• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Getting to #2 in the land was very important

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  760
  • Days Won:  0

Off topic, but that post put me on the Scout team. Woo Hoo! Only took 4 months lol

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Our season will be remember more for our epic collapse from the top of the mountain than for our unprecedented climb to get there.

Although I completely disagree with BigBully on this one, I have to admire his persistance and unwavering ideals.  I remember logging onto the BullsPens the night that we lost to Oregan and he was saying the same exact thing.  Like I said, I don't agree with him but I can see where he his coming from.  At least he doesn't flip flop or sway like grain.

I'm still trying to figure out who will be doing the remembering in his scenario ... our fans, other fans, the media, other coaches .... who?

I'm referring to a pretty significant consensus in the college football world...  Visit any national forum, and you'll find more than a few folks who thought the Bulls were a flash-in-the-pan while we were at #2, and who had that opinion confirmed when we dropped a fat, steaming deuce to close out the season.  The fact is a lot of people saw our rise to the top more a result of other teams' failures than our dominance or talent as a team.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying nothing was gained from last season.  Name and brand recognition were improved TREMENDOUSLY, which is no small thing.  But the impressions of the Bulls' brand name that come with that recognition are not fantastic--- people don't think "powerhouse" when they think of the Bulls; people still do not see us as a team to be reckoned with; we are still not feared or admired or even very respected; we are not seen as a team with an abundance of talent; we still aren't even seen by a consensus of sports analysts as one of the top 2 teams in our conference, nevermind in the country. 

I'm happy and proud beyond belief that we made it to #2 so quickly, and did it by beating teams like AU and WVU, but an identical record to the previous year topped off with a bad bowl loss should be disappointing to any honest, objective Bulls fan... And the fact that it happend AFTER we got a brief taste of the limelight made it that much more disappointing, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Bottom line, when people mention that we were ranked #2 at midseason, people will AUTOMATICALLY think "what happened?" and remember that we lost 3 straight to **** teams like Buttgers and the bums at UConnvict (Cinci was decent last year), and got effed with no lube by an Oregon team running its 4th string QB.

I'm not a "green and gold" beer goggles kinda guy.  I don't make excuses for my team or try to polish a turd. A turd is a turd, and being ranked #2 at midseason is like saying you were ahead of Jeff Gordon on the 4th lap of a race but finished in 10th place at the end.  And saying "well we only lost to RU, UConn, UC by 3, 7 and 5 points!!" sounds like some UCiF type ****... Since when did the almighty, badass, Auburn killer, Mountaineer slayer, SOUTH FLORIDA motherforking BULLS need to celebrate "moral victories" against those scrubs???????

When a team sets the standard of overachieving, growing and reaching success faster than virtually any other team in CFB history, anything less is a disappointment. I expect better than that from this team, and if we don't hit 10 wins this season and lose to Buttgers and Cinci I will say this season is a disappointment as well.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Off topic, but that post put me on the Scout team. Woo Hoo! Only took 4 months lol

And we'll look back on you joining the scout team as a day of complete joy and supreme fanhood, instead of the day you type out the words "USF might as well stand for U Suck at Football".  Blasphemer.

i reached Scout Team status on my first day.

i'm long-winded and churn out posts like SMAZZ on crack.  50,000 here i come!

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

National Perspective:  Talented team that is up and down (not bad if you ask me).

Carolina Bull's Perspective:  C-O-L-L-A-P-S-E.  It was in our hands and we pissed it away.  We started 6-0 and finished 3-4.  I could look for a precedent where a team was #2 in the third week of October only to end the season unranked, but it would only depress us all. . . . . I fear we may be the NCAA record holders with regard to the most complete, late season collapse.

National Perspective:  Talented team that is up and down (not bad if you ask me).

Carolina Bull's Perspective:  C-O-L-L-A-P-S-E.  It was in our hands and we pissed it away.  We started 6-0 and finished 3-4.  I could look for a precedent where a team was #2 in the third week of October only to end the season unranked, but it would only depress us all. . . . . I fear we may be the NCAA record holders with regard to the most complete, late season collapse.

Yep.

i love my Bulls to death, but a collapse is a collapse.

• Content Count:  760
  • Days Won:  0

And we'll look back on you joining the scout team as a day of complete joy and supreme fanhood, instead of the day you type out the words "USF might as well stand for U Suck at Football".  Blasphemer.

I never said it, just heard it from my dad cause some of his friends who gave him **** after we lost those 3 games thought it was halarious. Unfortunately for him, I gave him some USF scrubs to sport and the doctors he worked with (who were from other Florida schools) gave him crap for weeks.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I know you didn't say it, but you repeated it.  It hurt me just to copy and paste.  :)

For me, it's better to quote Sir Alfred Lord Tennyson:  "It's better to have been ranked and lost, than never to have been ranked at all."

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

When all was said and done we were #4 in the conference and took a beating in our bowl game.  The end result is what is important.  When anybody looks through the annals of College Football they will see we ended up in the middle of the BE pack and around the mid 30's in the nation.  There were no awards given for either last time I checked.

When all was said and done we were #4 in the conference and took a beating in our bowl game.  The end result is what is important.  When anybody looks through the annals of College Football they will see we ended up in the middle of the BE pack and around the mid 30's in the nation.  There were no awards given for either last time I checked.

Realism!

I love it! 

Such a rare personality trait amongst Bulls fans.

;)

Archived