• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Bearcat Beat

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  526
  • Days Won:  0

Bearcats' Mike Mickens Named Playboy Preseason All-American

Dayton native is third UC football player to receive prestigious accolade

1336101.jpeg

May 14, 2008

CINCINNATI - Senior all-BIG EAST cornerback Mike Mickens (Huber Heights, OH/Wayne) was selected as a member of the prestigious 52nd Annual Playboy Magazine All-America preseason team this past weekend at its All-American Weekend at the Hilton Pointe Resort at Tapatio Cliffs in Phoenix, Ariz.

"Being selected as an all-American means a great deal to me," said Mickens. "It shows that all of the hard work and dedication me and my teammates have put in the last three years has paid off. Without the other guys around me I could not had achieved this honor."

Mickens, a 2007 Football Writers Association All-American, helped the Bearcats to a school-record 10-wins and a victory in the Papajohns.com Bowl. Mickens finished 2007 tied for third in the BIG EAST and 18th in the country with 12 passes defended (6 interceptions, 6 pass breakups) and is currently fourth in Cincinnati history with 10 career interceptions. The three-year starter returned two pickoffs for touchdowns last year, including a 79-yard dash at USF. Mickens captured first-team all-BIG EAST honors for his efforts in 2007 after two years as a second-team all-league member.

"Mike is a player that we look to as a leader on our football team," said head coach Brian Kelly. "When the players look around the field, Mike sets an example of what it takes to be a champion. That was something that was contagious around our locker room last year and helped us realize our full potential and a No. 17 national ranking."

Mickens is the third UC football player to earn Playboy Preseason accolades. Linebacker Clarence Sanders was selected in 1975 and kicker Jonathan Ruffin earned the honor in 2001.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

That Panda story is a bold faced LIE.

This is a real bear cat

300_bearcat1.jpg

Now you see why they rather be associated with pandas.

• Content Count:  526

This is a real bear cat

300_bearcat1.jpg

Well I wouldn't call them bald face liars.  Lets dissect the quote from the UC atletic dept.

"The word first appeared in print circa 1889 as a synonym for the giant panda. "Bearcat" is a simple translation of the Chinese word for panda-xiong mao-which means "bear-cat". By 1895, naturalist H.N. Ridley reported that the binturong-a large cat from Malaysia-was known as the "bear-cat". There is a binturong at the Cincinnati Zoo which frequents UC games."

So the term "bearcat " was printed 1889 as a synonym for giant panda however in 1895 someone reported that a binturong(which is the name for the animal in the picture that you've graciously provided)was known as a bear cat.  So I don't see it as a lie so much as trying to explain its possible meaning.  I just think they really don't even know for themselves what it means. 

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

i think the cincy uni's look a little Arena Football-ish but i like them. the new hawaii unis look good too. they went UA also

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

This is a real bear cat

300_bearcat1.jpg

I pride myself on being a pretty masculine guy.  I'll pick up a snake with a rake and drag him/her away from my house or kids play area.  I'll also drunkenly attempt to interact with the alligators I encounter on a golf course.

However,  if I saw that ugly thing in the picture hanging on a tree in my backyard while taking out the trash one night, I would brown my shorts and scream like a little girl for my daddy.  That thing is freaking unsettling.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

This is a real bear cat

300_bearcat1.jpg

Looks more like a bear-raccoon, but I suppose people might take offense to the term bear-coon.

• Content Count:  1,911

Maybe it's just me, but those scratches on their new pants look like ass wings.

• Content Count:  73

UC Football Season Ticket Sales Exceed All-Time Record

Season ticket numbers exceed last year's total with over three months before opening kickoff

May 19, 2008

CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati Department of Athletics announced today that it has set an all-time record for football season tickets sold, totaling 9,426 with 102 days remaining before the season opener on Thursday, Aug. 28.

The total of 9,426 passes the previous high of 9,155 set in 2002 when fans were required to purchase football season ticket packages to receive UC basketball season tickets. In the two seasons since the department removed the requirement, season ticket sales have climbed 45 percent from 6,495 in 2006 to its current level.

Starting next week, UC's Fan Development Team will be hitting the streets and making phone calls to local businesses asking them to join the growing number of people supporting the town's lone NCAA Division-I Bowl Championship Series school as it looks to improve its 10-3 performance from last season. Led by 2007 BIG EAST Coach of the Year Brian Kelly, the Bearcats went on to win the Papajohns.com Bowl over Southern Mississippi, 31-21, and finish the year No. 17 in the final Associated Press Poll.

Cincinnati opens the 2008 season on Thursday, Aug. 28 in the first of six home games at Nippert Stadium. After welcoming Eastern Kentucky in for the opener, the Bearcats host Miami (OH), Rutgers, USF, Pittsburgh (Ring of Red Game), and Syracuse as they look to battle for their first BIG EAST Conference championship and a berth in a BCS Bowl game.

For more information on how to become a Bearcat football season ticket holder, please visit CATSTIX.com or call 1-877-CATS-TIX.

• Content Count:  12,293

well atleast we are smoking them in season ticket sales.

funny how they had more people attend their spring game then own season tickets.

• Content Count:  73

That is very funny but this isnt including around 5,000 corprate sales,groups, and we have tons of walkup tickets

Archived