• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Xavier Lee leaving FSU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Father says Lee will not transfer, will prepare for combine instead

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 14, 2008, 11:03 AM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Xavier Lee's turbulent career at Florida State is over after the Seminoles asked him to move from quarterback to tight end, his father told the Orlando Sentinel.

Lee's father, Willie, said Xavier, a redshirt junior, was told by Florida State coaches he no longer would be playing quarterback, and that offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher had asked him to play tight end instead.

Lee, who was a much-heralded recruit out of high school but started only six games for the Seminoles, is not enrolled in spring classes at Florida State, and a Seminoles coach confirmed to the Tallahassee Democrat that Lee was no longer a part of the football program.

According to Willie Lee, Xavier likely will prepare for an anticipated invitation to the NFL scouting combine, and will not transfer to another school.

"Can't blame him, man," Willie Lee said of his son's decision to leave school, according to the Sentinel. "What else is he going to do -- sit around there and watch other kids go ahead of him?"

Lee's time at Florida State had been rocky, at best. This season, he began as the backup to Drew Weatherford, but came off the bench and engineered a 21-14 victory against Alabama. He started the next three games, but was benched again Oct. 20 after throwing two interceptions and fumbling twice in Florida State's loss to Miami.

After that, he was suspended for two games for violating the team's class attendance rules. He also never took the field for Florida State again. He had told reporters he would be eligible to play in the Music City Bowl, but when the Seminoles traveled to Nashville for the game, Lee was not with them.

Lee's mother, Gloria, told the Sentinel on Sunday that she has been "heartbroken" by her son's turbulent FSU career. "As a single parent, I'm pretty much upset, heartbroken, because of the situation they put him in and how they treated him over the years," Gloria Lee said.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Kid was a stud in high school just never elevated his game when he got to college.  Maybe he can make it as a slot WR or something?  Best of luck to him, hes gunna need it. 

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Father says Lee will not transfer, will prepare for combine instead

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 14, 2008, 11:03 AM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Xavier Lee's turbulent career at Florida State is over after the Seminoles asked him to move from quarterback to tight end, his father told the Orlando Sentinel.

Lee's father, Willie, said Xavier, a redshirt junior, was told by Florida State coaches he no longer would be playing quarterback, and that offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher had asked him to play tight end instead.

Lee, who was a much-heralded recruit out of high school but started only six games for the Seminoles, is not enrolled in spring classes at Florida State, and a Seminoles coach confirmed to the Tallahassee Democrat that Lee was no longer a part of the football program.

According to Willie Lee, Xavier likely will prepare for an anticipated invitation to the NFL scouting combine, and will not transfer to another school.

"Can't blame him, man," Willie Lee said of his son's decision to leave school, according to the Sentinel. "What else is he going to do -- sit around there and watch other kids go ahead of him?"

Lee's time at Florida State had been rocky, at best. This season, he began as the backup to Drew Weatherford, but came off the bench and engineered a 21-14 victory against Alabama. He started the next three games, but was benched again Oct. 20 after throwing two interceptions and fumbling twice in Florida State's loss to Miami.

After that, he was suspended for two games for violating the team's class attendance rules. He also never took the field for Florida State again. He had told reporters he would be eligible to play in the Music City Bowl, but when the Seminoles traveled to Nashville for the game, Lee was not with them.

Lee's mother, Gloria, told the Sentinel on Sunday that she has been "heartbroken" by her son's turbulent FSU career. "As a single parent, I'm pretty much upset, heartbroken, because of the situation they put him in and how they treated him over the years," Gloria Lee said.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

Looks like Xavier's parents are dirtbags.  Maybe they should take some of the blame for Xavier's turbulent college career instead of endorsing his decision to drop out of school.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

On the same note, FSU has a reputation of screwing over kids.... so it wouldn't suprise me if they did treat him poorly.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I never did understand why he got benched, especially since Weatherford is horrible.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

I never did understand why he got benched, especially since Weatherford is horrible.

Lee's problems appear to be more mental than physical ..... which doesn;t bode well for the NFL .... Arenaball may be a good fit.

• Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

Lee was extremely inconsistent in high school, but still garnered a high rating b/c of his upside and results from his 'good' games. His inconsistency continued into his college years. Weatherford was a heady quarterback and didn't make that many mistakes. His problem was that he didn't make anything happen, either. Lee was the opposite. He could make things happen, but he made A LOT of mistakes. It's obvious the coaching staff preferred Weatherford's style.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I am a FAMU alum. I have a lot of friends who are FSU alum and know some things about football (played the game) and athletic talent (coach the game and other sports).  Weatherford cost that team MANY games.  Lee had a horrible game against UM and got pulled.  Weatherford only doesn't start when he is injured.  There have been numerous 2+ pick games in Weatherford's career thus far and no benchings.  It does not make sense.

• Content Count:  1,370

I'm not saying Weatherford's good. He just doesn't make as many mistakes as Lee. For instance, during the 2007 season, Lee threw five INTs to Weatherford's three INTs...and this with Weatherford throwing 200 more passes.

I think Triple B hit it right....it's a lot more mental than physical. I've heard from some within the program that Lee had trouble learning the playbook and doesn't even know all of the plays. I'm sure that also plays a part in it.

• Content Count:  5,241

Lee was gonna be suspended the first 2 games anyways for cheating, and EJ Manuel is coming in there, so its about time he left tally.

Archived