• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UConn game will be on ESPN . . . on a Sunday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

The NCAA does not have "full rights" to Saturday -- just how would that agreement work?  Who would the other party be, the NFL?  I doubt that, the NCAA does not have much power to regulate such things.

In fact, the NCAA does not even control the football TV contracts, thanks to a 1980s Supreme Court decision.  The conferences control the TV contracts and the teams control stadium leases.  My guess is any kind of contract between the NCAA and the NFL (or someone else) would be just as unenforceable as the old NCAA television rules.

My take: if the NFL wants the Buccaneers to play in RayJay on a Saturday when USF has a road game, more than likely there is nothing the Big East, USF, or the NCAA can do about it.

The NFL is not allowed to telecast (therefore play) games on Fridays or Saturdays. If they schedule any games on those two days there antitrust immunity would be withdrawn.

In 1966, Congress amended the statutory exemption professional sports leagues enjoy when negotiating national television contracts. This amendment, codified in 15 U.S.C.  1293, withdraws antitrust immunity specifically from the NFL if it attempts to telecast a game on Fridays after 6 p.m. or anytime on Saturday from the second Friday in September until the second Saturday in December. 1293 applies to any NFL game telecast within 75 miles of any collegiate or high school football game played on the same date.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,642

makes it a little easier for travel since a lot of people will be off the week of thanksgiving anyways

• Content Count:  565

makes it a little easier for travel since a lot of people will be off the week of thanksgiving anyways

Except for students, who will be in classes until Wednesday of that week.  ;D

The NCAA does not have "full rights" to Saturday -- just how would that agreement work?  Who would the other party be, the NFL?  I doubt that, the NCAA does not have much power to regulate such things.

In fact, the NCAA does not even control the football TV contracts, thanks to a 1980s Supreme Court decision.  The conferences control the TV contracts and the teams control stadium leases.  My guess is any kind of contract between the NCAA and the NFL (or someone else) would be just as unenforceable as the old NCAA television rules.

My take: if the NFL wants the Buccaneers to play in RayJay on a Saturday when USF has a road game, more than likely there is nothing the Big East, USF, or the NCAA can do about it.

The NFL is not allowed to telecast (therefore play) games on Fridays or Saturdays. If they schedule any games on those two days there antitrust immunity would be withdrawn.

In 1966, Congress amended the statutory exemption professional sports leagues enjoy when negotiating national television contracts. This amendment, codified in 15 U.S.C.  1293, withdraws antitrust immunity specifically from the NFL if it attempts to telecast a game on Fridays after 6 p.m. or anytime on Saturday from the second Friday in September until the second Saturday in December. 1293 applies to any NFL game telecast within 75 miles of any collegiate or high school football game played on the same date.

Good find, Don Toro.  So it's not the NCAA that keeps the NFL off Fridays and Saturdays, but Federal law.

Interesting.

• Content Count:  6,928

personally.

Sunday College football SUCKS!

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Good find, Don Toro.  So it's not the NCAA that keeps the NFL off Fridays and Saturdays, but Federal law.

Interesting.

No sense interferring with their free farm system that develops players and creates stars big enough to make the NFL draft watchable.  No need to kill (or compete) with the goose that lays golden eggs.

• Content Count:  12,293

Ok by me.  One less chance of a game getting moved to a NOON kickoff.  

yep, id rather play sunday night then saturday at noon.

• Content Count:  760

Feels like we have no saturday night games at all. The sunday game I dont mind, but the games during the week put a hampering on pregame traditions. (Personal traditions of course, since we dont really have much university wide pregame traditions)

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Late in the season, I believe the NFL does play on Saturdays.

Archived