• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

ESPN: Players to meet with UCF attorneys in death probe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I doubt O'Leary or any of the coaches did anything wrong, just some kids who dont realized coaches cant see the future.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

All I can say is wow. I feel horrible for the Ereck's family, for Moise, and everyone who loved this kid.

I remember what we went through with Keeley, I remember our feelings. I don't know that I followed all of the comments from our fans, but if you read the comments from UCF fans (on ESPN's web site), it is very sad. I am paraphrasing, but there were comments such as...

"I hope we have a good season, otherwise, call Terry Bowden"

"Have a good season UCF, make season tickets worth my while"

"UCF will be OK, it wasn't like we lost a star player or anything"

I have never really cared for UCF, and I was reading the comments to make sure no Bulls fans were being stupid on there, but now, I have no respect for that program. I don't know how on earth they can honestly talk bad about Jim Leavitt. The have allowed OLeary to turn them into a program that doesn't care about anything.

I don't know how your thoughts could be anywhere close to "gee, I hope the team plays well this year, I bought season tickets"

It is absolutely disgusting. And, I know, it wasn't all of their fans, there are bad fans in every group, yada yada yada...It's still sickening that anyone would have thoughts like that. Of all the talk, they were right there screaming about how they would rather build a program "the right way", if they were serious, then need to fire OLeary, change their culture, and try to build something around someone with a little integrity.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

wow man...this is going to get ugly.

Seriously though, there needs to be an independent team to do this.

Letting the mouse guard the cheese?

• Content Count:  2,239

I'd like to point out that there is a recent OS article that mentions that the funeral is being reimbursed based on the receipts being submitted, which is how it works.  This process started BEFORE the Slantinel did their piece with Plancher's father.  Also, the actual price of the funeral wasn't even half of what dad Plancher claimed it was.  The crooked journalism is becoming more and more apparent.  It would be nice for the truth to come out, but one has to wonder who is really telling the truth.  It's hard to take the OS as truth with all these holes left in their story.

liana Limon | Sentinel Staff Writer

10:29 PM EDT, April 24, 2008

UCF has begun interviewing football players as it continues to review the death of Ereck Plancher, four sources close to the football program told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday.

The Plancher family also has begun receiving payments from the university to cover the football player's funeral expenses.

Plancher collapsed during an off-season conditioning workout on the UCF campus and died March 18.

"We are continuing to evaluate the events surrounding Ereck's death, as we have from the beginning," UCF spokesman Grant Heston said Thursday.

Two UCF football players told the Sentinel that football staff members informed the players in a team setting that they had to meet individually with UCF attorneys, with many of the interviews scheduled to occur this week before players leave campus at the end of the spring semester. The players are taking final exams this week.

The players were granted anonymity because they said they fear retribution from football coaches.

Heston said the school had no comment about the interviews.

The interviews come after four UCF players told the Sentinel Plancher showed signs of distress during the workout before he collapsed and died. The players said the workout was far more intense than the university initially indicated and said UCF Coach George O'Leary cursed at Plancher for lack of effort after he struggled through mat drills. The coach has denied the allegations.

The UCF Athletic Association announced March 26 that athletic department officials followed all athletic association protocols outlined in the school's Catastrophic Incident Guidelines. UCF executive associate athletic director David Chambers said the athletic department completed its review of Plancher's death and any further queries into the case would be handled through the university.

UCF Associate Athletics Director Joe Hornstein said last month that UCF players who were present during Plancher's final workout were not interviewed by the crisis management team.

Enock Plancher, Ereck's father, said the family is still awaiting a final autopsy report before deciding if it will pursue a lawsuit against the university. A preliminary autopsy was inconclusive and further tests are being done. He said he has not hired an attorney.

The university promised to pay for all funeral expenses after Ereck Plancher's death. Enock Plancher told the Sentinel April 11 he had not been reimbursed by the university for funeral expenses. Heston said the school began processing the receipts on March 26.

"I did receive a check from them for part of the expenses," Plancher said Thursday. "They want us to send more receipts for the rest, and we are working on doing that."

The funeral and burial fees were $16,820, according to the receipts UCF has received. The father estimated that the total funeral expenses were $35,000.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Obviously, a devastating scenario.  And I can't imagine O'Leary intentionally pushing the kid to that point.  Most of what has been reported in the Slantinel is explotation.

That said, the odd thing about this situation to me was the players carrying Plancher "outside" to wait for the ambulance/EMT.  Who knows what happened, but I can't imagine a trainer with a defibrillator looking at a kid in cardiac arrest and asking the players to carry him outside.  You get the heart started first, getting him to the hospital is a distant second.  Combine that with some of the other discrepancies in the stories, and UCF certainly needs to understand what happened.  They are under a current and future risk if proper procedures aren't in place and being followed.  It could simply be people trying to do what they thought was right, but it seems the trainers and coaches should have at least handled things differently, whether or not it utimately would have made a difference.

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I have a sad feeling that all this is going to end up with ucIF paying a whole lot more than just funeral costs to the Plancher family...

• Content Count:  2,461

I have a sad feeling that all this is going to end up with ucIF paying a whole lot more than just funeral costs to the Plancher family...

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  6,924

orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-ucf2508apr25,0,6401618.story

OrlandoSentinel.com

UCF DEATH: THE AFTERMATH College Football

UCF attorneys begin interviews with players

The university is reviewing Ereck Plancher's final workout and has begun paying his funeral expenses.

Iliana Lim�n

Sentinel Staff Writer

April 25, 2008

UCF has begun interviewing football players as it continues to review the death of Ereck Plancher, four sources close to the football program told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday.

The Plancher family also has begun receiving payments from the university to cover the football player's funeral expenses.

Plancher collapsed during an offseason conditioning workout on the UCF campus and died March 18.

"We are continuing to evaluate the events surrounding Ereck's death, as we have from the beginning," UCF spokesman Grant Heston said Thursday.

Two UCF football players told the Sentinel that football staff members informed the players in a team setting that they had to meet individually with UCF attorneys, with many of the interviews scheduled to occur this week before players leave campus at the end of the spring semester. The players are taking final exams this week.

The players were granted anonymity because they said they fear retribution from football coaches.

Heston said the school had no comment about the interviews.

The interviews come after four UCF players told the Sentinel that Plancher showed signs of distress during the workout before he collapsed and died.

The players said the workout was far more intense than the university initially indicated and said UCF Coach George O'Leary cursed at Plancher for lack of effort after he struggled through mat drills. The coach has denied the allegations.

The UCF Athletic Association announced March 26 that athletic department officials followed all athletic association protocols outlined in the school's Catastrophic Incident Guidelines. UCF executive associate athletic director David Chambers said the athletic department completed its review of Plancher's death and any further queries into the case would be handled through the university.

UCF associate athletics director Joe Hornstein said UCF players present during Plancher's final workout were not interviewed by the crisis management team.

Enock Plancher, Ereck's father, said the family is still awaiting a final autopsy report before deciding if it will pursue a lawsuit against the university.

A preliminary autopsy was inconclusive and further tests are being done. He said he has not hired an attorney.

The university promised to pay for all funeral expenses after Ereck Plancher's death. Enock Plancher told the Sentinel on April 11 he had not been reimbursed by the university for funeral expenses. Heston said the school began processing the receipts on March 26.

"I did receive a check from them for part of the expenses," Plancher said Thursday. "They want us to send more receipts for the rest, and we are working on doing that."

The funeral and burial fees were $16,820, according to the receipts UCF has received. The father estimated that the total funeral expenses were $35,000.

Sentinel staff writer Kyle Hightower contributed to this report. Iliana Lim�n can be reached at ilimon@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright © 2008, Orlando Sentinel

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

The cleaner has been called in..

pulp.jpg

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Harvey Keitel?