• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

JoeB, whatta ya know about Stephen Hunt?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF

Hunt Collects CBB/StatStud.com Award

TAMPA, Fla. – University of South Florida freshman designated hitter Stephen Hunt was selected as the April 29 College Baseball Blog and StatStud.com Player of the Week.

Hunt had a tremendous week at the plate where he went 12-21 with eight extra base hits. He missed barely missed hitting for the cycle twice last weekend by being a homer short on Saturday and a double short on Sunday. In five games, he batted .571 with an on base percentage of .609. He added 13 RBI while slugging 1.238. Hunt also scored 11 runs, struck out only once, drew a pair of walks and stole one base. 

In 23 games this season, Hunt is third on the team with a .333 batting average and 32 RBI. He has collected seven doubles, a pair of triples, and a trio of home runs to post a .600 slugging percentage. In BIG EAST games, Hunt is third in the league in RBI (20) and fourth in triples (2).

Hunt was also selected to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll this week, his first award of the season. 

Catch the Bulls in action this week as USF hosts UCF on Tuesday and Bethune-Cookman on Wednesday. Both games begin at 7 p.m. at Red McEwen Field.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I've been saying it for the past couple of weeks, he's turning into a player before our eyes.  We've been lacking a 4 and 5 hitter for the majority of the season.  Well, we might have found the 5 hitter for next year.  He's certainly on fire right now.  He missed hitting for the cyle on Saturday by not having a home run.  He missed the cycle on Sunday by a double.  Plus he's turned into our situational left handed pitcher at the end of the game when we need to get a lefty out.  He's got a great career ahead of him. 

The people going out to the baseball games know who he is thats for sure. 

• Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

Joe B:

I have been going out to the games all year and I am not sold on Hunt yet.  He has been on a hot streak lately (I think he has had 16 of his 25 hits since the Louisville series which means he has basically been hot for 3 weeks and didn't do much before that.  (1/3 of his hits on the season came against Nova)

I hope he can materialize  into a steady player because he could help tremendously in the power part of the lineup and also on the mound.

See u tonight at the park - I think the heckling could be pretty good tonight.

He's a Freshman who played sparilngly at the beginning of the year, so its no surprise 1/3rd of his hits were this past weekend.  He's finally coming into his own and getting a chance to DH on a regular basis so we'll see what happense the rest of the year.  Most of those extra base hits have been the result of working the pitch count in his favor.  Most young hitters don't have the plate discipline Hunt has shown recently.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I only got to see him against Rutgers.  In the performances that I saw, he was very impressive.  i was acvtually more impressed with him than I was of Sanford, but I am not judging anyone seeing them only a couple of times, but ti sure seems like he is going to be a good one for a while.

• Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  0

Well, I'm sold. He's got the best swing of anyone on the team. Just poetry. Looks good on the mound. It was a good day when he chose not to go to the pros right away.

Add a couple more hits versus the Tinmen of MickeyMouse U to Stephen's stats.  Kid can play.

Archived