• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

roger clemens now might pitch

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

maybe we will go to  coach pitched mlb oneday

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

The DH isn't the problem so much as the fact that pitchers simply can't pitch inside anymore.

If Gibson/Drysdale/etc did any of the stuff today they did in the 60s, they'd be fined, ejected, suspended, and face constant mound-chargings from whiny, irate batters. And I'm just talking about pitching inside -- forget about something as horrid as throwing behind a guy who shows you up.

That, along with the current enforcement of the strike zone, essentially MAKE pitchers throw the ball right over the plate like it's Little League. And everybody wonders why there are so many home runs hit. Hint: the ball's not juiced.

I'm not sure about that. Pitching inside is a mindset. Players like Drysdale, Gibson, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton etc...excelled b/c not only did they have great stuff and control but they threw inside. They were fully committed to doing this as part of their game.

I doubt they would stop doing this even if they got suspended every once and awhile. Eventually they would push the issue to the point where there would have to be some legitimate discussion about what a pitcher can and can't do. Furthermore, umpires will eventually get tired of throwing these guys out of games.

For example, in hockey for years the league has been trying to clamp down on clutching and grabbing. Teams like New Jersey get penalized alot inthe early part of the year but by midseason the refs get tired of calling penalties. That is why the Devils get away with murder in the playoffs.

IMO, if enough young pitchers had the guts to pitch inside, we would eventually see the umpires return the inside strike to baseball.  There are a few youngs guy who do this like Woods, Prior and Beckett but it's going require a wholesale change to the way pitchers approach an at-bat.

Just my $0.02....

one more thing, if you want to see the inside pitch return to baseball, MLB shoud outlaw the football armor players like Barry Bond, Giambi or Many Ramierez are so fond of wearing. Players nowadays have no fear b/c of all the padding they wear.

They need to come down hard on the usage of this equipment. That is, if you are so banged up that you have to wear extra equipment then perhaps you shouldn't be playing.

I can understand an ankle guard but that arm-length armor that Bonds uses is ridiculous.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

It's just a different generation. Pitchers in the day of Gibson/Drysdale/etc were also expected to go nine innings, start 38 or more games a year, pitch relief on occasion, and produce at the plate. (Check the batting stats for any of these guys -- all could swing the bat. Drysdale had like 15 career homers.)

The modern approach to developing pitchers sucks in a lot of ways. The mentality you speak of is merely one of them. Few modern day pitchers can really intimidate you like these guys did. I would put Clemens, Pedro, and Randy Johnson in their category, but that's about it. Pitching is less about intimidation, and is more cerebral -- the Greg Maddux approach.

So I don't know if it's a rules thing, a mentatlity thing, or what, but the bottom line is that it's a different game altogether. This is probably just one of several factors.

children are crybabies today based on my 20 years of coaching

i think this translates to players today that don't want to be hit with ball

there will never be another Don Baylor who got hit by at least 300 pitches during his long career.

Most players today would charge the mound if a pitch is anywhere close to being inside.

It's just a different game than when I was growing up. Just to give you a reference point, I really started following baseball in the mid-1970s. My 'heros' were REggie Jackson, roy white and Lou pinella. I was also a big fan of Mike Schmidt.

How much money do you think a player like Schmidt would make? Is there an infielder in baseball today outside of A-Rod as talented as Micheal Jack?

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Most players today would charge the mound if a pitch is anywhere close to being inside.

Yeah, which is another part of the whole "pitching inside" problem we've been discussing. Most guys take it as a personal assault if you dare use the inside half of the plate.

The only good baseball fight I ever saw was 44-year-old Nolan Ryan getting a half-his-age Robin Ventura in a headlock and punching him 50 times with his non-pitching hand. Ventura had charged the mound over ordinary high-and-hard pitching he had no right to gripe about, and it was great to see him get what he deserved. Plus there was such a huge fight going on that no one even noticed. It was hilarious.

I MET RYAN AS A  rookie with the mets

cb-roy white as a very underated players