• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe #12 of Dual-Threat QBs (per one writer)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,631
  • Days Won:  3

I agree with him that he would be higher with fewer interceptions last year, but I still think he's at least in the top 10.

http://theredzonereport.com/2008/05/11/2008-top-20-dual-threat-qbs/

• Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

White at #3 ??? are you serious?

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

White is a choke artist, but still good.

But Coly Mccoy?  I didnt realize he was a dual threat.

• Content Count:  1,251

Pat White is disgusting......def deserves to be at #3.....just watch him play any team but USF......we just make him look bad haha

• Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

I know he looked pretty solid against Pitt as well.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

White is better than the Lefovour, who plays noone.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,444
  • Days Won:  13

I know he looked pretty solid against Pitt as well.

What about Grothe and Cincy, or Oregon?

Using a game or two works both ways. Some of our fans are so blinded by the green and gold shades.

I think Grothe is a very solid QB, but he is very over-rated in the eyes of many USF fans.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

White at #3 ??? are you serious?

When as a QB you lead the team in rushing yards for the season, then I think you deserve to be labeled a "good" dual-threat QB.

Just look at Grothe - he was our leading rusher the past two seasons.

• Content Count:  118

Dan LeFevour at #2? I mean the guy is good, but come on he plays in a joke of a conference. I understand that he did well against Purdue, but Purdue was trash in the second half of last year. It's the same thing with the Nevada dude, and Chase Clement who plays in a conference worse than some 1AA conferences. Colt McCoy is not really a dual threat I mean 400 rushing yards when most guys on that list have over 1000? Please.. Then you got Daniel who was basically a pocket passer last year, and probably will be again this year but he belongs on the list more than McCoy.

After those guys, there are more guys that while they deserve to be on the list Grothe should be ranked ahead of. Juice Williams is a great player don't get me wrong, but Rashard Mendenhall was that teams main rushing weapon Williams was basically a complement and his passing leaves a lot to be desired. Lets see what he does without Mendenhall before ranking him ahead of Grothe. Stephen McGee was supposed to explode last year, and didn't really A&M was pretty much a disappointment aside from the Texas game. Kellen Lewis had a lot of help from James Hardy, don't think he will have the same kinda season without his main weapon.

So I guess my list if I were to do it

1) Tim Tebow, Florida

Tempting to put Pat White here, but Tebow is a better passer than White and is coming off winning the heisman trophy. Plus he put up better numbers against a much tougher SEC schedule, one of the best dual threats ever.

2) Pat White, West Virginia

If he can finally conquer USF, he definitely has the tools to have a heisman season but the let downs against USF the past 2 seasons have hurt him and hopefully it will hurt him again this year.

3) Matt Grothe, South Florida

I understand the interception numbers are bad, but this guy had a horrible cast of receivers last year and a coaching staff that refused to use their best running back in key situations and relied on him to win games by himself as a sophomore. He has twice led USF in rushing, he's definitely a capable passer. Yes there is a significant gap between the top 2 guys, and him right now but putting any of these other guys ahead of him is crazy.

4) Chase Daniel, Missouri

Definitely has a case to be ahead of Grothe, but he didn't run nearly as much last year so if he isn't going to be used as a dual threat he can't be ranked that high as a dual threat. At least thats my logic, but if he was used more that way i'd have him ahead of Grothe.

5) Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State

Seized the starting job during the second game and put together an amazing season. He does lose his top receiving weapon, but he should put together another strong season.

• Content Count:  1,985

Sorry, love Grothe to death, and beginning of last year I would agree with this, but by the end of the season he was figured out and could not break it loose when needed.  He became so predictable, coupled with poor play calling, and injuries to line, he was not a number 3 dual threat QB.

Even a dual threat QB should not be your leading rusher.  The whole point of the versatile QB is to pop surprise plays.  Matt became the 1st down pass, 2/3rd down runner, 4th down scrambler.  It was easy to see, and easy to defend. 

Archived