• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Over-night that contract if?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

???

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Translation:

There was a recent article where the ND AD said he understands why Rutgers wouldn't sign a contrat with them if they couldn't play at their home stadium, but it only took him ten seconds to get someone else instead. Some people interpret that to mean that a school in addition to UConn is making a similar deal with them. Since ND wants to play in the east, Syracuse has been considered a possibilty. Other people speculate that maybe it's USF. Of course, it is very possible that the ND AD was talking about its series with UCONN, rather than an additional school.

Hey Tilden, you are lucky I speak fluent Brooklynese. LOL

In answer to your question, I don't think it is USF the ND AD was talking about. We already are playing them @ND in 2011. If they wanted to play us for example in Orlando they could have done that instead, but they didn't. We really don't have any openings to play ANY BCS teams left through 2013. So, any series with ND would have to be done after that date. Our scheduling philosophy is to play only two BCS out of conference teams each year. I don't think Leavitt wants to add any more BCS games, since that would put us at a distinct disadvantage every year.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

USF is the one-N.D.vs.USF

We are already scheduled with them.

I agree.  overnight the contract if.....they agree to a 3 game home and home series.  Our home games need to be played at Raymond James and not a neutral site.

I give credit to Rutgers.  A lot of people in CT and the surrounding area are not so happy with UCONN's giving in to Notre Dame.  Why play your home games 2 to 3 hours away from the campus.  That's an away game.

Here is the article, he apparently had in mind:

Schedule drama for ND

ERIC HANSEN

Tribune Staff Writer

SOUTH BEND -- It has all the makings of a soap opera -- minus the risqué dialogue.

Politicians, broken relationships, backroom whispers and plenty of innuendo.

Welcome to the world of Notre Dame football scheduling -- or at least how it might appear from the outside looking in.

ND athletic director Kevin White tried to bring a little clarity Friday to the recent waves of news coming from the East Coast. Notre Dame simply wants to keep its large fan base in mind when scheduling football games away from ND Stadium.

"In general, we want to play in those metropolitan -- particularly Eastern -- markets in large venues so that more of our fans can have access," White told The Tribune Friday. "It makes sense to us, because we've got a zillion fans out East."

It apparently didn't make complete sense, though, to Connecticut's state legislature and even less to some of the powers-that-be at Rutgers. Rutgers announced via prepared statement Friday, and White confirmed, that talks for a six-game home-and-home series with the Irish have fizzled.

The series was to kick off in 2010, with ND's home games at Notre Dame Stadium and Rutgers' home games at the new 82,500-seat pro stadium at the New Jersey Meadowlands. Rutgers' on-campus stadium will have a capacity of 55,000 when its $102 million renovation and expansion are complete in 2009. Its current capacity is 41,500.

"Rutgers entered into discussion about a possible long-term series with Notre Dame, but at the end of the day both schools could not agree about the site of the games," Rutgers AD Bob Mulcahy said. "We feel Rutgers' home games should be played on campus at Rutgers Stadium."

"We love Rutgers," White said. "We're really close to them. It doesn't make sense for them. It makes sense for others. So we just moved on. I think we had somebody else in 10 seconds."White declined to name the school until contracts are signed, but he did say it was another Big East school.

"We had an instant verbal, as they say in the business," he said. "A euphoric verbal."

Connecticut, meanwhile, had been negotiating a 10-game series with the Irish -- separate from the agreement that brings the Huskies to ND Stadium for a game on Nov. 21, 2009.

But that state's lawmakers got involved when they found out none of UConn's "home games" would be at the Huskies' 40,000-seat Rentschler Field. Gillette Stadium (capacity 68,756) in Foxborough, Mass., and sites in New York and New Jersey will be used instead of the on-campus site for games that will run in the time frame of 2011-2017.

The lawmakers agreed to the series, provided UConn play at least six other home games a season during the years the Huskies "host" Notre Dame. Huskies athletic director Jeff Hathaway said he would have not argued for a series of this sort with any other school but ND.

"These games will be a tremendous recruiting tool for our program, enhance our national television exposure and also increase our program's visibility by playing Notre Dame in two large metropolitan areas in which we have a significant alumni presence," UConn coach Randy Edsall was quoted as saying in an Associated Press story.

"I don't know the politics in Connecticut," White said, "but I know the people at the University of Connecticut are very excited about it."

White said Connecticut benefits financially by playing at the larger venues. So would have Rutgers.

"They don't want to give away the competitive advantage of playing in their home stadiums," he said, "and I understand that. I don't blame them. But we've got to do what makes sense for us. And at the end of the day, if someone's not willing to do that, we have plenty of people who want to."

Staff writer Eric Hansen:

ehansen@sbtinfo.com

(574) 235-6470

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080426/SPORTS13/804260405/1001/Sports

• Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

Wow...Notre Dame can lick my cojones!!!

**** Notre Dame!

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

In answer to your question, I don't think it is USF the ND AD was talking about. We already are playing them @ND in 2011. If they wanted to play us for example in Orlando they could have done that instead, but they didn't. We really don't have any openings to play ANY BCS teams left through 2013. So, any series with ND would have to be done after that date. Our scheduling philosophy is to play only two BCS out of conference teams each year. I don't think Leavitt wants to add any more BCS games, since that would put us at a distinct disadvantage every year.

It could very well be us that Kevin White was talking about. We've moved game with OOC opponents numerous times, so it wouldn't be that difficult to do that again. Philosophies can change if it meant that we'd get ND to play at RJS. You really think we'd bypass a chance for a packed RJS over playing a FAU/FIU, or a 1 AA opponent? Adding more BCS games does not put us at a distinct disadvantage. I've never bought into that arguement.

Provided that White was not speaking about UConn as the other team since they are playing, I'd think we'd be in a good postion. ND is already playing Pitt, UConn and Syracuse in the future. Rutgers is out. I would doubt they'd play Louisville or WVU since they are not near major ND alum markets. That leaves us with Cincinnati. While I could see the Bearcats playing downtown in the Bengals Stadium I don't see ND wanting to play there.

That bring us to USF. You mention Orlando. ND has not announced who they are playing there yet, so we'd be an option. If we play there once and then get a couple of games at RJS you make that deal.

It could very well be us that Kevin White was talking about. We've moved game with OOC opponents numerous times, so it wouldn't be that difficult to do that again. Philosophies can change if it meant that we'd get ND to play at RJS. You really think we'd bypass a chance for a packed RJS over playing a FAU/FIU, or a 1 AA opponent? Adding more BCS games does not put us at a distinct disadvantage. I've never bought into that arguement.

Provided that White was not speaking about UConn as the other team since they are playing, I'd think we'd be in a good postion. ND is already playing Pitt, UConn and Syracuse in the future. Rutgers is out. I would doubt they'd play Louisville or WVU since they are not near major ND alum markets. That leaves us with Cincinnati. While I could see the Bearcats playing downtown in the Bengals Stadium I don't see ND wanting to play there.

That bring us to USF. You mention Orlando. ND has not announced who they are playing there yet, so we'd be an option. If we play there once and then get a couple of games at RJS you make that deal.

Woolard previously told ND that we would play them anywhere in Florida.

We aren't an option any longer for the 2011 game in Orlando. I read who their opponent is, but I don't remember right now. I do know it was a non-Florida team. They also chose a non-Texas team to play them in Texas.

They use Florida and Texas ony as a neutral site for a game once in a while. They plan on playing other neutral games in various parts of the country.

ND is mainly seeking multiple games in the NY metroplitan area. That's how UConn ended up getting a series with them after RU refused. But, Uconn limited the number of games, so ND is probably looking for another Big East team to play them there for the remaining games.

Leavitt, doesn't want the OOC schedule to be more difficult than necessary. Right now we have a good enough future BCS OOC slate. There has to be a mix of OOC opponents from easy to hard, so as not to overtax our players heading into conference play.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Translation:

There was a recent article where the ND AD said he understands why Rutgers wouldn't sign a contrat with them if they couldn't play at their home stadium, but it only took him ten seconds to get someone else instead. Some people interpret that to mean that a school in addition to UConn is making a similar deal with them. Since ND wants to play in the east, Syracuse has been considered a possibilty. Other people speculate that maybe it's USF. Of course, it is very possible that the ND AD was talking about its series with UCONN, rather than an additional school.

Hey Tilden, you are lucky I speak fluent Brooklynese. LOL

What disadvantage would we be in by blowing away a 2-10 team like syracuse.  The only difference is that it'd be a 2-10 Notre Dam and people would be like look at how har a schedule they played.

Archived