• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone else noticed things really went down hill (even more) for UCF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  0

Other than Bulldad's text based diarrhea(1), I have to agree with the Bull fans.  A minor infraction may be worse to the NCAA, but to society, what Bergman did, if indeed true, is far worse.

And Sanjay, the Romans were into that stuff.  That's post Moses. ;)

1.  I call it diarrhea because of how each school handled it.  UCF dropped the axe on Bergman, which means they had to have investigated and found it to be grounds for termination or risk a legit wrongful termination suit.  USF openly said they would not investigate Moffett's situation, which involved an act that did not potentially injure someone directly(I do not call academic integrity injuring someone).  We don't want to think the USF brass as liars, so it should be safe to say that they did not choose to investigate, despite me thinking they should have.  This is an apple to orange comparison.

/objective view

Okay, now that I have taken several deep breaths I think I can respond.  I am not here to get into a fight with you or anybody else about which is worse.  You might want to reread what I said as I was not comparing the two actions themselves, but the REACTION of the UCF fans.  When Ben's wife came out with unsubstantiated statements, the UCF fans were very quick to jump on it as FACT.  Now there is a story about UCF that is as well unsubstantiated and all they can do is whine about the Sentienal and the hack job of a story.  Now I don't know if either is true, but what I was commenting on was the fans reaction, and if you can't see the comparison, too bad.

Now as they say in a different thread, you seem to be an okay guy (for a UCFer  :)), but I hardly think that your view can be termed objective.  Of course neither can mine, but that is okay.

Peace.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,239

Other than Bulldad's text based diarrhea(1), I have to agree with the Bull fans.  A minor infraction may be worse to the NCAA, but to society, what Bergman did, if indeed true, is far worse.

And Sanjay, the Romans were into that stuff.  That's post Moses. ;)

1.  I call it diarrhea because of how each school handled it.  UCF dropped the axe on Bergman, which means they had to have investigated and found it to be grounds for termination or risk a legit wrongful termination suit.  USF openly said they would not investigate Moffett's situation, which involved an act that did not potentially injure someone directly(I do not call academic integrity injuring someone).  We don't want to think the USF brass as liars, so it should be safe to say that they did not choose to investigate, despite me thinking they should have.  This is an apple to orange comparison.

/objective view

Okay, now that I have taken several deep breaths I think I can respond.  I am not here to get into a fight with you or anybody else about which is worse.  You might want to reread what I said as I was not comparing the two actions themselves, but the REACTION of the UCF fans.  When Ben's wife came out with unsubstantiated statements, the UCF fans were very quick to jump on it as FACT.  Now there is a story about UCF that is as well unsubstantiated and all they can do is whine about the Sentienal and the hack job of a story.  Now I don't know if either is true, but what I was commenting on was the fans reaction, and if you can't see the comparison, too bad.

Now as they say in a different thread, you seem to be an okay guy (for a UCFer  :)), but I hardly think that your view can be termed objective.  Of course neither can mine, but that is okay.

Peace.

One flaw with your argument:  UCF investigated, USF did not.  That was the problem.  If USF investigated the Moffett incident and it came back as merely a spurned wife, then so be it.  However, they said off the bat that they weren't going to look into it.  Many took issue with that(myself included).  I don't think anything would come from an investigation, but it would satisfy the curiosity that it was possible that there was a lack of academic integrity.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

As far as I can tell, USF said they weren't going to investigate BUT if any professor came forward with suspicion that Moffitt was cheating, they'd investiate.

None did (that we know of)*

You can't compare this with the Bergman situation.  One was a physical violation of another person bordering on a hate crime.  There needs to be an investigation of that, period, end of story.

The other was hearsay from a spurned wife who claimed she "wrote every paper in five years" while at work for Sumter County yet was only docked ten hours of pay.  I don't know about you, but it took me a hell of a lot longer than ten hours to write every paper in my undergraduate studies.  Obviously, while she may have helped Ben out, she didn't do "all" his work and he had to take and pass his test himself in person.

* Regardless, if Ben's English professor came forward tomorrow and claimed that he had suspicion, we'd never know about it, since student privacy laws prohibit that from being public.  Bergman's story, as a public employee, was and is fair game.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

As far as I can tell, USF said they weren't going to investigate BUT if any professor came forward with suspicion that Moffitt was cheating, they'd investiate.

None did (that we know of)*

You can't compare this with the Bergman situation.  One was a physical violation of another person bordering on a hate crime.  There needs to be an investigation of that, period, end of story.

The other was hearsay from a spurned wife who claimed she "wrote every paper in five years" while at work for Sumter County yet was only docked ten hours of pay.  I don't know about you, but it took me a hell of a lot longer than ten hours to write every paper in my undergraduate studies.  Obviously, while she may have helped Ben out, she didn't do "all" his work and he had to take and pass his test himself in person.

* Regardless, if Ben's English professor came forward tomorrow and claimed that he had suspicion, we'd never know about it, since student privacy laws prohibit that from being public.  Bergman's story, as a public employee, was and is fair game.

No offense to you, DP (because like as stated before, you are a level-headed UCFer), but this is exactly the case and most UCF forum people don't want to understand this.  Only a dumped and pissed off wife and her sister (umm, bias?) accused Moffitt of anything.  Do you realize what would happen if USF (or UCF for that matter) investigated every time someone accused another person of cheating with no solid proof and no backup?

I think the real reason that USF didn't investigate is because they were calling Shamu Moffitt's bluff.  If she had come forward with more proof and people other than her own family to back up her story, I am 100% certain that USF would investigate and go from there.  I also think that Shamu's wife's job only docked her pay to cover their butts.  If something came out later and they didn't act right away, then by being a county office they would have much egg on their face.

"Don't tase me bro!  I mean, don't 'Bergman' me bro!"

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

I think the real reason that USF didn't investigate is because they were calling Shamu Moffitt's bluff.  If she had come forward with more proof and people other than her own family to back up her story, I am 100% certain that USF would investigate and go from there. I also think that Shamu's wife's job only docked her pay to cover their butts.  If something came out later and they didn't act right away, then by being a county office they would have much egg on their face.

Actually, her county employer seems to be the ONLY organization that DID investigate this matter...and they found PROOF that she did HIS WORK on COMPANY TIME...and docked her pay as so.

There is a very good reason why USF finally implemented new academic procedures for their Football Team this past fall (prior to this case...mostly for admissions)...as the School Administration obviously wanted to take control of some of the academic reigns of the football team.

Bottom line...don't knock the organization (her employer) who seems to be the ONLY one that DID investigate this matter.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Bottom line...don't knock the organization (her employer) who seems to be the ONLY one that DID investigate this matter.

Either that, or they HAD to dock her since the taxpayers would be BS if she said she worked on his schoolwork on company time in a public forum.

Either way, they docked her 10 hours.  Hardly supports her "I did every paper of his in five years" claim.

K_L... you make it sound like EVERY class Ben took was taught by a USF Athletics staffer.  A very, very small number of classes were taught that way, hardly enough to route an Education major through 100% to graduation.  And again, Ben's professors in that course track found no reason to initiate an investigation based on his attendance and performance in the class.

I'd worry about your own school... you know, the coach abuse allegations, the coach bat-raping allegations, the violent tendencies of your players and former players, and the illegal or shady funding of virtually every project and salary in athletics in the past 5 years.

• Content Count:  2,239

We learned about shady money managing tactics from our geographically challenged siblings to the West.  At least the federal government didn't knock on our door.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

I think the real reason that USF didn't investigate is because they were calling Shamu Moffitt's bluff.  If she had come forward with more proof and people other than her own family to back up her story, I am 100% certain that USF would investigate and go from there. I also think that Shamu's wife's job only docked her pay to cover their butts.  If something came out later and they didn't act right away, then by being a county office they would have much egg on their face.

Actually, her county employer seems to be the ONLY organization that DID investigate this matter...and they found PROOF that she did HIS WORK on COMPANY TIME...and docked her pay as so.

As _EI and crambone pointed out, they investigated because they HAD to. I'm sure there's a watchdog group in that county, like there are in most counties, that just eats crap like this up. I'd be interested to see how they came up with the 10 hours ...

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

As _EI and crambone pointed out, they investigated because they HAD to. I'm sure there's a watchdog group in that county, like there are in most counties, that just eats crap like this up. I'd be interested to see how they came up with the 10 hours ...

They found 2 or 3 papers, thought about how long it takes someone to write that many papers, and went from there.

I seriously doubt that if the county had found proof that she did EVERY one of his papers that they would only have docked 10 hours.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

They found 2 or 3 papers, thought about how long it takes someone to write that many papers, and went from there.

I seriously doubt that if the county had found proof that she did EVERY one of his papers that they would only have docked 10 hours.

She must be a slow typer if it took her 10 hours to type 2 or 3 papers .....depending on how long the three papers were.

Archived