• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McKenzie vs Selvie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

as much as I like Selvie as a player-- I would be pretty surprised if he was able to repeat last years accomplishments this coming season. Maybe he can-- but it is pretty tough as a known commodity.

I agree that his numbers may go down.  But only since he will be the focus of every team's gameplan and warrant double teams on every play.  Thanks to him, we should get a lot more sacks from others on defense.

It is very possible for Selvie to improve this year while his numbers actually go down.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Regarding Selvie, here is info on Mario Williams and Julius Peppers (two DE's who were recently taken at the top of the draft).  IMO, these are helpful in projecting George's draft positioning:

Combine performances:

Mario Williams: 6'7", 294 lbs, 40 time: 4.73 / Bench: 35 times / Vertical: 40 1/2 inches

Julius Peppers: 6'6", 282 lbs, 40 time: 4.74 / Bench: 24 times / Vertical: 36 1/2 inches

Career numbers (each played three years):

Mario Williams: 126 solo tackles / 25 1/2 sacks / 55 1/2 tackles for loss

Julius Peppers: 128 solo tackles / 30 1/2 sacks / 53 tackles for loss

Junior Year Stats:

Mario Williams: 62 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 blocked kick, 1 safety, 4 fumble recoveries, 27.5 tackles for loss

Julius Peppers: 63 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble and 3 interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown.

Please know that the worst kept secret in Carolina is that Peppers is a roid head and cheater.  He was suspended once for performance enhancers and completely fell off the face of the earth last year (2.5 sacks in 14 games) after some roid-dealing doctor in Columbia, SC got shut down that had a bunch of Panthers in his patient files.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

we have to wait to see how much weight selvie puts on

• Content Count:  849

Regarding Selvie, here is info on Mario Williams and Julius Peppers (two DE's who were recently taken at the top of the draft).  IMO, these are helpful in projecting George's draft positioning:

Combine performances:

Mario Williams: 6'7", 294 lbs, 40 time: 4.73 / Bench: 35 times / Vertical: 40 1/2 inches

Julius Peppers: 6'6", 282 lbs, 40 time: 4.74 / Bench: 24 times / Vertical: 36 1/2 inches

Career numbers (each played three years):

Mario Williams: 126 solo tackles / 25 1/2 sacks / 55 1/2 tackles for loss

Julius Peppers: 128 solo tackles / 30 1/2 sacks / 53 tackles for loss

Junior Year Stats:

Mario Williams: 62 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 blocked kick, 1 safety, 4 fumble recoveries, 27.5 tackles for loss

Julius Peppers: 63 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble and 3 interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown.

Please know that the worst kept secret in Carolina is that Peppers is a roid head and cheater.  He was suspended once for performance enhancers and completely fell off the face of the earth last year (2.5 sacks in 14 games) after some roid-dealing doctor in Columbia, SC got shut down that had a bunch of Panthers in his patient files.

Mario Williams ran a 4.66 at the combine, Sorry I had to correct you because I remember exactly the day I heard that he did that.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/mario_williams.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=alipour_sam&id=3242617

With that said, Selvie is most likely going to be used as an edge rusher (OLB) in a 3-4 system. He could play DE in a Cover-2 but he would have to play LE not RE ala Robert Mathis for the Colts. Robert Mathis recorded 10.5 sacks in his second year weighing 235 lbs now he's about 245-250 lbs. Elvis Dumervil measured at 5'11 and 255 lbs at the combine and was considered too small to play DE but he still finished with 8.5 sacks his rookie year and 12.5 sacks his 2nd year.

Notable undersized DE's that made the transition Kamerion Wimberly, Demarcus Ware, Tedy Brushchi, Mike Vrabel, Joey Porter, Peter Boulware, Terrell Suggs (he did eventually switch back to DE)...the list goes on....

That's why I laugh at these threads because he doesn't need to gain weight to be dominant at the NFL level. He's up to 242 lbs right now and its conceivable that he could get to 250 lbs. I don't expect to see a drop off in his production this year either because he's about 10 lbs bigger than he was last year, Aaron Harris is 8-10 lbs heavier than he was last year and Sampson Genus (who has been impressive all spring) and Keith McKaskill are an upgrade over the oft-injured Richard Clebert and Woody George. Defensive line will be a strength for the team this year especially on the interior.

• Content Count:  3,827

I think my opinion is based less upon Selvie's stock falling, and more upon McKenzie's rising.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

selvie shold stay for senior year for his sake

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

these guys need to dominate their counterparts

• Content Count:  526

I think my opinion is based less upon Selvie's stock falling, and more upon McKenzie's rising.

It would have to be because Selvies stock isnt dropping at all. If anything, its in a holding pattern til the season starts.  On the other hand, T Macs stock is definetaly rising.  His stock has the better chance of improving.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

One draft site has Selvie #1 in 2010 draft.

TOP DEs FOR THE 2010 NFL DRAFT 

#1 George Selvie South Florida 

#2 Greg Middleton Indiana 

#3 Greg Hardy Mississippi 

#4 Maurice Evans Penn State 

#5 Ricky Sapp Clemson

http://condraft.com/rankings/position-ranks/index.html?position=de

They have McKenzie #4 in the 2009 draft as an OLB.

TOP OLBs FOR THE 2009 NFL DRAFT 

#1 Brian Cushing USC 

#2 Marcus Freeman Ohio State 

#3 Clint Sintim Virginia 

#4 Tyrone McKenzie South Florida 

http://condraft.com/rankings/position-ranks/index.html?position=olb

Archived