• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN: Players to meet with UCF attorneys in death probe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry if this has already been posted, looked back and didn't see it... Haven't been here in a week or so.

Read it how you will, I don't mean any disrespect to his family and loved ones. Thought those on this board might be interested.

Report: Players to meet with UCF attorneys in death probe

ESPN.com news services

Updated: April 25, 2008, 11:47 AM ET

Central Florida is interviewing football players as it continues to review the death of wide receiver Ereck Plancher, sources close to the program told the Orlando Sentinel.

Two UCF football players -- whom the newspaper granted anonymity because they said they fear retribution from coaches -- said the players were informed by team staff that they had to meet individually with university attorneys, according to the report.

Several of the interviews are expected to be conducted this week, before the players leave campus. Many of the players have final exams this week, according to the report.

"We are continuing to evaluate the events surrounding Ereck's death, as we have from the beginning," UCF spokesman Grant Heston said Thursday. But he declined to comment on the player interviews, the newspaper reported.

The university has also begun reimbursing Plancher's family for funeral expenses, according to the report.

The player interviews follow a report in the Sentinel earlier this month, in which four UCF players said Plancher showed signs of distress during the workout before he collapsed and died.

The players also said the workout was more intense than the university initially indicated, and that coach George O'Leary cursed at Plancher for a lack of effort following the drills -- an allegation O'Leary denied, according to the Sentinel.

Plancher, 19, of Naples, Fla., collapsed and was taken to a hospital on March 18. He was pronounced dead a half-hour after the workout, known as a "mat drill."

In the Sentinel report earlier this month, the four players said the workout in UCF's indoor field house, which followed an hour-long weight training session, included multiple agility exercises lasting five minutes each, two runs on a 200-yard obstacle course and two sideline-to-sideline sprints. They said Plancher fell during the final sprint, as coaches yelled at him to finish the drill.

Enock Plancher, Ereck's father, said the family is still awaiting a final autopsy report before deciding if it will pursue a lawsuit against the university. A preliminary autopsy was inconclusive and additional tests are being done.

According to several of Plancher's relatives and friends and his high school coach in Naples, the wide receiver said in the spring of 2007 that he had collapsed during an earlier UCF workout.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

Get the popcorn ready. This is goona be real interesting.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

How about the fact that these players "have" to meet with university attorneys.

What a crock.

I always believed the schools within the NCAA treated players like slaves in the way players make essentially bupkiss while schools use their image and likeness to rake in dollars (i.e. putting a 20 yo kid's mug on billboards in downtown Tampa to sell tix while the 20 yo kid holds a summer job slinging drinks to keep money in his pocket).  But now I know players are nothing more than chattel entirely owned by the school they play for.

If I was an attorney in Orlando I would offer to appear with every player at their individual meeting pro bono . . . . but alas that would be a violation of the NCAA because I'd be giving them something of value.  Thus these kids (many of whom can't afford an atty) will go speak with another party's attorney unrepresented. . . . . f'in bull****.

• Content Count:  1,797

The real cover up begins.  Ever watch Scrubs?  If so, you know about 'Phil', the hospital's attorney.  His job is to protect the doctors and most of all the hospital from lawsuits.  So what do you think the university attorneys' goals will be in this setting?  Finding out the truth, or filling their role as protector of the university against potential lawsuits?

Unreal.  Why no independent inquiry?

Normal

• Content Count:  1,757

Again, the time for questionable activities that could imply a cover up are not the correct course of action here for their University.  There needs to be an INDEPENDENT investigation by the State Law Enforcement. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

Two UCF football players -- whom the newspaper granted anonymity because they said they fear retribution from coaches -- said the players were informed by team staff that they had to meet individually with university attorneys, according to the report.

I'm a little confused here. The players wanted anonymity because they feared retribution from coaches. How did the team staff find out who they were and who exactly are the "team staff"? If they're not coaches, are they sworn to secrecy or does this mean that the coaches do now know ..... and why only 2 of the 4? Lots of unanswered questions due to ****** journalism, IMO ...

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Again, the time for questionable activities that could imply a cover up are not the correct course of action here for their University.  There needs to be an INDEPENDENT investigation by the State Law Enforcement. 

I'm not an attorney, nor am I in law enforcement.  But it seems to me that there isn't any criminal activity here.  The players were not forced to participate at gunpoint.  The legal ramifications would be negligence on the part of the university, which makes it a civil matter.  Rarely are civil matters investigated or enforced from a police or DA perspective.

Guest pascobull

Unless it turns out to not be a heart issue or something like that this is all pointless. This kid was likely a ticking time bomb playing football.

What the NCAA needs to do is pay schools enough money to give every athlete the best testing they can to detect these issues before they happen and if any player has a defect he remains on scholarship but not the team. Too bad the NCAA really doesn't care.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,971
  • Days Won:  469

Unless it turns out to not be a heart issue or something like that this is all pointless.

It depends what they are investigating.  If they are simply looking for cause of death (which this will nto find), then you're likely right.  If they have any objectivity they'll also be looking at the allegations that GOL saw the kid in distress and did not act in a fiduciary manner.  Likewise they may also investigate the allegation the practice was first described one way and then another in terms of the level of intensity and the bearing that would have on NCAA rules.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I think the article is doing a bit of a hit-job on UCF to be honest.  IANAL but I would imagine it was a request of the students to speak with UCF's attorneys, not an order.  I would bet if the guy in the office next to me falls over dead today my companies attorneys will want to speak with me.  Not because they want to cover anything up, but because they want to fully understand what may have happened and what if any liability we have.  

A player died at football practice and it sounds like UCF lied about the length, type, and coaches present.  Unless there is something more, I don't see any need for an independent investigation and certainly not one by law enforcement.

Archived