• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

When we travel to the LEGO Stadium at UCF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Days Won:  0

I never post, just read but I have come to the conclusion that flsportsfan83 is the most pathetic bulls fan on the face of the earth.  He must hold the record for the most ever topics started about UCF as a Bulls Fans.  It is truly truly sad.

Glad to know Smazza is now structural engineer. You must be busy person with all the different hats you wear.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

I never post, just read but I have come to the conclusion that flsportsfan83 is the most pathetic bulls fan on the face of the earth.  He must hold the record for the most ever topics started about UCF as a Bulls Fans.  It is truly truly sad.

Glad to know Smazza is now structural engineer. You must be busy person with all the different hats you wear.

Do I get a trophy......

I think I should, if the Eastern Divison of CUSA championship gets rings.

Sure you can have a trophy, you can sit it on a shelf right next to your USF diploma in your Pizza Hut manager's office

• Content Count:  1,757

As a mechanical engineer, that statement by their student: "Added the mechanical-engineering student, "If I had no idea about this stuff, I would worry too.""  makes me wonder, WHAT IN THE ^#*% they are teaching their engineering students over there?  

This sounds like it's a potential resonance frequency problem... that can be a very powerful, very destructive and sometimes unpredictable situation.    

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse is usually lesson one learned in any good vibrations or mechanics of materials class.  In that case it was the wind, but there have been other instances of bridge and other structure collapse do to the movement and vibrations caused by people.  This would concern me a great deal.  

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Do I get a trophy......

What is your fascination with UCF?

Do I get a trophy......

What is your fascination with UCF?

do you see flsportsfan83?  your own fans think you have issues

• Content Count:  2,567

I think this story is worthy of posting, though I don't condone hanging out on UCF, or any other team's boards other than USF's, as much as some do.

• Content Count:  9,038

"There's noticeable movement," he said, but tests so far show the building is "performing in accordance with Florida building codes."

The same codes that didn't require water fountains, eh?

Sure you can have a trophy, you can sit it on a shelf right next to your USF diploma in your Pizza Hut manager's office

Actually, my sister was the manager at a Pizza Hut in Springfield, MO back in 1997-1998, and she made $750.00 a week when she quit (not including incentives).  If I had to guess, that figure would probably be around $1000 or more nowadays.  Not too shabby for supervising a bunch of kids who make the world's nastiest pizza...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

As a mechanical engineer, that statement by their student: "Added the mechanical-engineering student, "If I had no idea about this stuff, I would worry too.""  makes me wonder, WHAT IN THE ^#*% they are teaching their engineering students over there?  

This sounds like it's a potential resonance frequency problem... that can be a very powerful, very destructive and sometimes unpredictable situation.    

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse is usually lesson one learned in any good vibrations or mechanics of materials class.  In that case it was the wind, but there have been other instances of bridge and other structure collapse do to the movement and vibrations caused by people.  This would concern me a great deal.  

I'm not an engineer but it seems to me that if a structure has that much give--- wouldn't repeated vibration/bouncing/movement eventually lead to structural fatigue?

If you bend metal enough-- it becomes easier to bend and can even be broken. Sure-- they might have used some pretty strong steel and done all the calculations. But as cheaply as they built the stadium-- I would be concerned that this sucker could suffer some major collapse problems. If it were my call-- I would be overbuilding the safety factor and get rid of or limit this motion as best as possible. They were planning building upon this structure at some point-- weren'[t they?

sure am glad I will be on the field for that game next year, just in case

• Content Count:  5,903

As a mechanical engineer, that statement by their student: "Added the mechanical-engineering student, "If I had no idea about this stuff, I would worry too.""  makes me wonder, WHAT IN THE ^#*% they are teaching their engineering students over there? 

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse is usually lesson one learned in any good vibrations or mechanics of materials class.  In that case it was the wind, but there have been other instances of bridge and other structure collapse do to the movement and vibrations caused by people.  This would concern me a great deal. 

I'm not an engineer but it seems to me that if a structure has that much give--- wouldn't repeated vibration/bouncing/movement eventually lead to structural fatigue?

If you bend metal enough-- it becomes easier to bend and can even be broken. Sure-- they might have used some pretty strong steel and done all the calculations. But as cheaply as they built the stadium-- I would be concerned that this sucker could suffer some major collapse problems. If it were my call-- I would be overbuilding the safety factor and get rid of or limit this motion as best as possible. They were planning building upon this structure at some point-- weren'[t they?

sure am glad I will be on the field for that game next year, just in case

I'm not an engineer also, but from what I have heard you want things to move and sway. Things that don't tend to just snap and collapse.

Of course, I have never been in a football or baseball stadium that did this. Even in the high rise sections.

Archived