• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Getting Ready - Week One

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

Can you tell I am getting anxious for the season to start?  I spent some time studying the first week of the 2008 schedule.  There are some games of interest among those played Thursday 8/28 through Monday 9/1.  If you're bored like me, you may want to read my take on some of them.

Thursday, August 28th

The season opens mostly with a whimper, but there are a few nuggets among the sluice.  A couple of our old I-AA friends are playing on opening night.  God bless 'em.

Hofstra @ UConn - Hofstra has no chance, even if they had Gio and Maurice Colston. (Sorry 3r20, NOT)

Charleston Southern @ Miami (the FL one) - Yikes.  The U knows how to pimp the record to begin the season.

The game we need to pay attention to on Thursday night:

NC State @ South Carolina - Let's see what the Wolfpack look like.

Friday night, August 29th

Rest up for Saturday (or go see Adaris Bellamy run for a million yards in his HS game)  ;)

Saturday, August 30th

Numerous games of interest.  One in Raymond James Stadium should be of interest to some readers.  But beyond that, here are some noteworthies.

Syracuse @ Northwestern - How bad can the Cuse start the season?

Utah @ Michigan - What will the Wolverines look like under Rich Rod, Big Rod, et al?

Villanova @ West Virginia - The only BE conference game of the weekend....wait, this isn't hoops.

FIU @ Kansas - The Goldie Panthers soften up the Jayhawks.  ;D

Washington @ Oregon - OK, most of you could care less, but growing up in Seattle a Husky fan, this was always a big game.  I want to see how the Ducks fare without Jonathan Stewart.

Appalachian State @ LSU - Can lightening strike two years in a row?  Not likely.....

Sunday, August 31

Kentucky @ Louisville - ESPN will show this one and we will see how Year Two of the Kragthorpe era gets started.

Monday, September 1

Fresno State @ Rutgers - ESPN will show this one too.  Schiano's gonna have to make sure the zebras see things his way to win this one.  ::)

Not the best opening weekend in college football history, but any week of college football is better than any week without it.

Next week...Week Two (are you surprised?)

Normal

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,363

Appalachian State @ LSU - Can lightening strike two years in a row?  Not likely.....

I also don't see it happening in a million years, but it's interested that the first week brings a clash of the champions of FCS and FBS. If the Mountaineers pull that one off, no FBS school would sign them ever again.

Guest BasketBull.
Villanova @ West Virginia - The only BE conference game of the weekend....wait, this isn't hoops.

Villanova has football? Aren't they like 500 students, 1 cat and a basketball team?

Villanova has football? Aren't they like 500 students, 1 cat and a basketball team?

Almost 10,000 students (grad & undergrad), actually.

Interesting fact: USF's student section at RayJay is bigger than the entire Villanova Stadium (12,5000 -> 11,800)...

source

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

that ought to be a thrilling game!

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

that ought to be a thrilling game!

lol

• Content Count:  398

Let me introduce you to the Empire State Building... where lightning strikes more than once. And often.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,319
  • Days Won:  10

It is now less than 90 days until the season starts.  I pledge to wear my football jersey all day every Saturday until Aug. 30!  You all are invited to join in. 

But you have to wear your own jersey, mine is not big enough for all of us...

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Nova was one of UCiF's four massive football wins in 2006.  IIRC, UCiF beat them by at least 25 points.

• Content Count:  2,363

Nova was one of UCiF's four massive football wins in 2006.  IIRC, UCiF beat them by at least 25 points.

And the headlines read "UCF DEFEATS BIG EAST POWERHOUSE"

Archived