• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will there be a big 4 in Florida Football?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

apparently you guys have forgotten the bowl game already.  if you thought Oregon's "unconventional" offense gave us fits, just imagine what an unconventional offense with a heisman QB could do...

...because QB's killed us last year, not big, strong running backs. Oh wait, it was our run defense where we were a little weak. And UF had such a stellar running game last year. Harvin was their leading rusher right? And we're not so good against speed to the outside (ask Slaton).

It's ok to just say you made a sarcastic remark, we'll let it slide, but did you actually come back and defend your point that UF would have scored 70 on us?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  412
  • Days Won:  0

CJL's right- gotta beat 'em to join 'em. And it's got to be done year in and year out. We need to beat Miami throughout the series, gain nat'l cred, win the UF games, then have FSU man up and finally play us. Granted we don't need to play all three every year, but we need to play at least one every year to be considered Big 3/4

• Content Count:  3,078

apparently you guys have forgotten the bowl game already.  if you thought Oregon's "unconventional" offense gave us fits, just imagine what an unconventional offense with a heisman QB could do...

...because QB's killed us last year, not big, strong running backs. Oh wait, it was our run defense where we were a little weak. And UF had such a stellar running game last year. Harvin was their leading rusher right? And we're not so good against speed to the outside (ask Slaton).

It's ok to just say you made a sarcastic remark, we'll let it slide, but did you actually come back and defend your point that UF would have scored 70 on us?

they had a top 20 running offense...

Tebow is one of the biggest, strongest running backs in the country

Harvin >>>> Slaton

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

they had a top 20 running offense...

Tebow is one of the biggest, strongest running backs in the country

Harvin >>>> Slaton

Auburn only allows 17 points to them but we'd allow 70 ....... right. UF would probably beat us but I can't imagine them scoring 70 on us.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

To paraphrase Coach Jim Leavitt... "You gotta beat 'em to join 'em."

Next year. Miami comes to Raymond James stadium.  That is when USF will officially join the Big 4.

Exactly, not until we beat the big boys.

• Content Count:  4,501

I don't hear many people refer to it as "the big 3" outside of this board.

Florida is going to be very good this year.

Miami is going to take a huge step back in the right direction with another year under Shannon.

FSU will struggle to get 8 wins.

We should be competing for a BEAST championship and could have 10 wins this year.

So, I would consider us a part of the elite programs in this state.

You need to watch the sports media more often because they are constantly refering to the "Big Three" in the state of Florida.

Excuse me but we clearly were the second best school in the state last year and I would have liked a shot at UF.

Selvie vs Tebow, that's big time.

At Ray Jay, we'd have had a real chance.

Ha.... UF would have put up 70 on us

You are absolutly right on that -  if we played 12 quarters of football.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Wanted to get other's opinions.  USF came out last year as the second best team in the state (in virtually all polls, stats, and measurements).  Beast is a tougher conference than ACC hands down.   Of course, SEC is probably the toughest....

FSU has had multiple down years in a row. UM wasn't looking good last year. 

Anyway, if USF beats some ranked opponents, comes in first or second in the BEAST, and if 3 - 4 teams are top 25 in our conference, and assuming we go to a bowl and end up top 25 for our season, will there truly be a Big 4 in the state of florida. 

Or do you feel that it will take years for us to prove that we belong with the Big 3, thus creating a big 4.  If so, how many years will it take to show we were not a fluke last season? 

Obviously some joker will post "win the NC and we will prove it".  We could be a decade away from that, or just a couple of seasons, hard to tell.

On a related note, do you think UM and FSU will continue in the Big 3 / Big 4 of Florida, or do you see that tapering off?  I for one feel that once bowden steps down, and since Tally does not have much to offer (compared to Tampa or Orlando) more kids will not go there over time.  I don't see the attaction today, quite honestly.   Miami has some great HS football programs and they can always continue to recruit local kids.  but, being a private college and quite expensive, it is prohibitave for many to attend there.  This could affect their future growth.

So, I want people to weigh in on whether USF will become part of the Big 4, and if you see any programs declining in the next 5 years or so...

there sure are a lot of "ifs" in this post...

u didn't graduate from a university in Orlando, by any chance, did u?

Ahh, I thought Oregon had some guy named Stewart that was a pretty  good RB.  Didn't he get drafted in the first round of the NFL draft ?  Like the second RB picked behind Mcfadden ?  You must not remember that strong RBs gave us fits last year not elusive QBs plus UF RBs were not very inspiring.

I don't hear many people refer to it as "the big 3" outside of this board.

Florida is going to be very good this year.

Miami is going to take a huge step back in the right direction with another year under Shannon.

FSU will struggle to get 8 wins.

We should be competing for a BEAST championship and could have 10 wins this year.

So, I would consider us a part of the elite programs in this state.

You need to watch the sports media more often because they are constantly refering to the "Big Three" in the state of Florida.

Um. Which media?  Most people don't use the term "Big Three" at all... at least, not for some time.

Archived