• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BCS officials reject playoff proposal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

nothing will happen until tv people($$$$$$$$) tell colleges what to do

• Content Count:  526
  • Days Won:  0

BTW, why does Notre Dame get their own say.  They aint crap and haven't been in years....

I know most people hate ND for various reasons but I do not.  They are the LA Lakers of our sport (I'm a Knicks fan).  They get the most coverage and they get the most money.  NCAAFB is much better with a good to great ND.  They have an enormous following that spans all over the 50 states and deserve the special treatment they get.  The last few years they have made bad decisions (hiring O'Liar and such) and have sucked ass but I'm old enough to remember (turning 30 this year!) that ND was as feared of a program as their was in the country.  Today they still pull in great recruits regardless of their recent history.  If I were a  ND basher I would chill out cuz someday they will make you look stupid.  Sooner rather than later.

GO BULLS!!

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Of course the BCS officials have rejected a playoff proposal, it would be a threat to their monopolistic control of the millions of dollars that I-A football creates every post-season.  Does anyone really think these guys are going to willingly give up control of the money simply because that would be the right thing to do?

• Content Count:  866

There's only two ways to stop this... Congressional intervention or Myles Brand (NCAA President) steps in and pulls an NIT.  The NIT was originally the more prestigious post-season tournament, but then the NCAA required member schools to accept a bid to their basketball tournament if offered.  The "Al McGuire Rule" was put in (after he voluntarily took Marquette to the NIT, and won it, over the NCAA because he wasn't happy with his seeding), and now we have the greatest spectacle in American sports for three weekends every March and April.  God forbid we try that with a sport that's immensely more popular...

But Brand would get killed for it by the same Presidents and AD's who advocate for the current system.  You can blame this on the Pac 10, Big 10, the Rose Bowl officials... but in reality, it's every college president and AD (including our own) who's complicit by continuing to work within the current system.  Machen at UF stuck his neck out there and got beat back.  So did the President at Tulane.  They're the heroes in this, and they deserved more support. 

More money for scholarships, more fans, more happy players; less indecision, less ridicule.  So the bowl system as we know it dies, and we don't get to go to places like Birmingham and El Paso every year.  So what?  Just think how much more special it will be when you do get to go... like anyone on this board would EVER miss seeing a playoff game from the stands?? 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

BTW, why does Notre Dame get their own say.  They aint crap and haven't been in years....

Because ND has $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and when you have money, you get what you want.

The catholic church is probably the largest corporation in the world (including Wal-Mart.)

• Content Count:  3,827

I know most people hate ND for various reasons but I do not.  They are the LA Lakers of our sport (I'm a Knicks fan).  They get the most coverage and they get the most money.  NCAAFB is much better with a good to great ND.  They have an enormous following that spans all over the 50 states and deserve the special treatment they get.  The last few years they have made bad decisions (hiring O'Liar and such) and have sucked ass but I'm old enough to remember (turning 30 this year!) that ND was as feared of a program as their was in the country.  Today they still pull in great recruits regardless of their recent history.  If I were a  ND basher I would chill out cuz someday they will make you look stupid.  Sooner rather than later.

GO BULLS!!

"deserve the special treatment".....?!

TELL ME you're not serious.

This is sports, is it not? If we went by your logic, then why do we even watch football on saturdays?

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The 6 BCS conferences get the vast majority of the money generated by college football.  An NCAA playoff may generate a lot more money, but this would end up at the NCAA and much more evenly distributed not the BCS conferences.  To be fair the BCS conferences generate the bulk of the money also.  The problem is that there is no way to build a program outside the BCS and have it built for the longhaul, absent a conference shake-up which happened to us.

Archived