• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

will west virginia

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

miss rodriguez?

will it show in their performance of field?

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Their fans are in a bit of denial right now and coach Stewart is selling them a bill of goods promising unnecessary offensive changes that address the concerns of a minority of their fans that obsess over the way they lost their two games (they think they were too predictable offensively).

The fans think that the fact they are going to run a little less, throw a lot less screens and pass down field a little more are strategy adjustments that only improve offensive production and introduce no new risks. . . . didn't know White was a pro-style QB with a cannon arm.

They also think the fact they are going to employ motion (WOW . . . motion) before plays is the remedy to prevent Pitt and USF from lining up in a simple formation and stuffing their offense.  At this point in their Stewart love-fest, it is inconceivable to them that defenses might start giving them "fake looks".

IMO, they are abandoning their bread and butter and the results will show:

2008:  8-4

2009:  8-4

2010:  7-5  (this is where the coach who never even interviewed for the job gets the boot)

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

You don't replace a guy that rebuilt their program to where it is with a career assistant for half the price and expect similar results. Plus they lost 7 starters on D and 4 on offense.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

WVU has the talent to win, but I think their coaches' collective lack of experience will be their downfall.

They are drinking the coal-flavored Kool-Aid in WVU.

• Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

dont really know where the koolaid drinking comments is coming from.

i think most fans are kinda in a wait and see mode right now.  you cant just focus on the head coach position, they have assembled an incredible coaching staff and there is a lot of optimism, but i dont think people really know what to expect just yet.  dont really know where you're getting the "lack of experience" from.  there is plenty of experience on the staff.

doc holliday is basically the heir apparent (and was one of those interviewed for the HC position) - my personal belief is there is some sort of unspoken deal is in place that Stewart was a temp fix with the general knowledge he wont be in charge long, and holliday will take over once he leaves.  stewart has the respect and support of the current team and will provide a certain level of stability during the transition from rodriguez.

back to the original question, will rodriguez be missed?  in some ways yes, in some ways no.  i personally thought he was a pompous ass, but he was OUR pompous ass so i typically did not bad mouth him, other than his stupid stubbornness and inability to adapt the game plan once it was blatantly evident it wasnt working.  in the end, i guess i wish he coulda learned some humility and balanced it into his coaching style.  but the person he is right now, no i will not miss him.  i was personally embarassed over the cockiness last year in tampa, and was hoping he took something positive away from it but i dont think he did.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

they did shock the world by handling OU easily in  bowl game

• Content Count:  20

from a WVU fan's perspective....

No, he will not be missed. SoFlaEer said it well. Although we spent half as much money on the head coach, the coaching staff as a whole is making more than RR's staff did. Doc (associate head coach & recruiting coor.) is making like $400K. Chris Beaty (RB/Slot WR) is snagging up recruits in a way that WVU has not seen before. Already have 7 verbals for 2009 which include Scout.com's #11 QB Tajh boyd, #1 WR Logan Heastie, and several other good prospects. There is plenty of coaching experience on this staff. Some of the staff has returned that was there in the late 80's when they were National Title contenders. Our biggest loss and question about our coaching staff is in the Strength and Conditioning department. Barwis (sp?) was one of the best in the business and we can only hope our players are as prepared as he had them.

The offensive change is necessary. We did not stretch the field at all. It really won't change too much I don't think. Just "tweaked" a bit with some passing so teams can't stack the box as much... and Pat won't e carring the ball 20+ times anymore. We need him healthy for the whole season. (No, I'm not making excuses - you guys were the better team that night and beat us fair and square)

The big question is do we have the WRs to make the passing game successful. We have some outstanding recruits and a transfer coming, but not until 2009. Our 3rd string QB Bradley Starks is looking to be the most promising WR during the spring.

We are very excited about the future and direction that WVU football is headed.

• Content Count:  4,642

i'm not sure that he'll be missed.  even if people wish he was the coach, he won't be missed b/c of how he left, IMO.

now, if for some odd reason the program goes into the crapper (less than 10 wins) then i'm sure the fans will be screaming for someone's head.

• Content Count:  260

i'm not sure that he'll be missed.  even if people wish he was the coach, he won't be missed b/c of how he left, IMO.

now, if for some odd reason the program goes into the crapper (less than 10 wins) then i'm sure the fans will be screaming for someone's head.

with the returning talent we have this year, i would agree with you.

Archived