• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Has USF "Arrived"?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

I think a good indicator if we have arrived or not is to watch the college football shows and when they do the intro's with the highlights, or between segments or leading into or out of commercials, is one of the images USF.

By that measure, we are pretty much arrived. The last espn College football show i saw last week had a shot of Grothe pointing up at the Camera after the WVU game during a video collage.

This a good conversation. You make a good point. But I think we need to see how we are viewed nationwide. I think we're being looked at by a QB on the west coast. To me thats a big deal. But I say lets wait till after next season. When we have won the BE and Bowl game. Then the 09' season will be huge. We will be ranked top 10 or top 5 in the country coming in 09' season.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

Arrived where?  As a legitimate member of a BCS conference.  Yes.  As a winning Div. 1 program.  Yes.  These are BIG accomplishments for those of us old-timers in all things USF-athletics.

• Content Count:  118

I think our football program has "arrived."  But, I think that is just it.  There is much to be done to maintain consistancy throughout the season.

With that being said, I live outside Orlando and often go to the Disney parks.  I am seeing more of the USF gear being worn.  And, I am seeing incredible glares coming from people wearing West Virginia football gear.  (For some reason, my gear apparantly distracts them from the reason why they are there.)

Also, the day after we lost to Rutgers.  I was on a ride with a family decked out in Louisville gear.  He eyeballed me head to toe and we started laughing.  He apologized for our loss.  And, we both agreed USF will be the next Miami of the Big East Conference.  (Upon leaving the ride, I told them that when they get back home, they can tell their friends they came to EPCOT to ride a ride with a USF alum.  Again, they laughed.)

One last thing, again I live outside Orlando.  And, last year during our run, people from my work, my church, and even from the place that changes my vehicle's oil took notice of what our football team was doing.

So, when you ask if our football program has "arrived," I say yes it has.  But, I will add that is all it has done.  And, there is more to do.

• Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

If I had to define "arrived," I would say it means that USF is thought of as a regular, big-time football program. But I realize your definitions my differ. How do you define it? Regular appearances in Top 25 ranking? Sending players to NFL?

Someone on here mentioned before how national press articles no longer treat USF as a novelty. Recent articles (for instance the one on Mike Jenkins in USA Today) talked about USF without reservation or qualification. No mentions of trailers, lighting the practice fields with car lights, etc.

I travel quite a bit, and have had more people recognize USF branded clothes I wear.

Based on my definition, I'd say that USF is in the "arriving process". We're certainly recognized as a legit force, but need to lockdown a conference championship or two and some major bowl wins to codify our place in mainstream FBS football.

just like 100 other schoools-big deal

usf needs to win conference

only a few schools like usc,texas,ok get the respect

I think our football program has "arrived."  But, I think that is just it.  There is much to be done to maintain consistancy throughout the season.

With that being said, I live outside Orlando and often go to the Disney parks.  I am seeing more of the USF gear being worn.  And, I am seeing incredible glares coming from people wearing West Virginia football gear.  (For some reason, my gear apparantly distracts them from the reason why they are there.)

Also, the day after we lost to Rutgers.  I was on a ride with a family decked out in Louisville gear.  He eyeballed me head to toe and we started laughing.  He apologized for our loss.  And, we both agreed USF will be the next Miami of the Big East Conference.  (Upon leaving the ride, I told them that when they get back home, they can tell their friends they came to EPCOT to ride a ride with a USF alum.  Again, they laughed.)

One last thing, again I live outside Orlando.  And, last year during our run, people from my work, my church, and even from the place that changes my vehicle's oil took notice of what our football team was doing.

So, when you ask if our football program has "arrived," I say yes it has.  But, I will add that is all it has done.  And, there is more to do.

SEEMS TO  be a lot easier to say we are next miami than it is to actually become next miami

I think a good indicator if we have arrived or not is to watch the college football shows and when they do the intro's with the highlights, or between segments or leading into or out of commercials, is one of the images USF.

By that measure, we are pretty much arrived. The last espn College football show i saw last week had a shot of Grothe pointing up at the Camera after the WVU game during a video collage.

This a good conversation. You make a good point. But I think we need to see how we are viewed nationwide. I think we're being looked at by a QB on the west coast. To me thats a big deal. But I say lets wait till after next season. When we have won the BE and Bowl game. Then the 09' season will be huge. We will be ranked top 10 or top 5 in the country coming in 09' season.

lofty predictions

oregon game demonstrates how far we are from elite programs

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

This a good conversation. You make a good point. But I think we need to see how we are viewed nationwide. I think we're being looked at by a QB on the west coast. To me that's a big deal. But I say lets wait till after next season. When we have won the BE and Bowl game. Then the 09' season will be huge. We will be ranked top 10 or top 5 in the country coming in 09' season.

lofty predictions

As coach Wally Burnham said, "that was the first time all season that he knew they didn't come to compete." The bulls were lot better then the team that was on that field. And I'm glad that it happened. They're motivated to get back on the field.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

Auburn is eliter than Oregon ...

• Content Count:  808

Auburn is eliter than Oregon ...

eliter o cola?