• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas Bowl dropped from Big East Lineup

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

Heres the problem guys, how many times do 9 SEC teams have a good enough record to make bowls anyway?

The SEC failing to provide a team is still a tremendous improvement over an obligation to play a C-USA also-ran. Last year, Cincinnati would have gotten to play South Carolina, which even at 6-6 is a far better opponent than Southern Miss. Ignoring that, the bowl could have chosen an at-large team. They'd have had to take Troy, but they'd have been an adequate opponent. The rules might force the game to take a second-place Sun Belt or MAC team, but how much worse is that than a seventh-place C-USA team? Personally I think it is a good risk.

If not for Florida Atlantic's upset over Troy, the second best Sun Belt team would have been Florida Atlantic a team destroyed by Kentucky, and Oklahoma State and the USF game would have just been written off as a game that FAU got up to play because it was against their former high school teammates and Minnesota was a joke last year. I don't think thats any better than Southern Miss, or the second best MAC team? Well that would have been Bowling Green who did great against Tulsa in their bowl, only lost by 55. At least they kept it within 60 though. Guess what conference Tulsa is from? Oh yeah, the CUSA.

You guys are acting like this is some huge step, it isn't. We get the privilege of facing 6-6 South Carolina, except that we actually don't because I believe the rule is that teams have to be 7-5. So instead we would get like you said the second best Sun Belt or MAC team unless 9 SEC teams go 7-5 or better or every 7-5 team has already been selected which would then open up the 6-6 teams and allow us to face 6-6 South Carolina which still is a horrible opponent.

We need to strive for BCS bowls, not worry about who the fourth team in the conference is going to play in their bowl. Especially when the only improvement is we're not facing C-USA which I understand, is a hated conference on here but the reality is that they are better than the Sun Belt, MAC, and WAC and the chances of 9 SEC teams going 7-5 or better isn't that high.

But go ahead and celebrate, I would hate to spoil the party. I could also talk about how playing a bowl in a stadium that will be turned into an apartment complex in a few years is counterproductive as well but most of you guys are low on that bowl already.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

6-6 can go bowling.  One of those can be against 1AA.  So you can expect an SEC team in the PJC bowl about half the time.

As for the BCS, I didn't see anyone here hoping against the BCS bid.  Reality is that the conference needs as many good tie-ins as possible.  It's the offseason, what else is there to talk about?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

We need to strive for BCS bowls, not worry about who the fourth team in the conference is going to play in their bowl.

You can do both ..... well, maybe not YOU specifically, but someone who can multi-task.

Especially when the only improvement is we're not facing C-USA which I understand, is a hated conference on here but the reality is that they are better than the Sun Belt, MAC, and WAC

They're better than the MAC, They're NOT better than the WAC and it's a toss-up between them and the Sun Belt ...

Archived