• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Chase Griffith

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

another great aspect is this is a top Tallahassee kid and with the Noles in turmoil there is little chance for them to come in and sway his mind no matter how great his senior year in HS is.  Could not have said this just a few years ago.

You must not have heard of a WR recruit this year named Streeter...

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

another great aspect is this is a top Tallahassee kid and with the Noles in turmoil there is little chance for them to come in and sway his mind no matter how great his senior year in HS is.  Could not have said this just a few years ago.

Sorry, but I don't recall that he made an early committ in this way to USF.  I could be mistaken.

Have you ponied up for the USF 'The Bulls Pen' Softball $tadium Fund at the top of the main board?

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Sorry, but I don't recall that he made an early committ in this way to USF.  I could be mistaken.

He didn't, but he did have USF tied with South Carolina on the top of his list.  Miami wasn't even in the running, and he ended up at Miami.

I'm just saying no matter how down and out FSU, UM, or even UF are.  They can never be considered out.  I really hope the verbal sticks, but theres a long time between now and signing day.  A REALLY long time.

He didn't, but he did have USF tied with South Carolina on the top of his list.  Miami wasn't even in the running, and he ended up at Miami.

I'm just saying no matter how down and out FSU, UM, or even UF are.  They can never be considered out.  I really hope the verbal sticks, but theres a long time between now and signing day.  A REALLY long time.

My point was strickly in regard to FSU and how we are making noticeable inroads into their backyard while I beleive they are seeing diminihsing success in greater Tampa Bay area.  UM and certainly UF will get who they want, but to be competitive with FSU is a big step up for us and down for them.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Great story about his commit to USF.

Griffiths commits to USF

By Corey Clark • DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER • May 21, 2008

It may very well be one of the most bizarre recruiting commitments in Big Bend history.

In the middle of a drill during the first week of North Florida Christian spring practice, South Florida assistant football coach Mike Canales calmly walked over to rising senior Chase Griffiths.

"We're officially going to offer you a scholarship," Canales told the Eagles' linebacker right there on the practice field. "We want you to play for us."

Griffiths thought about it for roughly three seconds before telling Canales he wanted to play for the Bulls, too.

The two then shook hands.

And with sweat streaming down his face, Griffiths committed to the University of South Florida football program.

"It was different," Griffiths said with a laugh. "But I just love the school. I love the campus. It's a great football program. The coaches are great. It's close enough to home. It was pretty much everything I wanted in one.

"It's a great all-around school."

The Bulls are getting themselves a pretty good defender, too.

At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, Griffiths is being recruited as a linebacker but could also grow into the defensive end position as well. He registered more than 80 tackles and 12 tackles-for-loss in helping lead the Eagles to the Class 1A state championship game.

Griffiths is obviously used to winning, so the fact that South Florida has made such a splash on the national scene in recent years, including rising as high as No. 2 in the polls last season, played a definite role in Griffith's decision.

"Yeah it was," Griffiths said. "They haven't been around that long, but every year their program is getting better and better."

So much so that Griffiths turned down offers from Auburn and Notre Dame, among others, to commit to the Bulls.

"USF has a great team," he said. "They're up and coming and they're competing with all of the schools like Auburn. And I just thought everything I needed was right there."

Griffiths becomes the third local prospect in the last two years to commit to South Florida.

Lincoln High quarterback B.J. Daniels, the Tallahassee Democrat's choice as 2007 Big Bend Offensive Player of the Year, and Chiles wide receiver Daniel Bryant both signed scholarships with USF in February.

"I like where the program is going," Griffiths said. "And I feel like I can go down there and help out."

Since he's still just a junior, Griffiths won't officially be able to sign a scholarship with South Florida until National Signing Day next February.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080521/SPORTS01/805210335

• Content Count:  622

Nice... smart kid  ;)

• Content Count:  2,726

"They're up and coming and they're competing with all of the schools like Auburn. And I just thought everything I needed was right there."

That was my favorite line in the interview.  This kid looks like a stud.  Hopefully we can get him down here and Coach Burnham and crew can shape him into one of the greats. 

GO BULLS!!!

This nice article includes the answer to a seperate post about whether last year would be remembered for getting to #2 or the swoon.

Archived