• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I hope he works out better than the Hulk did for us.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

There was a blurb on USFScout that we are looking at a OT from a CA JUCO to play in the fall.

My guess is that it might be Zach Hanson who originally signed with Nevada back in 2006.

Old article from August 2005:

Strength: In search of the perfect blocker

Linden High School's Zach Hanson

Thomas Shull feels pretty good when Zach Hanson is the only thing standing between him and the prospect of getting pummeled by his team's defensive line in practice.

"I'm really comfortable having him there," said Shull, who is competing with Rod Ruegsegger for Linden's starting quarterback job. "You feel safe. He makes holes for the backs, and his pass protection is great."

Opposing defenders usually figure that they're going to have a tough day against the 6-foot-9, 295-pound left tackle, who is ranked as the No. 15 prospect on **** Lascola's 111-player California Top Prospect list.

Although offensive linemen rarely get any glory on the field, Hanson said coaches and skill position teammates make the group feel appreciated.

"Our coaches say we're the most important people on the team," he said. "They teammates always make us cookies or food. They take care of us real well."

Based on his size, the food has paid dividends. As for his skill, Hanson spent the summer perfecting his blocking techniques, learning new combo blocks and finding new ways to get off the ball faster at team camps in Galt and at the University of Oregon. He said Cal, Oregon, UCLA, UNLV, Nevada and Sacramento State have expressed an interest in his services.

"He's a smart kid," Lions head coach Mike Huber said. "He takes pride in learning the game, and he's put in the time in the weight room."

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050827/SPORTS04/508270339

Is he comming?

intrested?

I think he's just seriously interested, but if he's going to be here in the summer then we should find out soon enough. I am not a subscriber and just read the brief info. You can read about it on the front page of their website.

Greg has a story about him:

May 30, 2008

USF has tough competition for 6-foot-8 tackle

It's been clear since the end of last season that right tackle would be a crucial position for USF, and despite a strong spring from former walk-on Jake Sims and promising freshman Mark Popek coming in, the Bulls are continuing their efforts to upgrade the position. USF could make a late addition to its incoming recruiting class, and one prospect the Bulls are targeting is Zach Hanson, a 6-foot-8, 315-pound tackle from Sacramento City Community College in California.

USF's interest in Hanson was first reported by Josh Newberg at USFnation.com, and I was finally able to get Hanson on the phone Thursday night. Hanson's an interesting case, in that USF and other schools had already offered him a scholarship to join them in January 2009, but he recently learned that he could get his associate of arts degree this summer, allowing him to play major-college ball this fall.

The good news for USF? The Bulls are the only school that's locked down a visit from Hanson, who expects to fly to Tampa early next week. He told me Cal and UCLA are also schools he's considering -- he's from Linden, Calif., about 45 minutes south of Sacramento. The bad news? Three schools have jumped into the mix this week -- Florida, Tennessee and Ohio State -- and while none of the three have offered, they've asked for his game tapes, so the Bulls have some elite-level competition for him.

Hanson played guard last season, but only because the left tackle was his brother Matt, who will play at Midwestern State in Texas this fall. Hanson wants to play left tackle, but said one of the reasons he's interested in USF is "the coaches at South Florida said I'd have a chance of stepping in and playing right away." Playing in Raymond James Stadium is "a huge thing" for him, and it's worth noting that a recruit in California knew about the Bulls before they knew about him. He watched the Bulls on ESPN a few times last season as USF rose to No. 2 in the national rankings, illustrating the power of those national TV appearances.

Hanson originally signed with Nevada-Reno out of high school, but didn't like the atmosphere at summer workouts and never enrolled there. He only played one season at Sac City, so he'll have three years of eligibility wherever he signs, and he said he'll even have a redshirt season available. USF has a connection in that receivers coach Mike Canales has worked with Sac City coach Mike Clemons, who declined to comment on Hanson when reached this week. Sounds like he's frustrated to be losing a starting lineman right before the season starts. Anyway, Hanson said he'll take at least two visits before making a decision, but USF is solidly in the mix by landing the first visit ...

Posted by Greg Auman at 10:09:32 AM on May 30, 2008 | Permalink | Comments (4)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/05/usf-has-tough-c.html

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Wow!

I hope he becoems a Bull.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Greg has a story about him:

May 30, 2008

USF has tough competition for 6-foot-8 tackle

It's been clear since the end of last season that right tackle would be a crucial position for USF, and despite a strong spring from former walk-on Jake Sims and promising freshman Mark Popek coming in, the Bulls are continuing their efforts to upgrade the position. USF could make a late addition to its incoming recruiting class, and one prospect the Bulls are targeting is Zach Hanson, a 6-foot-8, 315-pound tackle from Sacramento City Community College in California.

USF's interest in Hanson was first reported by Josh Newberg at USFnation.com, and I was finally able to get Hanson on the phone Thursday night. Hanson's an interesting case, in that USF and other schools had already offered him a scholarship to join them in January 2009, but he recently learned that he could get his associate of arts degree this summer, allowing him to play major-college ball this fall.

The good news for USF? The Bulls are the only school that's locked down a visit from Hanson, who expects to fly to Tampa early next week. He told me Cal and UCLA are also schools he's considering -- he's from Linden, Calif., about 45 minutes south of Sacramento. The bad news? Three schools have jumped into the mix this week -- Florida, Tennessee and Ohio State -- and while none of the three have offered, they've asked for his game tapes, so the Bulls have some elite-level competition for him.

Hanson played guard last season, but only because the left tackle was his brother Matt, who will play at Midwestern State in Texas this fall. Hanson wants to play left tackle, but said one of the reasons he's interested in USF is "the coaches at South Florida said I'd have a chance of stepping in and playing right away." Playing in Raymond James Stadium is "a huge thing" for him, and it's worth noting that a recruit in California knew about the Bulls before they knew about him. He watched the Bulls on ESPN a few times last season as USF rose to No. 2 in the national rankings, illustrating the power of those national TV appearances.

Hanson originally signed with Nevada-Reno out of high school, but didn't like the atmosphere at summer workouts and never enrolled there. He only played one season at Sac City, so he'll have three years of eligibility wherever he signs, and he said he'll even have a redshirt season available. USF has a connection in that receivers coach Mike Canales has worked with Sac City coach Mike Clemons, who declined to comment on Hanson when reached this week. Sounds like he's frustrated to be losing a starting lineman right before the season starts. Anyway, Hanson said he'll take at least two visits before making a decision, but USF is solidly in the mix by landing the first visit ...

Posted by Greg Auman at 10:09:32 AM on May 30, 2008 | Permalink | Comments (4)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/05/usf-has-tough-c.html

So to translate, he went to play football for University of Nevada, a WAC program, out of HS---gosh the University of Nevada faithful have to hate the name Nevada-Reno...it's so 1-AAish.  Didn't like it, then spent a year in JC, and has transformed himself into a high 1-A quality player.  Yeah, this could be enormous for us in 2008 and beyond.

I don't hold a lot of stock since most of the Pac10 wants him and he's a West Coast kid.  But if he truly wants playing time, and I mean almost guaranteed opportunity on a BCS program then USF would be it.  In front of him he's got solid but newby walk-on Jacob Sims, and injury prone Marc Dile for 2008, and by 2009 both tackle slots would be presumably open, unless Sims turns out to be amazing and shuts the door on one- but I have my doubts about that.  If he truly wants that then hopefully he sees through the BS, but my money says he stays West Coast.  To me mostly people are either West Coast or East Coast, no in between.

• 4 weeks later...

Update June 25:

One more note: I talked Wednesday night with Zach Hanson, the huge tackle from Sacramento who visited last weekend and was hosted by senior center Jake Griffin. He's down to USF and Kansas State, where he'll visit Thursday, and said he expects to decide by Sunday. He said North Carolina called this week and offered him a scholarship, but he told them he was happy with his final two choices. As far as USF? "It looks like a place I can fit in well at," he said. "The facilities are really nice, and I'd have a chance to come in and play right away." We'll get another updated on the 6-foot-8 Hanson this weekend ...

Posted by Greg Auman at 10:42:34 PM on June 25, 2008 | Permalink | Comments (0)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/06/lake-gibson-twi.html#comments

• Content Count:  176

Posted on K-S board DOES THE NAME ZACK HANSON mean anything- 240 views  one ansewer NO

Posted on K-S board DOES THE NAME ZACK HANSON mean anything- 240 views  one ansewer NO

Let's hope the KSU coach doesn't recognize Hanson's name either. BTW, his first name is spelled Zach in case you want to google him.

• Content Count:  176

Mama- any chance you can open that roladex for Mr. Hansen? 2o'ck Sat.

Archived