from his wife.  If Moffitt's head was really in that game, well I'll eat my favorite Bulls visor for lunch.  He was invisible that entire game.  I don't even remeber hearing his name once.  He was out of place (and so was everyone else that depended on him making calls) all day.  Not to say I can blame him... I think a football game is much less important than family.

Do not judge the defense on one lousy performance. 

Rocky Top's hard-on for the SEC is clouding his judgement. You have to remember that UF owns UT on the football field. One of the greatest moments in UF history has to be Peyton Manning crying like a big baby his senior year after never beating Florida.

UF would never hang 70 on our defense. We had the speed to match their skilled positions. Facing Tebow wouldn't be much different then Pat White except for the short yardage plays.

• Content Count:  4,501

I don't hear many people refer to it as "the big 3" outside of this board.

Florida is going to be very good this year.

Miami is going to take a huge step back in the right direction with another year under Shannon.

FSU will struggle to get 8 wins.

We should be competing for a BEAST championship and could have 10 wins this year.

So, I would consider us a part of the elite programs in this state.

You need to watch the sports media more often because they are constantly refering to the "Big Three" in the state of Florida.

Um. Which media?  Most people don't use the term "Big Three" at all... at least, not for some time.

ESPN - Fox - local  Take your pick.  The reason you haven't heard it lately is FSU and Miami have been stinking it up but the second they get back in the top 15 you will hear it often.

• Content Count:  4,501

I don't hear many people refer to it as "the big 3" outside of this board.

Florida is going to be very good this year.

Miami is going to take a huge step back in the right direction with another year under Shannon.

FSU will struggle to get 8 wins.

We should be competing for a BEAST championship and could have 10 wins this year.

So, I would consider us a part of the elite programs in this state.

You need to watch the sports media more often because they are constantly refering to the "Big Three" in the state of Florida.

Um. Which media?  Most people don't use the term "Big Three" at all... at least, not for some time.

here is a quick example  http://www.gatorcountry.com/football/article/its_no_longer_the_big_three/3593

Don't know what you think about what they say but it is the headline of the article.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

To be in the big 3 you have to beat one of the big 3, win multiple conference championships, compete for national championships, and continue this success over multiple seasons.  They didn't become the big 3 by beating each other they became the big 3 by dominating their conferences and being in the national title hunt year in and year out and beating each other.  Until we do the same we will never be a part of a big anything. 

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Wanted to get other's opinions.  USF came out last year as the second best team in the state (in virtually all polls, stats, and measurements).  Beast is a tougher conference than ACC hands down.   Of course, SEC is probably the toughest....

FSU has had multiple down years in a row. UM wasn't looking good last year. 

Anyway, if USF beats some ranked opponents, comes in first or second in the BEAST, and if 3 - 4 teams are top 25 in our conference, and assuming we go to a bowl and end up top 25 for our season, will there truly be a Big 4 in the state of florida. 

Or do you feel that it will take years for us to prove that we belong with the Big 3, thus creating a big 4.  If so, how many years will it take to show we were not a fluke last season? 

Obviously some joker will post "win the NC and we will prove it".  We could be a decade away from that, or just a couple of seasons, hard to tell.

On a related note, do you think UM and FSU will continue in the Big 3 / Big 4 of Florida, or do you see that tapering off?  I for one feel that once bowden steps down, and since Tally does not have much to offer (compared to Tampa or Orlando) more kids will not go there over time.  I don't see the attaction today, quite honestly.   Miami has some great HS football programs and they can always continue to recruit local kids.  but, being a private college and quite expensive, it is prohibitave for many to attend there.  This could affect their future growth.

So, I want people to weigh in on whether USF will become part of the Big 4, and if you see any programs declining in the next 5 years or so...

there sure are a lot of "ifs" in this post...

u didn't graduate from a university in Orlando, by any chance, did u?

Nope, proud graduate (twice) from a University in Tampa whose colors are green and gold.  Research my past posts and you will quickly see where my loyalties lie....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,554
  • Days Won:  29

Last season, UF and USF were the best teams in the state by far.

Everyone has definations of the "Big 3" ... many go by history.

UM & FSU didn't start being great until the 80's.

UF didn't win a Conf. Championship until the 90's.

USF moved in the right direction in 2007 and BULLieve we will not take a step back this season. After the 2009 & 2010 season, we will have a chance to have a stronger argument.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived