• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Grothe Needs to Play Better!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  0

Postmortem and Southshore, it does not matter how talented your running backs or QB is if they have no offensive line.  The line protects for the pass plays and opens gaps for the running game.  If it does not do one of those things a team becomes predictable and is shut down.  If it does neither you have what you see out of USF right now....a versitle QB taking the team on his shoulders and trying to do it all himself.  This leads to him looking bad because he will not be able to do it all and will make mistakes. 

The simple fact is that as the season has progressed we have gotten banged up on the O-line and our attack has become one or non-dimensional (with the exception of what Matt G. can create on his own or what his recievers, if you want to call them that, catch).

So to complete the circle, if the O-line does not perform, the "skill" positions become almost worthless on attack and new ones won't solve the problem.  We need talent on the O-line pronto!

I understand we have O-line problems but we should still be able to take off some of the pressure from Matt with the talent we have at the run game. We have enough talent and misdirection to still run the ball enough. Matt runs it just fine, backs should be and are completely able to run it just as well.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Let's call a spade a spade, Grothe killed at least 3 drives.  I'm not blaming him for the loss, but lets be real about this.  From 20-20 he was all world, but inside he struggled.

The problem with our team is ultimately, when we need 1 yard, we can't line up and get one yard by a simple handoff.  We're not a tough team, and when you start to turn the ball over, it makes us very average at best. 

• Content Count:  5,241

Grothe is our offense. Our RBs are not that good yet where we can depend on them.

Our O-line is definitley a key issue, with Walt Walker out, and Capogna not playing much or at all since Elon, we are struggling.

Its a whole team thing thou, and the whole team needs to work on holding the friggin ball and Grothe needs to work on not throwing INTS!!!

Frustrating!

• Content Count:  1,370

Postmortem and Southshore, it does not matter how talented your running backs or QB is if they have no offensive line.  The line protects for the pass plays and opens gaps for the running game.  If it does not do one of those things a team becomes predictable and is shut down.  If it does neither you have what you see out of USF right now....a versitle QB taking the team on his shoulders and trying to do it all himself.  This leads to him looking bad because he will not be able to do it all and will make mistakes.  

The simple fact is that as the season has progressed we have gotten banged up on the O-line and our attack has become one or non-dimensional (with the exception of what Matt G. can create on his own or what his recievers, if you want to call them that, catch).

So to complete the circle, if the O-line does not perform, the "skill" positions become almost worthless on attack and new ones won't solve the problem.  We need talent on the O-line pronto!

Very true and good point. The most important component of any team is the offensive line. As I said in an earlier post, the reason for the open (spread) offense is due to fact that we have inexperienced, and unfortunately mediocre offensive linemen. We need to recruit some good ones in here...especially with the loss of Walker, our best lineman.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,549
  • Days Won:  29

Wanting to bench Grothe is just ignorant.

He had a bad game, but it was Grothe that had those of us who stayed to the end seeing the possible comeback victory. He is far from the reason we lost yesterday or the other 2 games. But he is the reason we almost won all 3.

We had a lot of mistakes from many.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  231

Has anyone ever seen Grothe audible out of a play?  It seems he just runs the plays that are called, a good QB reads defenses and audibles out of plays.  Havent' seen him do that one time this year.

Has anyone ever seen Grothe audible out of a play?  ...

Yes

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Bulls fan, are you down on the field?  My spouse and I have seen him aublile many plays

Grothe is a good QB and if we were winning , I am sure I would not be reading these types of posts, I don't think I saw them the first 6 games

• Content Count:  231

I should been a little bit more clear, he has audibled out of plays bc he looks over at the side line and the coaches tell him to change the play.  He hasn't just taken over a play without the coaches help. 

I have seen him audible out of plays.

I have seen him look at 2nd & 3rd receivers.

I have seen him throw the ball long.

I have not seen him leap tall buildings.

I expect great things from him the remaining of this season and for 2 more.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived