• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  2

I personally don't care for soccer, but enough people do worldwide that I wouldn't denigrate it.

I try not to but sometimes it is hard not to, and yes as a child I played it for one season.  I work with a lot of Euros and over the years have heard that  the "US lost again" and had to ask them "At what?"  When informed that it was in some international football tournament I had to educate them that their sport of choice is not called football here (it is soccer) and that it is generally played by women and children in the States.  I would argue that our best athletes choose to play other sports.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  500
  • Days Won:  0

I personally don't care for soccer, but enough people do worldwide that I wouldn't denigrate it.

I try not to but sometimes it is hard not to, and yes as a child I played it for one season.  I work with a lot of Euros and over the years have heard that  the "US lost again" and had to ask them "At what?"  When informed that it was in some international football tournament I had to educate them that their sport of choice is not called football here (it is soccer) and that it is generally played by women and children in the States.  I would argue that our best athletes choose to play other sports.

Usually played by woman and children? Just because you are an unathletic loser and got run off the soccer field in a season doesnt mean the sport doesnt require great ability.

GO AZZURRI

Usually played by woman and children? Just because you are an unathletic loser and got run off the soccer field in a season doesnt mean the sport doesnt require great ability.

GO AZZURRI

Ha, Ha.  Try to be fair with a soccer fan and still get the shaft.  Not that it matters but I did not run much as a goalie and its not my fault that my mom was in fear of me playing baseball (where I lived at the time the seasons coincided). When my dad returned from his tour of duty overseas, I was back to playing catcher.  While not a great athlete, I was hardly a loser like you seem to think.  I don't think that I am out of line in my recognition that the sport is very popular with women and children, that is not a slam.  Football, baseball basketball, hockey, and even wrestling are more popular with non-Hispanic boys/men.

I remember hearing from soccer teammates in the late '70's how soccer was going to surpass football in popularity in the U.S.  I did not see that happening at the time.  Even though our demographics have changed since then, it is hard to belive that the above could happen in my lifetime.

Just because one says that he does not follow a sport or care for it does not mean he thinks that it takes no ability.

• Content Count:  1,981

Son of a *&^. Piece of &*(&&* satellite! I was watching the Czech Republic v Turkey game, 2-1 with 12m to go when my satellite went out 'cause of the rain. Game ended 2-3 Turkey. I can't believe they scored two more times in the last 12 minutes and I missed it. I'm calling Brighthouse tomorrow. This is B.S. we have satellites that can take pictures of stars millions of miles away, but my p.o.s. antenna craps out after a light drizzle.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Son of a *&^. Piece of &*(&&* satellite! I was watching the Czech Republic v Turkey game, 2-1 with 12m to go when my satellite went out 'cause of the rain. Game ended 2-3 Turkey. I can't believe they scored two more times in the last 12 minutes and I missed it. I'm calling Brighthouse tomorrow. This is B.S. we have satellites that can take pictures of stars millions of miles away, but my p.o.s. antenna craps out after a light drizzle.

Oh man, you missed a great 12 minutes! Pure domination by the Turks. I couldn't believe the scored those 2 goals! Absolutely incredible!

• Content Count:  2,661

Lots of exciting games in the Euros this year.

That Turkey-Czech ending was insane, but so was Turkey's last-second win over host Switzerland. Spain-Sweden was also a very good game, with Sweden losing a heartbreaker.

The Netherlands and Spain are fun teams to watch (Portugal too, but Germany eliminated them).

Spain-Italy on Sunday will be a war. Though I'm personally not a fan of the Italian style of play, which seems to emphasize falling down and writhing in agony over the slightest contact.

These players are the literally best of the best of the best; national teams of nations that regularly produce world-class soccer talents. The competition is in the quarterfinal round now, so it's really worth a look.

That Turkey-Czech ending was insane, but so was Turkey's last-second win over host Switzerland. Spain-Sweden was also a very good game, with Sweden losing a heartbreaker.

This Turkey team is just ridiculous. I can't believe they pulled another spectacular win, this time against Croatia.

• Content Count:  1,219

Now Russia has defeated Holland, who looked so good in group play!

Now Russia has defeated Holland, who looked so good in group play!

Maybe all the #1s shouldn't have rested all their starters for the 3rd game of the group round 'cause they have all lost so far. Let's see if Spain can be the only #1 to make it to the semis.

Archived