• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Verbal: WR Ishmeal Grant

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

He signed with us a couple of years ago, but failed to qualify.

Rivals lists him as a soft verbal.

http://usf.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=82422

I've also seen his first name spelled Ishmael

1194756626-1111awcfootballweb.jpg

Ishmael Grant runs past several Mesa Community College defenders after a reception to score a touchdown for AWC during the first half.

• Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

Good stuff Mama,

Anyone have any more info on this kid?  Looks like he has good size and speed.

Good stuff Mama,

Anyone have any more info on this kid?  Looks like he has good size and speed.

I know that Auburn was very high on him in HS and we were battling with them to sign him. Leavitt was very disappointed that he failed to qualify as he had done everything we had asked of him, but still couldn't become eligible.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Good to see guys we were on initially that liked us coming back to us after juco with regularity.

• Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

As a junior he had 18 receptions for 638 yards," Johns explains. "That was a 35-yard per catch average. He had six kickoff returns for touchdowns and he had two punt returns for touchdowns. He also had one rushing touchdown.

"This season he had 24 catches for 626 yards and 11 touchdowns," he continues. "That was a 26-yard per catch average. He had one rushing touchdown again and he had five kickoff returns for touchdowns and two punt returns for touchdowns." The Blountstown coach, whose team reached the class A state championship game in 2004, adds that Grant's statistics are even more impressive when put into the proper context.

"He is kind of an all-around athlete for us," Johns says. "He is a great kickoff and punt return guy for us, but nobody would kick to him this year after he had a great year last year. He only actually touched the ball 10 times this year and he returned five of them for touchdowns.

"Also, we are not a big passing team. I had a 1,600-yard rusher and a 1,000-yard rusher this year. I think we only attempted 116 passes in 15 games so we just don't throw it a lot. But, out of 1,154 yards passing he had 600 and something of it."

The coach also notes that Grant was never unhappy with his situation even though he did not see a whole lot of action on the field. "He is a guy that everybody double-covered all year long," Johns explains. "The only times he did draw single coverage we were able to really hurt people.

"People could not single-cover him. They had to double-cover him and that opened up our running game. He was very unselfish. He didn't get upset because he wasn't touching the ball more. He knew the best thing for our football team was for him to make opportunistic plays and catch the ball when we could get single coverage.

http://auburn.scout.com/2/343476.html

“I’m a go-to guy and I can make the big plays when they need it,†Grant says. “My senior year we went all to the state championship game and we just couldn’t pull it off. We lost by four points. We did good.â€Â

While he’s not playing football Grant stays in good condition running track, where he also excels.

“I’m staying in shape in the weight room and running track,†he says. “I run the 100 (meters) and 200 (meters). The fastest time I’ve gotten in the 100 was a 10.6 and the 200 was a 22.3. I got hurt in the semi-finals last year and I didn’t get to qualify for state. I could have won. I’m going to try again this year. I think I can win this year.â€Â

http://auburn.scout.com/2/345395.html

in 2007 at Arizona Western CC, Grant played in nine games and had 26 receptions for 376 yards and four touchdowns.

http://www.pc.maricopa.edu/athletics/ACCAC/football/2007/stats.html#indiv

Greg has it in his blog that he could be a late addition to THIS year's class.

April 21, 2008

Call him a Bull? Ishmeal Grant could be coming

I've told you guys how my cell only keeps 500 contacts, so I'm constantly having to purge old numbers to make room for new ones. One guy I haven't let myself lose track of is Ishmeal Grant, a receiver from Blountstown, Fla., who signed with USF in 2005 but failed to qualify academically. Every time I'd talk to Grant, he'd have a different setback to overcome -- he told me he was hit by a drunk driver in spring 2007 -- but one thing wouldn't change: how much he wanted to make it to USF.

It looks like Grant is going to get his wish, as JCgridiron.com, a juco recruiting site that's part of the Rivals.com network, is reporting that Grant has committed to USF as a late addition to the incoming recruiting class. I've traded text messages with Grant this morning and will be talking to him shortly, and can report that USF receivers coach Mike Canales will be visiting Grant at Arizona Western College this week.Grant always had a great mix of size and speed -- 6-foot-3, but quick enough to return eight kicks -- six kickoffs and two punts -- for touchdowns as a senior in 2004. As a junior he averaged 35.4 yards a catch. If I'm recalling his timeline correctly, Grant wasn't in school in 2005 and spent 2006 at Pearl River Community College in Mississippi, but didn't play. He's been at Arizona Western this past spring, and while AWC doesn't have complete stats on its site, just tallying up five games would give him 25 catches for 368 yards and four touchdowns.

So I wouldn't write it down as a done deal yet, but it's a promising development for USF with a familiar old name. And with all due respect to Melville, he spells his name "Ishmeal." Now if they can just find a linebacker named Queequeg ...

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

635368.jpg

by Brad Hoiseth

For one player at Yuma (AZ) Arizona Western College, his plans are all laid out in front of him as he was placed at AWC by a program that has recently rose to prominence in the Big East. He says he will return to his home state following the season as the talented sophomore wide receiver has already given his word.

http://jcgridiron.rivals.com/

• Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

Another Wr...I feel bad for them. That doesn't mean I won't take em lol. Welcome and I hope it comes through. Yet another option to return kicks and punts.

Archived