• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can anyone explain Western Kentucky?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Actually, that is nothing more than Brett's opinion.  Coaches that have the power to refuse opponents on the schedule have that power directly out of their contract, and Leavitt has no such clause in his contract.  Leavitt has input, but Woolard is the final decision maker.  How much pull Leavitt has with Woolard is a different story...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I imagine most coaches have input on who they play.  The level of that input is up to the particular AD.

As for DP's comment that CJL's input is the reason we won't be playing UCF, that's silly.  Based on your reasoning, CJL would have had to approve the first 4 games right?  There's no part of your team's on-field performance in the first 3 that would make CJL want to avoid your program.  The reality is, and you know this, is that our teams will play again at some point but our administration does not want a yearly series with UCF. 

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

The first 4 were pushed on USF by the CUSA brass as part of their exit.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The last 2 were.  We had to play 5 games, and CUSA said we could play 2 more with you guys and they would waive the 5th.

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

The last 2 were.  We had to play 5 games, and CUSA said we could play 2 more with you guys and they would waive the 5th.

You're right.  Since I posted mobile, I couldn't go back and edit the post.  The first two was Genshaft's way of getting Constantine(and another Rep who later removed their name from the bill) to back off mandating the game like UF/FSU.  The rest is as you said.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

Leavitt runs the show on the schedules.  Woolard may be the one making the deals, but the final say goes to Leavitt:

From TBO Blog

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

"As I stated back in 2006, I understand Leavitt’s scheduling philosophy (and although USF provides a Woolard quote on its scheduling releases, make no mistake: Leavitt OKs the opponents) for the five nonconference games: 1 home and 1 away vs. BCS teams, 1 Division I-AA home game and 2 non-BCS teams."

Wow.  KL was right all along. 

No, he wasn't ..... Leavitt okaying ooc opponents, as has been pointed out, is probably no different than what any other major college football coaches do. As usual, BM tried to make it sound more dramatic than what it really is.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

The first two was Genshaft's way of getting Constantine(and another Rep who later removed their name from the bill) to back off mandating the game like UF/FSU.

Link?

Archived