• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McKenzie vs Selvie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

Is it out of line for me to suggest that McKenzie may end up being drafted higher than Selvie? And if so, who will be the better pro?

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Its not out of the line, but, all depends on if he comes out and if McKenzie has a great season.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I think its a bit out of line.  DEs are tough to come by.  LBs seem to be a dime a dozen.  Check out all world LB Dan Conner of PSU, he was drafted on Day 2 if memory serves.  Selvie will be a very high pick if he has even a decent year this year. 

• Content Count:  4,738

I think its a bit out of line.  DEs are tough to come by.  LBs seem to be a dime a dozen.  Check out all world LB Dan Conner of PSU, he was drafted on Day 2 if memory serves.  Selvie will be a very high pick if he has even a decent year this year. 

joe hit it on the head.  teams will throw tons of picks and money at the DE position and hope to get the next great one.  LB's  are a dime a dozen in the draft.  It seems to be a position that doesn't beat up the body as much, therefore players seem to last a long time in the league

• Content Count:  3,827

My line of thinking is this: McKenzie is #1 in the nation in tackles the past 2 seasons, and by some accounts, may be better suited to play in the middle. Obviously, he hasn't done so in a game yet, but if he's better in the middle, how good can this guy really be?!

For perspective, let's compare his numbers to a projected '09 top 10 pick that everyone has heard of:

James Laurinaitis

07 - 121 Tackles 8.5 TFL 5 Sacks 2 INT

06 - 115 Tackles 8.5 TFL 4 Sacks 5 INT

Tyrone McKenzie

07 - 121 Tackles 7.5 TFL 1.5 Sacks 0 INT

06 - 129 Tackles 9.5 TFL 2 Sacks 1 INT

• Content Count:  260

I don't think it's out of line.  To me, McKenzie's size and abilities translate better to the NFL.  Unless Selvie gains at least 15-20 pounds, I can't see him leaving college after next season and being as successful in the NFL as some other people seem to think. 

I know Selvie is extremely quick and has a great first step, but he has a tendency to disappear in some games and dominant players should be able to make plays even if they're double teamed.  I think good tackles in the NFL will be able to handle him, especially with a chip from the TE.  I know they're saying he'll probably go to a 3-4 type of defense and play OLB, so we'll see.  I hope he continues to get better, but I don't think he's there yet.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think it is funny that people talk about Selvie dissappearing in certain games. I think what you fail to realize is that late in the season, teams completely game planned to stop Selvie. He was getting double teamed and a chip from a TE. The difference at the next level? Well, as much as we all love Clebert, he didn't get drafted, so, on the surface, the tackles are going to be better. Also, the DE on the other side is usually pretty good as well.

Let's just say the fins trade Taylor, and Selvie goes there. You have Matt Roth on the other side, he doesn't get a lot of credit, but he is pretty good. I only picked the dolphins because I know the situation, but I am sure most teams are the same.

So, yeah, Selvie got a little contained in a few games. Give him 20 more lbs, and a better team all around (with dominant LB's that can rush also), and he is still a beast at the next level.

I like the comparison someone made to Jason Taylor's size. What, 10-12lbs difference?

All that said, he has to keep working hard, and turning heads. One phenominal season isn't going to get him drafted in the first round, he has to prove that he can repeat the performance. I think he will, what, he has been playing DE for 3 years now? I think he will only get better as he gets more and more comfortable in the position.

I agree that Selvie has tons of talent, I just hope he hasn't reached his peak yet which I don't think he has.  He needs to put on some weight for the NFL though, 250 minimum to play DE.

Being great in college doesn't necessarily translate to the next level.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Selvie is 6'4"-6'5" and just finished his 3d year, with only his second on the D-line.  He is still learning the position.  Does he need to gain weight, I think so, but if he can do that and get stronger he will do just fine getting drafted.  His first step is very good, and he does not quit on plays. 

Archived