• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GOL Wikipedia Page

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

UCF people were in heaven when a local Tampa paper published unchecked and unproven allegations about a USF player (Ben Moffitt).  Funny how now how important sourcing a story can be.  That story was sourced and seems to have been ********. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Im still curious to why people on this website are still concerned with a school that is inferior to us?

This is a State of Florida Board.  it doesn't require a team to have any success.  There is also discussion on FAU, FIU and the rest of the Big Four from time to time.  We've played UCiF - there's a history there.  I guess we'll talk more about Miami in the near future and then Florida.

Until then, UCiF is an easy target.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

If FAU or FIU ever adopt a tainted coach with a sordid history, come on here and crow about themselves incessantly, then begin to crumble under the weight of a scandal, I'll pay them the same attention.  ;D

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

whoa, this thread went downhill fast!

• Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  0

UCF people were in heaven when a local Tampa paper published unchecked and unproven allegations about a USF player (Ben Moffitt).  Funny how now how important sourcing a story can be.  That story was sourced and seems to have been ********. 

And I was in complete agreement with those that defended Ben when he was called on the carpet.  But I also read from most on this board that his wife should be punished and deserved what she got.  At least she had the nerve to throw her name out in public, unlike the four players whom are throwing unfounded accusations at Coach O'Leary.

Eats it, or whatever your name is, you want to give credability to four players who will not step up as men.  In this country, you have a right to face your accuser, but in this case Coach O'Leary is not given that right.  In my mind, that makes all the claims baseless.  You say that he has a history of player abuse, what makes a history.  One player at Georgia Tech?  If you are calling abusing a player what Steven Moffet described, I have some bad news for you, then Coach Leavitt would fit that description before.  I have attended several USF practices and Coach Leavitt has no problem verbally motivating his players if you know what I mean.  I also think Coach Leavitt is a great coach, and most great coaches do the very same things as you are accusing Coach O'Leary of doing. 

This story does not have "legs" and I am willing to bet you that nothing comes of this.  I would even go so far as to say the Plancher family has no case to sue UCF based upon everything that has been released.  What we don't know so far is what did Coach O'Leary tell the Orlando Sentinel that they are not printing.  If anyone has a history of not expressing the truth, I would put the Orlando Sentinel up there as well.  They had an exclusing with Coach O'Leary, yet according to Coach O'Leary they chose not to print most of what he told them, why?  Why didn't they interview other players besides Steven Moffet?  A good reporter would have tried to confirm the four players stories by finding somone that would go on the record.  I could go on, but when one person is being accused of something by others that hide behind newspapers, websites and confidencial sources, I will always go with the person willing to go on the record. 

Also, if I remember correctly with Watergate, the Washington Post covered their ass and had actual proof of the coverup a ledger of secret slush funds for coverup, illegal breakin and wire taps.  Where is the cooberating proof to this story, as of now, it is four young men and nothing else.  I would hope that if you were accused of anything, that you would be given the same treatment of innocent until proven guilty. 

And I was in complete agreement with those that defended Ben when he was called on the carpet.  But I also read from most on this board that his wife should be punished and deserved what she got.  At least she had the nerve to throw her name out in public, unlike the four players whom are throwing unfounded accusations at Coach O'Leary.

She had to - it was obvious who his wife was.  And, of course, she had very little to lose when compared to scholarshipped student-athletes.  She accomplished her goal - stain Mr. Moffitt's reputation.  She has suffered no harm as a result - no lost job, no lost education, nothing save for a minor payroll adjustment.  Those players would certainly find themselves in a much more uncomfortable spot I would think.  But that is just speculation.

I think the only problem is the personna of O'Leary.  He sets himself up for this.  And when the OS reports that he and Tribble had to change stories, well, it does introduce a lack of credibility and a lot of intrigue into the situation.

To me it is sad that the death of this young man has nearly gotten lost in the ado about whether or not it was a legal practice.  That seemed very important at the outset.  UCF should have spent less time proclaiming the appropriateness of the practice and more time on the young man who lost his life.

• Content Count:  4,738

whoa, this thread went downhill fast!

:popcorn

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Tell me this, "Gridiron God"... since you sound so sure that the Orlando Sentinel is sitting on information that would help exonerate O'Leary, or at least shed more light on his side of things.

Why hasn't O'Leary or UCF sent out a press release with this mysterious "hidden" information?  When did the Orlando Sentinel become O'Leary's only mouthpiece for defending himself?  For a paper with such an agenda against UCF (cough cough) he sure isn't trying to right his reputation by releasing the "truth" about what happened independently.

It's funny that you're so quick to condemn four kids whose educations depend on their anonymity, but you're willing to give GOL a pass for the "super secret info" the OS is supposedly sitting on.

First O'Leary wasn't there... then he WAS there but he didn't notice Ereck... then he DID notice Ereck, but only asked him what he had for breakfast.  Then four players contradicted that story.  Gee, something smells rotten in the state of Denmark to me...

• Content Count:  98

She had to - it was obvious who his wife was.  And, of course, she had very little to lose when compared to scholarshipped student-athletes.  She accomplished her goal - stain Mr. Moffitt's reputation.  She has suffered no harm as a result - no lost job, no lost education, nothing save for a minor payroll adjustment.  Those players would certainly find themselves in a much more uncomfortable spot I would think.  But that is just speculation.

I think the only problem is the personna of O'Leary.  He sets himself up for this.  And when the OS reports that he and Tribble had to change stories, well, it does introduce a lack of credibility and a lot of intrigue into the situation.

To me it is sad that the death of this young man has nearly gotten lost in the ado about whether or not it was a legal practice.  That seemed very important at the outset.  UCF should have spent less time proclaiming the appropriateness of the practice and more time on the young man who lost his life.

Then why couldn't the Sentinel find ONE single senior to coorberate the evidence of how tough life is under Coach O'Leary.  And what does it say about the "four young men" that they are more concerned about hiding their identity than putting themselves on the record about a young mans death that somehow they saw coming but did nothing.  I can't even tell you what my two Marine son's would say about such manhood.  Why not find one player that was to transfer or one player that quit the team.  Don't fault the University for their practices of what happens in a young players death, it is not like there is a procedure for that.  I rememeber when it happend at USF last year, I remember when it happend to the FSU and UF player as well.  Each institution is a state entity and has to deal with things from the higher ups.  I would imagine that the staff is being told what to do and when to do it by someone well above their heads.

Archived