• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Your keys to a successful 2008 FB season

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Days Won:  2

Grothe was healthy all last season, and we still lost 4 games.  his health isn't the issue, his decision making is.  he needs to increase TDs and decrease INTs.  one more TD than INT again is not going to cut it.

the biggest key to success this season is running more than 5 plays.

if i dont see more than 5 offensive plays run this season, i will personally lobby to have Greg Gregory fired.

the Grothe-to-BBQ hand-off option is garbage.  that play shouldn't be run more than 5 times a game, if that.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  412
  • Days Won:  0

I refuse to blame the refs for anything- if we play poorly enough to get screwed by one or two bad calls, we don't deserve to win.

A balanced attack of someone other than Grothe running the ball.

Healthy O- Line to open up those holes and allow Grothe to have time to make good decisions.

Receivers that catch the ball.

I know I sound like John Madden ("score the most points"), but even if we run two plays, perfect execution goes a long way. Just ask Rutgers and UConn- runs straight up the middle did us in.

• Content Count:  106

Grothe was healthy all last season, and we still lost 4 games.  his health isn't the issue, his decision making is.  he needs to increase TDs and decrease INTs.  one more TD than INT again is not going to cut it.

the biggest key to success this season is running more than 5 plays.

if i dont see more than 5 offensive plays run this season, i will personally lobby to have Greg Gregory fired.

the Grothe-to-BBQ hand-off option is garbage.  that play shouldn't be run more than 5 times a game, if that.

???

I recently re-watched the WVU game and we had more than 5 different offensive formations (let alone plays) in the first quarter alone.

For me the biggest key is the interior D-Line. If they are effective, our defense won't lose a step. If not, we will be in for a very long season, giving up long drives, losing time of possession, and watching our offense sit on the sidelines helpless.

If Genus and McClain can stay healthy and productive, we can have a VERY successful season.

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

Better mid-game management and a healthy O-line.

Thats all we needed last year to put us in the National Championship game.

• Content Count:  385

A running game that isn't Grothe

Either a beefed up D-line or better playcalling for those runs up the middle.  Nearly every game we lost, we got beat up in the middle.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Now that the majority of the team is not made up of feshman and sophomores they need to start playing like it.  The biggest keys to success will be maturity.  Especially on offense.

The receivers need to run proper routes (beyond the first down markers and learn to help help out the QBS) and catch the ball.  Continue to cut down on the mental mistakes.  Eliminate the need for stupid timeouts.  I have never seen a team call so many timeouts on the first play of a drive or so early in a half.  Grothe needs to make better decisions on when to take a sack and cut down on INTs.  These are all signs of an immature team.

Other than that one of the kickers needs to be reliable from less than 40 yards.

• Content Count:  1,777

Offense:

- Grothe needs to pass more and continue to work on his accuracy

- Wide Receivers need to catch the ball and get yards after the catch

- One Running back needs to step up and become the leading rusher (After that I do not care if Grothe or another RB is number 2)

Defense:

- Second String DB needs to step up (Really have no choice in this matter)

- Improvement to the middle of the defense line

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Cool.  I hope we get this guy.  Nebraska ran what amounts to a three play offense for years and he came in with his pro-style offense and really turned things around out there in Lincoln. . . . they love him.  I asked him all about it last week while he waited on my table at Applebees.

Callahan.jpg

IMO, our offense is fine.  Just like Nebraska (whose old-school offense looked genius when Tommy Frazier's option was Lawrence Phillips) its about getting players to run the system.  Our offense will improve with a solid RB help.

Regarding the thread topic, our keys are:

1.  Solid RB performance (which will beget all other offensive improvements on my wish list);

2.  Chris Robinson's development/arrival as the beast we all think he is; and

3.  Improved special teams performance (all aspects).

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

1. Give Mike Ford the frigging ball!!!  He is a beast and will reduce and/or eliminate his fumbles with more carries.

2. Grothe needs to run less.  Only let him run QB draws a few times a game, and CERTAINLY not on third down!

3. Our FG kicker (whoever it may be) needs to really step up and be consistent.  Rutgers and UConn would have been won with FGs.

Archived