• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Your All time USF Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

.  it would be interesting to save this thread and see if it changes within a few years.

IT BETTER!!!!

nothing against the guys on this list but lets be realistic...these players on the list were recruited when we were bascially a no-body.  now that we have some national attention and in the BCS we better be bringing in the best players we ever had.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,442
  • Days Won:  13

.  it would be interesting to save this thread and see if it changes within a few years.

IT BETTER!!!!

nothing against the guys on this list but lets be realistic...these players on the list were recruited when we were bascially a no-body.  now that we have some national attention and in the BCS we better be bringing in the best players we ever had.

These players are also the reason we are somebody now.

• Content Count:  12,293

IT BETTER!!!!

These players are also the reason we are somebody now.

no ****.  hence my comment "nothing against the guys on this list"

• Content Count:  39

QB- Blackwell

RB- Hall

FB- Crosby

WR- Hugh Smith

WR- DeAndrew Rubin

WR Huey Whittaker

TE- Trevor Hypolite (had to go to the record books for him)

OT- Levi Newton

Ot_ Walt Walker

C- Alex Heron

OG- Frank Davis

OG- Matt Hunters (maybe I need my memory refreshed)

DE- Selvie

DE- Royal

DT- Tim Jones

DT- Leroy Selmon

LB- Nicholas

LB- Mitchell

LB- T Mac

CB- Henry

CB- Jenkins

S- JR Reed

S- Nate Allen

K- Bill Gramatica

P- Brandon Baker

Returns - Ean Randolph

ok, I want a shot at this, it is a good list, here are my changes, and I made it a two deep, just for fun.

QB - Blackwell .... then Grothe

FB - Otis Dixon ..... then Crossley

RB - Hall .... then Rafael Williams (honorable mention to Dyral McMillian who had the most incredible 2 and 3 game combination I have ever seen)

WR - Rubin  ..... Huey Whitaker

WR - Hugh Smith ..... Clif Dell

TE - Trevor Hypolite (who was our go to receiver in 97) ...... Cedric Hill (Tim Jones could have been here,  if he stayed at this position)

OT Kenyatta Jones ....... Walt Walker

OT Levi Newton .......

C - Joey Sipp  ..... Alex Herron

OG Frank Davis

I'll leave the defense mostly alone, here are some second team LB's worth considering too:

Ben Moffitt

Anthony Williams

Jason Butler

Maurie Jones

Also, Anthony Henery is my starting safety (he only played corner back one year) with JR Reed. Henry's backfield mate of Roy Manns deserves consideration also, don't forget Verpale.

At corner, Jenkins is clearlly one of the two, I give the other spot to Trae Williams, our first set of corners, Bernard Brown and Glenn Davis were very good.

Punter can only be Tony Umholtz.

I would also create a special category of athlete, and give it to Brian Fisher, who should have had one more year with us.

Forgive any names I misspelled.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Only name I would add would be Shurron Pierson.  One more year and he would probably be our first first rounder.  Incredible physical talent, but needed another year to learn how to play football.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,442
  • Days Won:  13

u would be right on Jones for Walker

• Content Count:  2,661

Other names that deserve a mention on any "all time greats" thread:

Ryan Benjamin (long snapper - didn't botch one in four years)

Justin Daniel (a pretty good LS as well)

Demetrious Woods (USF's first great middle linebacker, before sidelined by off-field problems.)

Vassay Marc (USF's second great middle linebacker, before injury set in)

Jason Butler (Another early great linebacker. Fought through a lot of injuries. Was later a grad assistant at USF.)

Shawn Hay (DE and Original Bull)

Bernard Brown (DB, took a strategic redshirt in his fourth year, then had a great senior year, highlighted by breaking up a game-tying two-point try in the 2001 Pitt game)

Chad Barnhardt (now USF's third-greatest QB ever, but still worthy of mention)

Ivan Alicot (great early USF O-lineman)

Kevin Verpaele (a fine DB)

Greg Walls (an early high-rated USF signee who had a fine career at DT)

Hugh Smith (a RB/WR who really improved a lot over his career)

Rafael Williams (a workhorse RB in USF's early years)

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I was going to say Barnhardt also as an honorable mention. He was a pretty good pure passer. I give the edge to Grothe though for QB1. Blackwell was great, but I would say that his receivers were better also. Whittaker, Smith, Rubin were pretty good, caught almost everything, and made things happen. Grothe has been a victim of dropped passes quite often over the last couple of years. I would also say, and I could be wrong, but our O-line was probably better then (maybe not better, but matched up better with respect to the competition). Grothe is always under pressure.

I could be mis remembering though.

Also, if you can have a slot receiver with Rubin and Whittaker, I would throw Ean Randolph in there even though he was only here one season. That guy was a stud. I hope he get a chance to become Wes Welker for the Chiefs (he's still with them right?).

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I was going to say Barnhardt also as an honorable mention. He was a pretty good pure passer. I give the edge to Grothe though for QB1. Blackwell was great, but I would say that his receivers were better also. Whittaker, Smith, Rubin were pretty good, caught almost everything, and made things happen. Grothe has been a victim of dropped passes quite often over the last couple of years. I would also say, and I could be wrong, but our O-line was probably better then (maybe not better, but matched up better with respect to the competition). Grothe is always under pressure.

I could be mis remembering though.

Also, if you can have a slot receiver with Rubin and Whittaker, I would throw Ean Randolph in there even though he was only here one season. That guy was a stud. I hope he get a chance to become Wes Welker for the Chiefs (he's still with them right?).

It's still too early to compare most of our current players to the best of our past teams.  Most of our current players that missed the list have not had the chance to go through the development and game experience of their junior years let alone their Senior seasons.  If some of these guys continue to develop and barring injury, at the end of their senior seasons I truly expect that guys like Mitchell, Taurus Johnson, and Ford will be the best to play at USF (to this point).

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I still gotta go with Crossley at FB and Derrick Sarosi at LT. Sarosi would have definitely made it to the NFL, but he couldn't pass the physical due to a chronic injury.

USF has a senior class of twenty players, many of who made an impact with the team. Clenton Crossley had a USF record 21 touchdowns, Santiago Gramatica left as the school's all-time leading scorer and lineman Derrick Sarosi started all 44 games of USF career.

As far as Blackwell is concerned, he was much more consistent than Grothe. Had we gotten our rightful bowl invite in 2002, he probably would have set the all-time NCAA record for most passes without throwing an interception. As it was, he finished 2nd all-time in that category.

Archived